Windows Phone 8.1 Sudden Crash/Hang/Reboot. Solved when SD card is removed.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Ahh makes sense. So would an actual reset help? Every time I have done a reset it seems to happen again fairly quickly. Assuming that a hard reset would clear anything left on disc, why would it get fragmented so soon after? Soon being in a few days.

I guess I should just bite the bullet and send it in *sighs*.

Sounds like you have an app not playing nice, if it was an oom issue 90% of the time it will force reboot itself and 100% of the time a reboot will fix oom.
I would uninstall the apps and reinstall one by one till you find the at fault app. Also if your on 8.1 a lot of apps dont play well if run from the SD card, at least for me.

You say you have done hard resets, did you reinstall a backup?

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
It happens in all phones, I guess. Android has all these memory and junk cleaner apps. You'll see almost everyone using them. That somehow keeps the phone in shape. In Windows we do not have those options. The memory is fine. But WP8.1 needs a good maintenance option...which means SSD defrag + user requested chkdsk scans + junk files cleaning.

However, the reason they do not put this is because more read/writes reduce flash memory life.

Junk or app killers cause more harm then good, most if not all people that use them dont understand how android memory management and the kernel works. Stock android memory management sucks that's why people have so much trouble with them then putting an app killer on only makes it worse because most apps start back up the moment you kill them. Freezing or uninstalling is one fix, going into the kernel and build properties and adjusting the oom, lmk, delvik, and so on is the best way to fix it.
Android seems to think adding ram is the answer but its not. Kit Kat runs the same oom and lmk settings as gingerbread did!!! And of course just like anything android you need to root to fix it.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have an app not playing nice, if it was an oom issue 90% of the time it will force reboot itself and 100% of the time a reboot will fix oom.
I would uninstall the apps and reinstall one by one till you find the at fault app. Also if your on 8.1 a lot of apps dont play well if run from the SD card, at least for me.

You say you have done hard resets, did you reinstall a backup?

I have actually just used the Nokia recovery tool. It put me back to 8.0 black. Its pretty much a fresh install. Meaning that none of my cloud backups of apps or settings synced. The only thing that synced of course was contacts when I signed into my account. Well see what happens. Thanks for the feed back. Its been informative.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
back up your data from SD card, put the SD card into the phone, quickly go to setting > data sense > SD card > format SD card

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have actually just used the Nokia recovery tool. It put me back to 8.0 black. Its pretty much a fresh install. Meaning that none of my cloud backups of apps or settings synced. The only thing that synced of course was contacts when I signed into my account. Well see what happens. Thanks for the feed back. Its been informative.

Ok good, but if that doesn't help then you have a hardware issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo