Reply emails returning with address not known.

Rob Bushell

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I have had an issue with the two recent reply's I have tried to send to emails (personal address)

One was on a sky address the other was gmail..
standard text reply to emails from family, couple of sentences each way, but after I send the reply email, well around 30 minutes I get a postmaster reply with the email attached as a .eml and an ATT file.. (attachment, due to the way Windows phone captures the previous email in the reply, I think) saying that this email address returened with the following failures :- does not exist...

both addresses are perfect, they are saved on several devices, I have replied to them many times over the years and they just sent me a mail from it so they have not closed recently. yet the postmaster seems adamant..

Luckily both times I was at home and could retype the email on the Desktop and send.
emails I send work fine emails I send to any of my addresses, work and personal all come straight back to the phone's inbox, newsletters and such come in. Just the replies seem to get bounced.

Is anyone else getting this problem?
google is returning bugger all..

I am running the preview for developers and have had the first update to 8.1.. (that sorted the charging screen lock up and alarm issues)
and no updates available.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
We need more info. Who is your email provider? Does one account support multiple email addresses (example: Outlook.com with a Gmail account added to it).

A bounce back email wouldn't have anything to do with Windows Phone. But it could have something to do with your account and the way your email is being sent (send on behalf).

Rob Bushell

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
my outlook account, the one the phone uses, is gathering emails from gmail, aol and btinternet..

the email I'm replying to is a gmail address that sent a mail to aol.. I replied from phone through outlook... I have no idea how outlook routes emails and they offer zero info on this, its a hard search as there are a lot of catch-all words.

the exact postmaster email I get says:
postmater at mail dot hotmail dot com
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (failure)

this is automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.

xxxxxxx@gmail.com

the other postmaster mail was the same but with a @sky.com email address.
both had the email attached in the regular bounce fashion, an ATT file, 1kb, and a .eml file, 3kb's.

but if i send a fresh mail to them it goes fine.. only replies seem to fox it..
I'm guessing that the way outlook 'sends on behalf of' other email addresses this is seen as a spoof or some other dodgy-ness and the competition's servers reject it, with a not known..

Rob Bushell

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
no any email I reply to just gets bounced back..
Then I have to cut the text and paste into a new mail then address it and send, and it goes.
so it has happened on a @sky.com
@gmail.com
@celeris.com
@sunsky-online.com

and EVERY time I click reply to.... 3 minutes later I get the email back with the same non-descript reason.. MS are douches.

Rob Bushell

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
ok so sending a mail from the phone to my outlook address and replying from phone works fine.

I think it might be the 'sending on behalf' thing, it does, when the original email is from one of the accounts that outlook gathers from.
all the failed emails have originated (been sent to) my aol address. So maybe aol's anti spam filters are kicking in and not liking the 'spoofing' style of the sent on behalf off (assuming the reply gets routed through the original address's server)

error code is explained on the link below-- so I seem to be on the right lines..
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN7253.html?impressions=true

the error code from gmail address says the originating IP is listed at spamhaus. and has been blocked as spam.

also in the postmaster message the recipient field has the number rfc822 as well as the only address I replied to.. rfc822 seems to be a email address validation service based in the uk

Is there any real information on how the outlook system works, something with big words not stupid FAQ's and how-to's.

------------------------------
latest test.
I sent a mail to a gathered mail address from my PC.
then replied from the phone, and received..... (I have changed the first part of email address)

==
Reporting-MTA: dns;DUB004-OMC4S32.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;DUB407-EAS181
Arrival-Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 01:54:15 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;memememememe@aol.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;521 5.2.1 : (DMARC) This message failed DMARC Evaluation for an AOL Domain.

An actual meaningful error message, there is an authentication problem with outlook.
DMARC = Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance

Now..
What can I do about it?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss