Transparent tiles: Pro Choice

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Dear Microsoft (and Developers),

This fascination with transparent tiles is getting ridiculous now. I understand their popularity, but please bear in mind that not everyone is a fan. Please give users a choice. First Reading List, now Xbox Video. I am not a programmer, but surely giving users a choice via settings is not too much of a hassle.

Cheers.

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This fascination with transparent tiles is getting ridiculous now. I understand their popularity, but please bear in mind that not everyone is a fan. Please give users a choice. First Reading List, now Xbox Video. I am not a programmer, but surely giving users a choice via settings is not too much of a hassle.

Cheers.
Have you tried going back to Settings/ Start +Themes??? By default the transparent background is turned off, the user has to enable it, so you must know that IT IS ALREADY AN OPTION?? So why the post?

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried going back to Settings/ Start +Themes??? By default the transparent background is turned off, the user has to enable it, so you must know that IT IS ALREADY AN OPTION?? So why the post?

Let me clarify.
If transparency is turned off, then the colour of these tiles matches the system colour, and my point is that I prefer their original colour, e.g. green for Xbox Video or dark red for Reading List.
I like a little colour on my start screen.

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Cheers.
Add this suggestion, in the uservoice forums. You'll get 3 votes from my side. 😊

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Let me clarify.
If transparency is turned off, then the colour of these tiles matches the system colour, and my point is that I prefer their original colour, e.g. green for Xbox Video or dark red for Reading List.
I like a little colour on my start screen.

That's exactly what wardo5757 is saying, remove the background and the tiles return to their default colour.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what wardo5757 is saying, remove the background and the tiles return to their default colour.

You don't seem to understand. They no longer have the default colour they once had. Due to the new excitement over a transparent start screen, their new default colour is your system colour.
For example, say your system colour is yellow. Until yesterday's update, the Xbox Video tile used to be green (as is the current Music tile). Since the update, however, it is either yellow OR transparent, and no longer green.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This fascination with transparent tiles is getting ridiculous...Please give users a choice...via settings is not too much of a hassle.
Well, if you enroll at my school, we'll give you that choice in our mobile portal app for Windows Phone.

Tiles.png

The instruction that certain tiles are always transparent is no longer correct. We updated the server-side tile generator, but haven't updated the app since then.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
All tiles should have been transparent from the beginning, they should have been of the accent color, or with a background image, if you like

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree, make a user voice and lets see if we can drum up done support. Unfortunately, this is one of those issues that many people will not even take the time to understand what we're talking about, as had already been demonstrated in this thread. Sort of like the need for notification center ("we have LIVE TILES! They are magical like unicorns! We don't need it!").

I would tend to stay away from the phrase "Pro Choice" though. To most, that means something entirely different. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro