Quiet hour issue

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure whether this is a bug or not....not sure whether it's appropriate to post in feature suggestions in microsoft's site...

but with quiet hour enabled, if you receive private calls from outside, despite how desperately they try to ring you, they will NOT be able to go through...

I think it's quite a major problem that should be addressed....I have disabled quiet hours due to this problem.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In settings > quiet hours, did you check the box for "anyone breaks through if they call 2 times in 3 minutes?"

I don't use quiet hours because I own a business that operates around the clock and sometimes I get calls that I need to respond to at night.

Dnamb

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Its not a bug, but a feature to avoid calls in Quiet Hours. If you want them to get through add the contact to your inner circle (can find the option in the Quiet Hours settings) and/or enable the 3 calls in 2minutes option to break through the quiet hours barrier.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
To answer, yes the break through was enabled.

And no, you can't add private numbers to inner circle. Or if you could, please show me.

It's important because some public places use private numbers to call, i.e. it appears ' private' and you can't are the phone number. I had 6 consecutive calls from the hospital but it couldn't break through.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My gut feeling is that because they are private calls with hidden numbers, they are treated as separate unrelated calls, so they cannot breakthrough. And this is a problem, maybe not a bug, but it is a significant problem.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My gut feeling is that because they are private calls with hidden numbers, they are treated as separate unrelated calls, so they cannot breakthrough. And this is a problem, maybe not a bug, but it is a significant problem.
I understand ya, sometimes my aunt calls and it shows up private. How do you differentiate the two? Never thought of that though in case something happens to their phone and they may have to use a public or someone's phone. Does it matter who it is that calls 3 times in 2 mins to breakthrough? Just checked it out, you can enable if just your inner circle breaks though and or anyone who calls 3 in mins will break through. So one of the buttons might have not been checked.

Last edited:

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes all the buttons were checked. And yes its definitely same source, coz its midnight and all within just few mins apart. And in the end the hospital called my wife to get me. I was on call.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
What I wanted to find out is how do I report this? I really think it needs to be fixed. Imagine if it's an urgent situation, then it really can stuff things up.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If people call from a number that doesn't send caller ID and a user has selected to auto-reject all calls from unrecognised numbers, there's nothing to fix. It's working exactly right.
Maybe it just needs a better warning when it's activated.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Sigh... I think I must not be getting the message across clearly.

I can receive private calls with no numbers in normal mode.

However, when quiet hours is activated, despite having ticked the boxes to allow breakthrough from both inner circle and callers who call more than twice in three minutes, I can't receive calls from private numbers even though they called many times in three minutes.

So please stop trying to reply without first trying to understand the problem. Or at least ask for clarification...

It's something that needs fixing because potentially people who need to receive important calls from private numbers can't receive it. They activate quiet hours thinking that yes if it's important it can breakthrough but in actual fact it doesn't breakthrough IF the calls came from private numbers.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, maybe it's hard to work out if three unknown callers in x minutes are the same unknown caller.
Or maybe the Quiet Hours just needs a warningbtonaay it can't differentiate private numbers and that maybe the user shouldn't activate the feature if they expect calls from private numbers at that time.
You could tell Microsoft about it I guess.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I doubt there will be different people ringing me that hour... :p

Anyway, how do I report it to official channels? I know previously I used to report to Nokia care on their chat site... But now?

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I'll literally choose not to answer private /blocked number calls myself, so it is great to know quite hour can do that for me.
And I believe I am not alone for that.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, if it's important, then we stand to lose important calls from desperate callers who has no clue that you are on auto reject mode due to a flaw in quiet hours. Of course you are not alone in that, but I believe I will not be alone in this as well. That's why I am trying to find out how to lodge a bug report with WP. Any ideas how to do that? Anyone? Please?

Most government agencies use private numbers to call.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
It's a private number so there's no info for quiet hours way to know it's the same caller each time. Logically, if they call twice times in three minutes it's probably the same caller but it's not guaranteed. I'm not sure how MS could fix this without creating the possibility that you'll get unwanted calls from private numbers.

I haven't used quiet hours myself but from what I understand the caller is still able to leave a message, right?

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't need quite hours for that reason, I would uncheck it so you wont have to worry about it. But I would still bring it up for other people so it gives us more options.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It would be great if quiet hours has an option to allow private numbers through. Coz I am trying to work around it as well because I find quiet hours to be excellent (stops all the whatsapp notifications or email notification sounds) but currently there's no work around. You can't add private numbers to your contacts so you can't make them your inner circle.

Yeah they can leave voice messages, I had two from the same caller as a result, but I didn't know about it coz the voice message notification tone was blocked as well ^^

If it were a big emergency, leaving voice messages is probably not an option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb