Is the 8.1 keyboard smarter?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of the ones that didn't upgrade to 8.1 dp, so I rely on your descriptions and opinions alot. I want to know if the 8.1 keyboard is smarter at word prediction. It seems as though the current 8.0 keyboard isn't terrible, but isn't great either. Sometimes I have to type every letter except for the last one for the desired word to appear. Also, it seems as though the keyboard doesn't "learn" the wording patterns to predict words better. Has this changed?

What are your thoughts?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I've mostly used the shape writing which has been phenomenal but the few words I do have to type out, it did have to learn. That said, it's learned my word patterns so well that I've only typed 17 letters in this post tapping the keys.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I've mostly used the shape writing which has been phenomenal but the few words I do have to type out, it did have to learn. That said, it's learned my word patterns so well that I've only typed 17 letters in this post tapping the keys.

Oh great! You mean the "swype" function?

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I can't go back to tapping now. Swyping is the only way to text. It's fluid, fast, predicts words better and I can do it with one hand just as fast as two.

I've gotten into the habit of laying the phone down and responding with left-handed swypes when I need to use my right hand for note taking or other important tasks (like holding a beer).

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't go back to tapping now. Swyping is the only way to text. It's fluid, fast, predicts words better and I can do it with one hand just as fast as two.

I've gotten into the habit of laying the phone down and responding with left-handed swypes when I need to use my right hand for note taking or other important tasks (like holding a beer).

I know of a certain someone who swears by swype and tried to convince me that it was the only efficient way to type! I couldn't wait to tell them that the new 8.1 had a "swype" function!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Swype is the only thing I missed coming back to WP. And now I have it with 8.1 I am one happy camper.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I think the predictive texting has gotten WORSE in WP8.1.
Let's take my wife...
I text her "Headed home", a lot.
With Windows Phone 8.0, I would tap her tile, tap Send Text, tap "h", tap "Headed", tap "home", and tap the send icon.
Now, I have to spell out "Headed" and "home" ("home" should automatically be predicted, by historical memory).

There is another guy that I text "MP3 is uploaded", nearly every week (and that's about all I text him).
When I initiate a text, to him, it should automatically predict that I'll start with MP3 and then, if I choose that entry, automatically predict the rest of the words.
Windows Phone 8.0 didn't do that (I hear that Android does), but it should predict following words (again, from history).
Windows Phone 8.1 seems to have lost that ability and will only give predictions to the single word that you're typing.
JJ

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of the ones that didn't upgrade to 8.1 dp, so I rely on your descriptions and opinions alot. I want to know if the 8.1 keyboard is smarter at word prediction. It seems as though the current 8.0 keyboard isn't terrible, but isn't great either. Sometimes I have to type every letter except for the last one for the desired word to appear. Also, it seems as though the keyboard doesn't "learn" the wording patterns to predict words better. Has this changed?

What are your thoughts?

The keyboard has gotten worse with each release after 7.1 (NoDo) - unfortunately 8.1 is included in this trend. However, the swype-alike keyboard in 8.1 is extremely accurate (practically telepathic) so if you can adapt to that method then that's the way to go. Hopefully MS won't mess that up in future releases, but that seems to be the trend with WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium