There is only one feature I REALLY want. The ability to disable powering off when locked.

HarkAtYou

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
As the title says. I want to do this as I
generally carry my phone in my hands, which means holding down the power button which is for some ridiculous reason on the side where your hand goes, instead of on the top out of the way. So often I find that I've turned it off by mistake, or I feel it vibrate every so often to find it turning back on again. Its really annoying.

Plus if you didn't have the ability to turn it off (whilst retaining the ability to restart it by holding down two buttons) it would be better for security, as someone who stole it wouldn't be able to stop you tracking it as easily, without a sim tool.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And if you needed to perform a hard or soft reset, you'd need to go hunt for a sim tool.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to swipe down after you hold down the power key for the phone to turn off.

A normal press+hold of the power button does require you to swipe down to turn off. However, if you hold down the power button for long enough, the phone will restart without that swipe-down requirement and it works locked as well as unlocked.

Going back to the OP, the same thing has happened on occasion with my HTC 8X (power button is located at the top). It's not been a big deal but it has happened. As to whether it's a good idea to have the ability to disable the power button, hmm, I'm not sure as it could leave some people in rare situations, stranded if they can't find a SIM tool to force a restart.

Perhaps a better idea is an optional sensor setting that detects that the phone is in a pocket and temporarily disables all the buttons, similar to how the phone knows to disable the touch screen when you put the phone to your face to take a phone call.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Turn the phone over - you'll not accidentally press the button and as a bonus, the screen will be protected from knocks.
Or get a case. Or a belt clip. Or put it in your pocket.

123gettothechopper

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Man it never happened until recently to me. Now it has been 2-3 times since it has restarted. I do agree with you on this aspect now. Hope Microsoft works toward your suggestion

HarkAtYou

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
To answer everyone who didn't read my original post properly, I suggested still being able to force a restart with two buttons, but not being able to switch off. Yes you do need to also swipe down, but if the phone is in your hand with either the palm or your fingers on the screen, it will sense a slide down eventually, it doesn't take much for it to do it.

It could be that you've all been doing it without even noticing, often I only notice when i see it turning back on, with no clue as to how long it was off.

Perhaps they could just make the button stiffer, (I'm on a 1520), but it seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to disable a shut down without the pin. (whilst retaining the ability to restart with two buttons held)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786