Windows 8.1 Release update. What happens if you have the 8.1 preview installed

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
When my carrier sends the final release version of Windows 8.1 update and I already have the preview version installed, will I automatically get the final release or do I have to revert back to WP 8?

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You will get the final release without having to revert. It worked the same when GDR3 was released for anyone on the developer preview.

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
As dev preview is identical to the final release, you will not re-download 8.1, but only the specific firmware for your phone ( Nokia Cyan if you have a Nokia).

It was already the case with WP8 Update 3, for which I had the preview: when it became official, I only downloaded Nokia Black.

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
You will. Dev preview is only a bit in advance compared to the final release, and is then updated if necessary to bring it on par with the official release when it is released.

This is why we got a small update just before the release of the final 8.1 (on the Lumia 630, first phone shipping with official 8.1).

You now have the final 8.1, identical to that of the Lumia 630, and will only download Cyan when released for the Icon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786