Is Xbox Music as mind-numbingly awful on newer Windows Phones?

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Using a Lumia 520 running 8.1 developer's as a music player and the Xbox Music app is likely the worst piece of software I've ever used. Slow, buggy, won't load artist names, etc. Any chance this is due to low specs on my phone or is it as bad on newer phones?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Worth noting that 8.1 hasn't seen the public release yet. So it still is vaguely excusable as beta.

It sucks universally as it's the same across the 8.1 board. The extra horsepower of higher end phone probably does help somewhat, but it won't cover for the plain badness it is in currently.

If it's any consolation, they're improving it with biweekly updates, so they got that going for them.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my iPod and iPhone for Zune and WP7 and the awesome music experience with the Zune player.

Let's just say that sticking with MSFT for music has been the biggest bust of my technological purchasing career.

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
It DOES sucks! Full of bugs. Keeps screwing my playlists (deleting songs from it). Song's tag info is read so badly.

Btw, i have all my music in my sd card (Lumia 1520).

Greetings.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I took my 520 back to 8.0 for mostly this reason. I use it strictly for music and 8.1 wasn't cutting it plus I had a ton of issues with the sd card that don't exist on 8.0. 8.1 is working great on my 822 but not so much on the 520.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I took my 520 back to 8.0 for mostly this reason. I use it strictly for music and 8.1 wasn't cutting it plus I had a ton of issues with the sd card that don't exist on 8.0. 8.1 is working great on my 822 but not so much on the 520.

Is there an easy way to do this? Other than I'm guessing a factory reset?

wp_hero

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Last update brought nice features like swipe to change track but it still doesnt feel wp7-8 smooth and overall fast, is a lot of buggy clumsy

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
if you want the old music player, you can use the Music Hub Tile app by reker without nuking and reverting to 8.0.
Assuming he hasn't taken it paid I don't remember. But still, worth it for me.
You get the Music half of the Music+Videos hub and the same old UI. Except no recent/new lists.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Worth noting that 8.1 hasn't seen the public release yet. So it still is vaguely excusable as beta.

It sucks universally as it's the same across the 8.1 board. The extra horsepower of higher end phone probably does help somewhat, but it won't cover for the plain badness it is in currently.

If it's any consolation, they're improving it with biweekly updates, so they got that going for them.

It's available on new phones now. The 630 is out in India and the UK. The "beta" tag has expired, IMO.

I wish those updates actually fixed problems and didn't just add features. :(

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
if you want the old music player, you can use the Music Hub Tile app by reker without nuking and reverting to 8.0.
Assuming he hasn't taken it paid I don't remember. But still, worth it for me.
You get the Music half of the Music+Videos hub and the same old UI. Except no recent/new lists.

Downloaded this. Costs 99 cents to use as a shortcut but worth it. Now it's at least usable.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb