Battery life after Whatsapp update

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The new Whatsapp update has added the feature for "Media auto download", with which you can control the auto download of media based on network. This has increased the battery life considerably. Below are my settings for Whatsapp and the battery life on Lumia 1020

How is your phones battery? Pls share
Sent from my RM-875_apac_sea_220 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140601_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140601_0001.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 20
  • wp_ss_20140601_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140601_0002.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 20

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
So far, I do not see any difference, battery life is still "meh".

But besides WhatsApp, I also use WeChat and Skype. Maybe someone can confirm this combo is not so good for the battery life? Android does this fine btw, my Moto G can run like 6 chat apps, without getting an unreliable battery life.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So far, I do not see any difference, battery life is still "meh".

But besides WhatsApp, I also use WeChat and Skype. Maybe someone can confirm this combo is not so good for the battery life? Android does this fine btw, my Moto G can run like 6 chat apps, without getting an unreliable battery life.

Saw a user tip about Skype being the culprit for battery drain. I just got it uninstalled about 2 minutes ago. I will monitor my battery and get back to you guys :)

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Can't you just use Battery Saver to monitor what's using up your battery the most?

If it was possible to read it, yes. But over what period does the battery saver show info? What it shows at the moment is that most apps don't eat so much in the background, but WhatsApp and WeChat eat a lot when running. Yet, on standby without using those apps, the battery is kinda dead within a day.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If it was possible to read it, yes. But over what period does the battery saver show info? What it shows at the moment is that most apps don't eat so much in the background, but WhatsApp and WeChat eat a lot when running. Yet, on standby without using those apps, the battery is kinda dead within a day.

Well, I came to the conclusion that Battery Saver indicates battery usage over a vague last few days, based simply on the fact that it doesn't include apps I used, say, four days ago.

WhatsApp does tend to use a lot of battery when in use, and I do use it a lot. But according to my Battery Saver, Internet Explorer, OneNote and er, Kinectimals have taken the most battery. Clipr (which I used for half an hour) and WPCentral have taken more than WhatsApp.

Since WP8.1 my battery has been much poorer, so I tend to blame that, rather than WhatsApp.

ujori89

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
On the battery saver i see WhatsApp is the first app who drain battery . This happen after last update, before it wasn't WhatsApp

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I leave all allowed under Battery Saver in WP8.1 and my Lumia 1020 battery life is about the same. I did have to block most apps in background in WP8.0 though. So, I'd say technically its better for me in WP8.1.

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp still remains the main culprit in gobbling up battery power. If I just spent 30 mins to 45 mins chatting to my gf on whatsapp and my battery percentage moved from 50% to 17%. Granted I had my photo hub open, still there is no excuse for that kind of greed on the part of whatsapp. I use a NL920 WP8.1.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Whatsapp still remains the main culprit in gobbling up battery power. If I just spent 30 mins to 45 mins chatting to my gf on whatsapp and my battery percentage moved from 50% to 17%. Granted I had my photo hub open, still there is no excuse for that kind of greed on the part of whatsapp. I use a NL920 WP8.1.

Yep! Same issue for me. I don't even dare to use WhatsApp too much when I know I cannot charge my phone during the day. Sometimes I even hesitate listening to music. But all chat apps are battery drainers on WP, save Skype maybe!

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep! Same issue for me. I don't even dare to use WhatsApp too much when I know I cannot charge my phone during the day. Sometimes I even hesitate listening to music. But all chat apps are battery drainers on WP, save Skype maybe!

From my personal experience, receiving or sending text messages on chat app does not drain battery. The biggest drainer is media content sent or received. So I changed media auto download to manual and everything works fine.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
From my personal experience, receiving or sending text messages on chat app does not drain battery. The biggest drainer is media content sent or received. So I changed media auto download to manual and everything works fine.

Do you get so much media content then? Or does WhatsApp check for media content through another service?

caihuire

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp has ALWAYS been the No. 1 on my battery usage list... Second place changes constantly, though...
Maybe it's time to ditch Whatsapp altogether? I can hardly get 8 hours of battery life on a fully charged 1020 with nothing but Whatsapp usage (max 10 messages per hour so not really high)...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro