Switching from 32GB to 64GB SD Card?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 32GB SD card in my 810 and have used that ever since I got the phone in Nov. 2012. Lately, I'm thinking about upgrading to a 64GB card since it's now possible to install apps on SD cards in 8.1. Of course, there's the issue of all my apps, plus photos and music on my 32GB card. My question is this: Is it at all possible to transfer all my stuff from the 32GB card to a brand new 64GB card? How would one go about doing that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Copy the files on the SD card to a pc, put in the new card in the Phone and copy it to the sd card.
Music and pictures will surely work, if an app doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I thought I might have to do it that way. Was hoping there was some "magical" trick that would make it even simpler, but it's not a biggie. :smile:

Randorf001

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! I thought I might have to do it that way. Was hoping there was some "magical" trick that would make it even simpler, but it's not a biggie. :smile:
Here's what I did recently to address the exact same situation on my Lumia 1520:

1. Move all apps to the phone.
2. Remove the microSD card and copy the contents to a folder on a PC.
3. Copy the files to the new microSD card.
4. Put the new card in the phone and configure all your stuff to go there.
5. Move the apps back to the SD card.

I don't think copying the apps will work because the phone seems to link the memory card and the apps on it somehow. But moving them to the phone (space permitting) works fine. If there isn't enough space on the phone for your apps then reinstalling will likely be the only option.

Good Luck !!!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I did recently to address the exact same situation on my Lumia 1520:

1. Move all apps to the phone.
2. Remove the microSD card and copy the contents to a folder on a PC.
3. Copy the files to the new microSD card.
4. Put the new card in the phone and configure all your stuff to go there.
5. Move the apps back to the SD card.

I don't think copying the apps will work because the phone seems to link the memory card and the apps on it somehow. But moving them to the phone (space permitting) works fine. If there isn't enough space on the phone for your apps then reinstalling will likely be the only option.

Good Luck !!!

Thank you! :grin: I was thinking about it and I have at least one app that's no longer published on my 810 that I don't want to lose. I was thinking it's probably a better idea to move the apps back to the phone's internal storage. I just hope I have enough space - but I think I do. Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett