OCD: some apps have bigger tiles than others

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Woooow. I've been using my 820 from past 1 and a half years. I have played around with the start tiles a million times but I didn't even notice this. OP, you are right and you are amazing !

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Usually when I think an icon is too big, as in bigger than Store/Call/Messages, I send an email to the developer asking him nicely to maintain size proportions with system apps.

octionut

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I checked my friends' Windows Phones too and they have the same "problem" (a 1020 and a 620 although it's harder to notice it on the 1020). Both of them were running WP8.1 Developer Preview and had a background picture (I noticed if you don't have a picture the tiles look "normal"). Thanks for the replies anyway!

Last edited:

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Could this all just really be an alignment issue with the PhotoShop guides? I know that when I zoom in on a PhotoShop document by a whole lot, that objects that were aligned at, for example, 100%, seem unaligned at 3200%. I never cared that it seemed unaligned because you would never notice it at a regular viewing zoom level. This is even easier to notice happening if you try to align photos, tables, and/or shapes in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher.

octionut

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Then read a book or watch TV and stop worrying about this little and insignificant things
It was a joke :/... And to be honest this is kind of unacceptable. It's a problem in the design that the WP developers team didn't notice (yet) or know about but couldn't be bothered to fix because it's "little and insignificant". I don't care how noticeable the problem is (or isn't) but web designers, app developers and any designer that respects himself should care about these things as he should be aiming for a perfect final product.

to sd173: no, it isn't an alignment issue in Photoshop as I can clearly see it on my startscreen without taking any screenshot.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I checked my friends' Windows Phones too and they have the same "problem" (a 1020 and a 620 although it's harder to notice it on the 1020). Both of them were running WP8.1 Developer Preview and had a background picture (I noticed if you don't have a picture the tiles look "normal"). Thanks for the replies anyway!

I think since you notice it more on the 620 than the 1020, it's all because of the resolution. I don't see it at all on my 1520.

octionut

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I think since you notice it more on the 620 than the 1520, it's all because of the resolution. I don't see it at all on my 1520.
That's right. As the display's PPI gets higher it's harder to see small differences like that. But they are still there.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
It was a joke :/... And to be honest this is kind of unacceptable. It's a problem in the design that the WP developers team didn't notice (yet) or know about but couldn't be bothered to fix because it's "little and insignificant". I don't care how noticeable the problem is (or isn't) but web designers, app developers and any designer that respects himself should care about these things as he should be aiming for a perfect final product.

to sd173: no, it isn't an alignment issue in Photoshop as I can clearly see it on my startscreen without taking any screenshot.

I don't see this as any sort of interact issue at all. If the problem is with screen resolutions, which it probably is, then as more and more pixels are able to be put into smaller spaces at less and less of the cost, even low-end phones will eventually have high resolution screens.

octionut

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't see this as any sort of interact issue at all. If the problem is with screen resolutions, which it probably is, then as more and more pixels are able to be put into smaller spaces at less and less of the cost, even low-end phones will eventually have high resolution screens.
It isn't an interact issue, I never said that; but do you remember the change Google did to their logo some weeks ago? It's almost the same thing but here it's just more noticeable. Plus, the problem isn't with screen resolutions. It's harder to notice it on higher resolution screens just because the high PPI but it's still there.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
It isn't an interact issue, I never said that; but do you remember the change Google did to their logo some weeks ago? It's almost the same thing but here it's just more noticeable. Plus, the problem isn't with screen resolutions. It's harder to notice it on higher resolution screens just because the high PPI but it's still there.

Oops interact was a swipe typing typo. It should have been important instead.

Anyways, if this was a relevant problem for the WP developer team at Microsoft they probably would have done something about it in the recent 8.1 update.

octionut

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Oops interact was a swipe typing typo. It should have been important instead.

Anyways, if this was a relevant problem for the WP developer team at Microsoft they probably would have done something about it in the recent 8.1 update.
"Important" makes more sense haha :grin: and I agree with you here. It isn't important. But I still think that it shouldn't be there and the WP team wasn't bothered to fix it or doesn't know about this at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers