Windows phone is limited to 7 applications at once

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed that the multitasking in windows phone 8.1 or maybe 8 is limited to opening 7 applications at once... Has anyone else noticed this or am I wrong ?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
it depends on how much RAM is allotted each app in background. I tested the same on my iPad here are the results. I opened asphalt 8 game played for few seconds and then I jumped to safari (Windows Phone Central | News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows Phone) then I opened another game , infinity blade 2 , then I jumped to real racing 3 and then I finally opened flipboard to read some tech magazines. I was back to the home screen and then I was in multitasking window where it shows all the opened apps , as soon as I tap on asphalt 8 game wasn't resumed from the last state where I left , instead it was refreshing from start , same goes for real racing. what ios does is it releases memory without knowing. Where as windows phone 8/8.1 does the same but it does not show the app anymore in multi tasking window.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell with actual apps being open and stuff, but the multitasking UI only shows the last 7-8 screens/apps regardless. I think.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I cannot get apps to multitask in windows phone 8.1. When using splashtop it closes if I leave unlike the android version. I cannot get youtube audio to continue playing if I am doing something else. either. Overall multitasking capabilities seem rather poor on a lumia 925.

Amrykid

Banned
Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I cannot get apps to multitask in windows phone 8.1. When using splashtop it closes if I leave unlike the android version. I cannot get youtube audio to continue playing if I am doing something else. either. Overall multitasking capabilities seem rather poor on a lumia 925.

If an app doesn't want to "multitask", its probably the app and not the OS. Are you pressing the Home button while an app is running or are you pressing back?

YouTube audio is probably related to it being a video and when you leave the app/tab, the video gets unloaded. It does continue to play if you lock your phone though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo