When should I start worrying about the spinning gears when updating?

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 920. I took the chance of updating it to 8.1. It's been on the spinning gears for about 20 minutes now. When should I start to worry? How long does this usually take? It seems like the progress bar isn't moving since it's been there since it started. I have it plugged in.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey don't worry it might take some time (it all depends on how much free space was there on your phone, on my Lumia 920 8GB was left and gears took 45min to complete) Just keep it plugged in to a power source and it will move after some time. After this step it will migrate your data (19 steps ) and the 13th step might take some time :)

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 920. I took the chance of updating it to 8.1. It's been on the spinning gears for about 20 minutes now. When should I start to worry? How long does this usually take? It seems like the progress bar isn't moving since it's been there since it started. I have it plugged in.

It took me around 20mins on that part. Just let it be for a while and soon you'll see the progress bar. It's scary, I know. But that's normal especially if your phone is quite loaded. After that it's just the migration part then you're good to go.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I just did it today on my Lumia 925 n it took about 15-20 mins. I'd only start worrying about the 45min mark but I have heard it take as long as n hr

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey don't worry it might take some time (it all depends on how much free space was there on your phone, on my Lumia 920 8GB was left and gears took 45min to complete) Just keep it plugged in to a power source and it will move after some time. After this step it will migrate your data (19 steps ) and the 13th step might take some time :)

Oh that's quite long ! I guess then I'd remove all apps which don't have any meaningful app data (eg save files) before upgrading. I'm gonna do a hard reset anyway after upgrading and backing up my save data of games, so i better remove apps for which i dont have any saves.
sorry for off topic, but i need a quick reply:
How does the app data backup work ? For example, if i backup app data of rabbids big bang, would it backup the whole game or just its 'app data', which is shown as a light blue bar in storage check ? I hope its the latter. Also, can i choose which apps to backup and which not to ?

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
After much worrying and waiting, the update has installed successfully :grin:. Now, let's hope there are no bugs, haha!

Check your camera, microphone, bluetooth and wifi. Bugs often seem to occur in those functions. Hopefully yours won't have any problems. Don't worry if your battery drains quickly for now. That's normal. It'll soon settle and you'll have better battery power. Have fun with WP8.1 :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss