Ok giving into Peer pressure... going to 8.1 early.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been debating mostly with my self about moving up to 8.1 Dev Preview... I finally did it last night... I must say the process was surprisingly quick and easy.

For me the tipping point was the statements I read about what happens when the carrier/OEM sends out the 8.1 update. As I read it, this is really not a concern. The end result is suppose to be a device that is same as if you waited for the carrier/OEM update (well mostly the same that is)... the exception of course, that you get updates early and carrier/OEM specific changes. That can be good and bad of course, but I'm less concern about minor bad things than conflicts between what I allow to update early and what the carrier/OEM wants to update (this can be a nightmare on the Android platform because you don't have a single control source of the OS and everyone has their fingers in the device and the OS).

Anyway... did it done it... now my dev environment is in sync with my device.... The changes in the UI with the 8.1 update... well ya...lots of talk about that around here.... and all good (well mostly). :cool:

~ScottGeek.

Update: Oh sorry... put this in the wrong place... should have been in the 8.1 area... ooopsss.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It'll take a day (or two) to settle out. You should then be able to enjoy the 8.1 goodness, with only minor glitches (or none @ all).

My Lumia 1520 has been on Dev Preview for about a month, has settled down nicely & enhanced by the recent update to Dev Preview. I even have been able to have TimeMe remain resident (not stop) for days @ time (it's still in beta). LUV the Notification Centre, the background image has made the Start screen, & am sliding down to close apps (catch myself trying on wife's Lumia 920 w/o Dev Preview).

Waiting patiently for the full update (Lumia Cyan) & the Joe Belfiore promised File Manager, though I'm currently using Aerize Explorer. Maybe dive in to the APIs & develop something useful (hmmm, SMS picker to delete more than 1 @ a time, but NOT the whole thread, much like email)!

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
It'll take a day (or two) to settle out. You should then be able to enjoy the 8.1 goodness, with only minor glitches (or none @ all).

My Lumia 1520 has been on Dev Preview for about a month, has settled down nicely & enhanced by the recent update to Dev Preview. I even have been able to have TimeMe remain resident (not stop) for days @ time (it's still in beta). LUV the Notification Centre, the background image has made the Start screen, & am sliding down to close apps (catch myself trying on wife's Lumia 920 w/o Dev Preview).

Waiting patiently for the full update (Lumia Cyan) & the Joe Belfiore promised File Manager, though I'm currently using Aerize Explorer. Maybe dive in to the APIs & develop something useful (hmmm, SMS picker to delete more than 1 @ a time, but NOT the whole thread, much like email)!

Indeed, I'm liking the "new" notification area... it falls inline with what I'm use to on Android (yeap I'll have lots of comparing statements like that...get use to it :))

So, Lumia Black? Lumia Cyan? How does that naming scheme fit in with Windows 8.1? Specific to Nokia Firmware/Hardware... I gather? Not sure I understand the relationship there... Illuminate, please!? (yeap every single pun intended :excited: )

Thanks ~ScottGeek.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Black is the Nokia firmware accompanying Windows Phone 8 Update 3. Lumia Cyan is the firmware accompanying Windows Phone 8.1... that's about it. As far as the naming scheme is concerned, looks like colours in alphabetical order (Amber, Black, Cyan). Though it'll be interesting to see what happens with future updates since that division of Nokia now belongs to Microsoft.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Black is the Nokia firmware accompanying Windows Phone 8 Update 3. Lumia Cyan is the firmware accompanying Windows Phone 8.1... that's about it. As far as the naming scheme is concerned, looks like colours in alphabetical order (Amber, Black, Cyan). Though it'll be interesting to see what happens with future updates since that division of Nokia now belongs to Microsoft.

Ah, ok... I suspected that.... Indeed it should be interesting to see what happens to the entire 8.x line of Microsoft products... haven't turned on any of that sync'ing stuff between my RT Table, PC, and phone... it should be interesting.

~ScottGeek

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you'll find it fairly smooth sailing. Between performing a hard reset and the subsequent 8.1 update my Lumia 822 has been running nicely. You can always revert if you like be using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. I used it to restore a Lumia 520 I use as a media player back to Black as the 520 just didn't like the Preview. My 822 does like it and seeing as that's my primary phone, that's what matters. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb