06-09-2014 02:58 AM
57 123
tools
    I've used pretty much every single available file manager app so far. Folders beta was my personal choice, but MS's Files is imho the best one out there. Compared to every other app it's blazing fast, with a very clean design. The only two things I'm currently missing from it is the ability to extract ZIP archives and swiping through pictures.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-02-2014 04:38 AM
    Remember how we can't send multiple documents through e-mail before? We can now.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-02-2014 04:47 AM
    Remember how we can't send multiple documents through e-mail before? We can now.
    But we still can't attach documents or music in replies. Microsoft needs to add a full fledged file picker to the mail app.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-02-2014 04:58 AM
    Joe Belfiore said on Tweeter that you can tweet on this account https://twitter.com/winphonesupport about issues on Windows Phone apps or OS.
    I tweet them about issue with Bluetooth recieved files. When I send PDF document from my laptop to my L920 via bluetooth, I can't find that PDF on my phone via Files. I suggest them to put Bluetooth folder to store recieved files from bluetooth.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-02-2014 05:50 AM
    I like it... and I honestly don't need it, but I'll keep it just in case.
    06-02-2014 05:54 AM
    One of the major feature is still left untouched, and that is to access files present in the third party applications. Like many of the pdf documents are present in my Adobe reader application but, I'm unable to find and access those files in the official file manager.

I suggest that they should bring this feature in the next update.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-02-2014 06:09 AM
    How do you send mmultiple documents now?
    06-02-2014 06:15 AM
    One of the major feature is still left untouched, and that is to access files present in the third party applications.
    For over a year I've been explaining why, whatever is eventually called a file manager, won't do that. And we can now see that it doesn't. A future version of this app won't do that either.

More likely is that some apps, like pdf readers, may start storing their files outside of local storage. There are other solutions to that problem too. I don't know which MS will pick, if any, but like I've always said, whatever it is, it won't provide access to app's local storage.
    Last edited by a5cent; 06-02-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    neo158 likes this.
    06-02-2014 06:23 AM
    For over a year I've been explaining why, whatever is eventually called a file manager, won't do that. And we can now see that it doesn't. A future version of this app won't do that either.

More likely is that some apps, like pdf readers, may start storing their files outside of local storage. There are other solutions to that problem too. I don't know which MS will pick, if any, but like I've always said, whatever it is, it won't provide access to apps's local storage.

please forgive my ignorance but simply why will it not access these files? again i am new and am only asking.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-02-2014 06:58 AM
    please forgive my ignorance but simply why will it not access these files? again i am new and am only asking.
    Every single app runs in a so called sandbox, which basically means that whatever data this app may store on your device is only accessible for this specific app and not exposed to others. Microsoft may have the tools and possibilities to bypass this restriction with their own apps, but they'd certainly not make use of it, as it means a security risk. Not to mention that users could easily destroy apps or even parts of the OS, if they had a chance to access the entire file system.
    I'm with a5cent here, there are definitely ways for devs to work around these limitations, for example by storing documents like PDF not in the isolated storage (sandbox) of their app, but one that's accessible from outside. But this is up to app devs, not Microsoft.
    neo158 likes this.
    06-02-2014 07:21 AM
    It's more of usage than liking honestly..It's perfect because its a no-frills version and does the job well...so, my vote: YES> Like it.
    06-02-2014 07:32 AM
    I like it. My main gripe is that it's still harder than it should be to get files in and out of the phone (in especially). I keep Pocket File Manager around for its FTP support. Windows networking support would be nice, eh?
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-02-2014 07:40 AM
    I can't think of a time I've ever needed to manage files on a phone. What do people use it for?
    I always thought that and still do for the most part but I downloaded it to try it out and I'm quite impressed, I don't see myself using it a lot but for the times when I'm not at my PC and don't have my tablet with me it will prove useful.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-02-2014 07:44 AM
    I always thought that and still do for the most part but I downloaded it to try it out and I'm quite impressed, I don't see myself using it a lot but for the times when I'm not at my PC and don't have my tablet with me it will prove useful.
    I'm mostly using it to keep my photos organized. Being able to move files to different folders without having to connect to a tablet or PC is quite convenient.
    neo158 and Kevin Rush like this.
    06-02-2014 07:50 AM
    The ability to download files from the OneDrive app and access them from the Download folder in the native File Manager app is the sole reason I downloaded it in the first place. Primarily because I have albums that aren't on Xbox Music and its frustrating that I need a subscription to even use that app in the first place. Its likely not that simple to fix, but by God that would be a very nice step towards unification and lack of wire transfers.
    06-02-2014 07:53 AM
    Security.

I know that is not really a useful explanation by itself. Unfortunately, any explanation will be vast and complicated. Not something that is easily discussed on a consumer forum. Do consider however, that security is just as much about securing a device from users themselves, prying family members, and even ignorant developers... statistically, there is nothing more dangerous to smartphone data than the smartphone's user or family members. Next come ignorant developers and lastly, malicious developers and hackers. The last category just gets the most media attention.
    06-02-2014 08:15 AM
    How do you send mmultiple documents now?
    Mark the documents you want to send from the file manager.
    06-02-2014 09:59 AM
    I'm mostly using it to keep my photos organized. Being able to move files to different folders without having to connect to a tablet or PC is quite convenient.
    And being able to rename those photo files right on the phone is very helpful.
    neo158 likes this.
    06-02-2014 10:29 AM
    Well it's decent and gets the job done, at least now with 8.1 we can manage downloads natively. The other plus side is that its free, paying for apps or games is a bone of contention for some. Microsoft really need to roll out carrier billing to more markets and when that happens hopefully we will see a steady decline of the useless 1* reviews saying the app or game is not free. Until then we will be plagued with these silly reviews lol...

In terms of updates, the third party file managers are more likely to be more updated frequently. Right now I am using pocket explorer and it is my preferred file manager at present.
    06-02-2014 01:08 PM
    I'd like it better if it showed me what is in other on my phone. Yes I know about hard reset to reclaim the space but I'd rather not do that.
    06-02-2014 01:11 PM
    I've used pretty much every single available file manager app so far. Folders beta was my personal choice, but MS's Files is imho the best one out there. Compared to every other app it's blazing fast, with a very clean design. The only two things I'm currently missing from it is the ability to extract ZIP archives and swiping through pictures.
    I thought WP8.1 can open zip files.
    06-02-2014 01:16 PM
    it is amazing!
    06-02-2014 01:18 PM
    I thought WP8.1 can open zip files.
    It can. But it doesn't offer a way to extract all the files simultaneously to a user defined destination. All you can do is tap each single file and choose "save". Some file explorers offer the ability to truly extract a zip archive like you're used to in Windows.
    itshimanshu likes this.
    06-02-2014 01:20 PM
    Every single app runs in a so called sandbox, which basically means that whatever data this app may store on your device is only accessible for this specific app and not exposed to others. Microsoft may have the tools and possibilities to bypass this restriction with their own apps, but they'd certainly not make use of it, as it means a security risk. Not to mention that users could easily destroy apps or even parts of the OS, if they had a chance to access the entire file system.
    I'm with a5cent here, there are definitely ways for devs to work around these limitations, for example by storing documents like PDF not in the isolated storage (sandbox) of their app, but one that's accessible from outside. But this is up to app devs, not Microsoft.
    thank you i understand...
    06-02-2014 03:22 PM
    Security.

I know that is not really a useful explanation by itself. Unfortunately, any explanation will be vast and complicated. Not something that is easily discussed on a consumer forum. Do consider however, that security is just as much about securing a device from users themselves, prying family members, and even ignorant developers... statistically, there is nothing more dangerous to smartphone data than the smartphone's user or family members. Next come ignorant developers and lastly, malicious developers and hackers. The last category just gets the most media attention.

thank you for that answer i understand now, makes me like the phone and by extension the OS more...
    06-02-2014 03:24 PM
57 123