Saves, user created data and updating to 8.1

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Does this process delete any saved data (game saves, settings, contacts, photos, homescreen, etc) or is it JUST an update of the system which doesn't affect your saves? I don't like the idea of having to wipe so many important things.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The update to 8.1 does NOT remove any of your previous data... But the more data you have the longer the migrating part of the installation might take..
However that shouldn't be an issue :smile:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I did lose data from one of my note taking apps completely but it was an extremely basic app with no backup to OneDrive feature. That was the only thing i lost and I have something ridiculous like 104 apps loaded.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I'm still a bit confused about the region thing though. Are all the developer preview apps the same in any regional store? Or is the one I download from France different from the one in other countries?
I get that Cortana needs US region to run but I'd rather the time zone and weather were local to me in Paris. I guess there's no way to do that then? Right now I have it set to all English with the UK as my region because of wanting everything to appear in English.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You will still get the weather for your own country :) I live in South-Am and still get my own weather and can use my own maps.. The US region thing is just because Cortana is only set to listen and react to commands given in English..

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again,
I was really looking forward to doing this but after reading more and finding the long list of bugs here, plus the horrible battery life that I keep hearing about, I've decided to pass on it.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again,
I was really looking forward to doing this but after reading more and finding the long list of bugs here, plus the horrible battery life that I keep hearing about, I've decided to pass on it.

Your call. Keep in mind 9 out of 10 people with complaints will tell everyone. Maybe 1 out of ten people with good experiences might tell 3.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Your call. Keep in mind 9 out of 10 people with complaints will tell everyone. Maybe 1 out of ten people with good experiences might tell 3.

Very good point. :) A fact I learned in customer service training years ago. Do you think all the hard resetting is necessary?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Very good point. :) A fact I learned in customer service training years ago. Do you think all the hard resetting is necessary?
I've only had to do it once. And when I did it really wasn't needed the bug didn't effect anything functional, just annoyed me. Call it me being ocd. Yes I think it was worth it.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've only had to do it once. And when I did it really wasn't needed the bug didn't effect anything functional, just annoyed me. Call it me being ocd. Yes I think it was worth it.

I guess if I knew I could go back to 8.0, I'd feel more secure. Although with the hard reset, Windows Phone can back up everything anyway, right? Saves, contacts, photos, apps, homescreen. So there's nothing lost or hours of work to get things back how you had them?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess if I knew I could go back to 8.0, I'd feel more secure. Although with the hard reset, Windows Phone can back up everything anyway, right? Saves, contacts, photos, apps, homescreen. So there's nothing lost or hours of work to get things back how you had them?
Yes you can revert back to wp8 there are threads on how to do so. The only thing I Lost were notes in an extremely basic note app. Everything else came back with extreme minimal work. It even saved my pined tile configuration as I had it.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can revert back to wp8 there are threads on how to do so. The only thing I Lost were notes in an extremely basic note app. Everything else came back with extreme minimal work. It even saved my pined tile configuration as I had it.
Ok, as long as it's doable. Have you seen this? Seen it yourself?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Although I have heard others in the forum mention this, this has not happened to me even once.
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll see if it works out smoothly for me. If not, everything is backed up to Windows Phone's servers anyway and it 's only a matter of waiting for everything to reinstall.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
No problem. When you do the update have your phone plugged in, or on qi pad. Don't freak out of the low batt icon comes up it does it everytime. If needed power the phone back up manually but wait a few minutes first. It doesn't actually drain the battery down that much I think its just a quirk of the update, the phone can't read battery level until it starts processing the update. It effects nothing just wanted to prevent the suprise or worry.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
No problem. When you do the update have your phone plugged in, or on qi pad. Don't freak out of the low batt icon comes up it does it everytime. If needed power the phone back up manually but wait a few minutes first. It doesn't actually drain the battery down that much I think its just a quirk of the update, the phone can't read battery level until it starts processing the update. It effects nothing just wanted to prevent the suprise or worry.
Cool, thanks. Doing it right now. It's in the preparing to install phase...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6