How many of you like the official file manager.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It works so well that I uninstalled the other third party apps from my phone such as Aerize Explorer & Folders Beta. It's clean and fast, I don't see what there is not to love about it!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
a good app but I am still thinking when will I be needing it..

I can tell you one scenario right off the top of my head; renaming files. Think about how much easier things will be now that we can rename a picture file to something other than default.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
a good app but I am still thinking when will I be needing it..

Example: moving a saved wallpaper I get from Bing (or any other wallpaper source) from the Saved Pictures folder to my created WP Wallpaper Folder--I had to do this on my computer every time.

I was one that thought I wouldn't need an app like this, but with this one simple function my tune is changed.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm liking it so far for a v1.0 release - fast, efficient and fluid. Why can't the OneDrive app be like this?!!!?!?!

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't think of a time I've ever needed to manage files on a phone. What do people use it for?

I kind of agree with you until I went into the Photos hub to look for a photo that I took some time ago. I wanted to know the date/time that I snapped the picture and I couldn't do it. All you get in the Photos hub is a month by month pivot view of your camera roll. Unless I had uploaded them to OneDrive or viewed them from my PC, I would never know. With Files, now I know. It's small thing but it's those little things that make the overall experience better.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've used pretty much every single available file manager app so far. Folders beta was my personal choice, but MS's Files is imho the best one out there. Compared to every other app it's blazing fast, with a very clean design. The only two things I'm currently missing from it is the ability to extract ZIP archives and swiping through pictures.

Tonchi91

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Joe Belfiore said on Tweeter that you can tweet on this account https://twitter.com/winphonesupport about issues on Windows Phone apps or OS.
I tweet them about issue with Bluetooth recieved files. When I send PDF document from my laptop to my L920 via bluetooth, I can't find that PDF on my phone via Files. I suggest them to put Bluetooth folder to store recieved files from bluetooth.

kpulak

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
One of the major feature is still left untouched, and that is to access files present in the third party applications. Like many of the pdf documents are present in my Adobe reader application but, I'm unable to find and access those files in the official file manager.

I suggest that they should bring this feature in the next update.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
One of the major feature is still left untouched, and that is to access files present in the third party applications.

For over a year I've been explaining why, whatever is eventually called a file manager, won't do that. And we can now see that it doesn't. A future version of this app won't do that either.

More likely is that some apps, like pdf readers, may start storing their files outside of local storage. There are other solutions to that problem too. I don't know which MS will pick, if any, but like I've always said, whatever it is, it won't provide access to app's local storage.

Last edited:

El Bori

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
For over a year I've been explaining why, whatever is eventually called a file manager, won't do that. And we can now see that it doesn't. A future version of this app won't do that either.

More likely is that some apps, like pdf readers, may start storing their files outside of local storage. There are other solutions to that problem too. I don't know which MS will pick, if any, but like I've always said, whatever it is, it won't provide access to apps's local storage.

please forgive my ignorance but simply why will it not access these files? again i am new and am only asking.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
please forgive my ignorance but simply why will it not access these files? again i am new and am only asking.

Every single app runs in a so called sandbox, which basically means that whatever data this app may store on your device is only accessible for this specific app and not exposed to others. Microsoft may have the tools and possibilities to bypass this restriction with their own apps, but they'd certainly not make use of it, as it means a security risk. Not to mention that users could easily destroy apps or even parts of the OS, if they had a chance to access the entire file system.
I'm with a5cent here, there are definitely ways for devs to work around these limitations, for example by storing documents like PDF not in the isolated storage (sandbox) of their app, but one that's accessible from outside. But this is up to app devs, not Microsoft.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It's more of usage than liking honestly..It's perfect because its a no-frills version and does the job well...so, my vote: YES> Like it.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I like it. My main gripe is that it's still harder than it should be to get files in and out of the phone (in especially). I keep Pocket File Manager around for its FTP support. Windows networking support would be nice, eh?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't think of a time I've ever needed to manage files on a phone. What do people use it for?

I always thought that and still do for the most part but I downloaded it to try it out and I'm quite impressed, I don't see myself using it a lot but for the times when I'm not at my PC and don't have my tablet with me it will prove useful.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I always thought that and still do for the most part but I downloaded it to try it out and I'm quite impressed, I don't see myself using it a lot but for the times when I'm not at my PC and don't have my tablet with me it will prove useful.

I'm mostly using it to keep my photos organized. Being able to move files to different folders without having to connect to a tablet or PC is quite convenient.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The ability to download files from the OneDrive app and access them from the Download folder in the native File Manager app is the sole reason I downloaded it in the first place. Primarily because I have albums that aren't on Xbox Music and its frustrating that I need a subscription to even use that app in the first place. Its likely not that simple to fix, but by God that would be a very nice step towards unification and lack of wire transfers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire