Location Service Always On, e.g.: Life360 App.

eugene89us

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello, everyone:

Installed Life360 app on Windows Phone 8.1 DP, and if I do not close the app through the task manager or the back button, the location service never turns off (the circular icon stays by the WiFi image). Thus, battery starts to drop precipitously and back of L925 gets warm, as background location is always on. I never had this issue with WP8, as the background apps were restricted to getting location and other tasks every 30 minutes. I had to disable background task for Life360 to avoid battery drain in those cases where, while rushing, I would push the Windows key and leave the background task pinging my location constantly. This results in half-baked app, where I need to constantly activate the application if I want to share my location - maybe better for privacy, but defeats the purpose of avoiding being bugged by others were I may be located, if I forget to document my location when I arrive. Anyone experiencing similar problem with 8.1DP? Any way to force WP8.1 to ping location intermittently, instead of continuously? Anyone with WP8 that can confirm that similar thing does not happen with Life360 app when exited via a Windows key, as it 8.1? The only way that Life360 does not constantly ping my location is when I exit the app via the task manager or using the back button until app is exited.

Thanks a lot!

DeanoV6

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately it works in the same way on WP8. - On my WP8 L820, if I back-arrow out of the app, it NEVER sends any location updates even though the background task is enabled, making the app pretty pointless. If I go into the app and Windows-button out of it, it then sends my location every 15 seconds or so, which is pretty bad for the battery-life. So I can only have one extreme or the other, and I can only send my location IF I remember to launch the app and Windows-key out of it :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos