Hardcore Windows fan feels like he's losing hope :(

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My HTC Desire didn't suffer from this in four years of use without any kind of reset. Also not my ipad after two years with one reset (to clear several GB of "miscellaneous" data). And not my Moto G, although I've only had that for a few months so it may be too soon to tell. And even not my Windows 7 laptop, which has had problems with lag and temporary freezes from day one, but which has actually improved over time. So it seems that it may be a WP problem.

No it doesn't seem like a WP issue. One person's experience does not reflect how the entire ecosystem/OS is. Just saying :)

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
How is iOS and Android boring? Could you explain? With Android especially, you can make the phone look and feel however you want. Plus, it has all of the greatest games and apps almost anyone could hope for.

iOS has no active start screen, it is only a window with icons, like Windows 2.0 back in the 80's. That is pretty boring to me. Nothing really happens there, and it always looks the same.

Android is not customizable the way you want for everyone. I am not a programmer, I can't make my own widgets and themes, so for me, it is not customizable the way I want it.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the way Live Tiles look also, and I like having Microsoft services as well. That includes an awesome working Skype app. Moving to Windows Phone didn't really make sense when I'd have to give up Real Racing 3 and all of the other great games I play. I found a solution to my problem though.

View attachment 69198

Well I welcome you to the Wpcentral. Every Microsoft services user is welcome here! Even if it's Android or IOS or other OSes :D

deathsaurer

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes indeed, I had exactly the same problem. Try start tile clock. It works much better. No freezes and updates every minute. 4 days already with no freezes and working like a charm :)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I've been a hardcore MICROSOFT fan for a long time, having a full Microsoft eco system such as Lumia 920, Xbox One, Windows PCs and tablets. I work in the #1 Staples store in central Canada and recently Canada as a whole. After being so dedicated to Microsoft, having the dream job of working for them, and can't possibly own Apple or Google products because it just feels wrong.

However lately my phone feels laggy, slow, buggy, unresponsive, having my gf feel the same way about her 920. Which I know she misses her iPhone and would never admit it to me. After working at a tech center repairing endless windows PCs and having people rave how they never have any issues with Mac and Apple and how much they love them and dont have to think twice if that feature is available to them (because it most defiantly is) along with Android.

It all comes down to that recently I just feel disappointed that my phone isn't seamless, and that it freezes ever morning I unlock it and have to remember when the touch screen is unresponsive to lock and unlock my phone again for it to work, or that when my screen is black and nothing is responsive to hold the volume down dn power button until the phone vibrates to fix it.

I just feel like I'm losing hope. And it saddens me. I know it takes lots of time and I love Microsoft so much. But recently it just gets me so down.

Any one else I in the same boat?

the more committed the loyalty, the deeper the disappointment.

do something else for a while, that makes YOU happy instead of serving a cause or belief.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Android is not customizable the way you want for everyone. I am not a programmer, I can't make my own widgets and themes, so for me, it is not customizable the way I want it.

Luckily for you, many widgets are available in the Android App Store, and some are typically even supplied with the phone. There's no need for you to develop them yourself! Also Google have thoughtfully added various settings allowing you to customise the appearance of Android (or theme, if you prefer) without writing even a single line of code.
Hope that clears things up for you. :)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Luckily for you, many widgets are available in the Android App Store

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he just doesn't like Android period. Anyone suggesting that a lack of customization is the reason they don't like it is really just looking for something to shoot down. You and I both know that Android is so easily customisable it's ridiculous. I like the way Windows Phone looks, but you can't customize it nearly as much as Android, so it's not like he's choosing something with more customisable options.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Luckily for you, many widgets are available in the Android App Store, and some are typically even supplied with the phone. There's no need for you to develop them yourself! Also Google have thoughtfully added various settings allowing you to customise the appearance of Android (or theme, if you prefer) without writing even a single line of code.
Hope that clears things up for you. :)

But I can't customize it as I want it, only as the themes and widgets that are available. That was my point :) Too many widgets also slows the phone down (saw that on a friend's Galaxy Mega).

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
But I can't customize it as I want it, only as the themes and widgets that are available. That was my point :)

Please explain if I'm missing your point, but isn't that equally true of WP and indeed any other platform? I mean, if you are not prepared to learn to write your own code, then you're stuck with what's available in the app stores and what you can customise via the settings in the OS?

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
First the mega is a turd. As far as widgets there are many apps that let you make your own. Look at themer, zooper, and UCCW. You can make an Android look like IOS, Firefox, WP, Ubuntu.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
First the mega is a turd. As far as widgets there are many apps that let you make your own. Look at themer, zooper, and UCCW. You can make an Android look like IOS, Firefox, WP, Ubuntu.

Those apps look cool - thanks for the tip! Well worth checking out. Can anyone recommend some equivalents for Windows Phone?

Last edited:

Joshua Paul Edison

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I am running 8.1 and me and my gf are both experiencing freezing, lagginess, black screen and then some pretty consistently. I did what I though was a hard reset months back, but it really didn't seem convincing. The process erased everything, but it only took like 5 minutes and I really dont feel that it reinstalled the OS fresh like a new copy of Windows. Its like it just removed my stuff and the system was just as buggy as ever :( maybe I should try again this weekend

I had similar issues after upgrading to windows phone 8.1, i tried soft reset from my phone.. it reset, (just like yours did) after a while it was back to the same condition.

Finally, frustrated by the issues I faced. I googled for it and found this article on WP
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-620/236382-manually-flash-gdr2-rom-lumia-620-a.html

and then I found this article on reset windows phone... i.e to flash your phone completely and install windows phone 8
[How To] Unbrand/Flash all Nokia Windows Phone 8 [XDA News] - xda-developers ( i recommened to follow this tutorial, it's more detailed)

I did follow every step mention in the XDA forums. It worked well. Didn't face any issues (although, when i was downloading Nokia care PC suite, i was as alerted by chrome as a Malicious content, I ignored it and it worked fine).

I've flashed my phone back to windows Phone 8. It works great. !!

My Phone is back to life. !!

I would suggest, unless you are a developer don't download windows phone 8.1, it's made for developers. Not for the normal, everyday users.
I upgraded my phone to 8.1 and learnt a big lesson.!! I'm back to my senses now. My phone works great. !!

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you using WP8.1? It lacks firmware update from Nokia so optimisation and few features aren't up to par
If you'll still have problems after Cyan firmware comes then try hard reset.. Or switch to iOS

Your choice man, i can't stand icon/grid UI in android and iOS so im "forced" to stay with WP, i like it tho

Yeah I am, and I'm hoping the firmware will really fix things up. But moving to a different OS is not an option for me. Live tiles just make way too much sense

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I feel you mate...I haven't read all the posts and just replying to the op...try a factory reset...all your apps will be wiped of course..I still can't get over the fact that how bad warped the music tile is...they just took a perfectly awesome piece of software and screwed it beyond repair..anyways..the plus side, this is more or less the final build...which means tons of minor fixes and enhancements on the way..

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I've been a hardcore MICROSOFT fan for a long time, having a full Microsoft eco system such as Lumia 920, Xbox One, Windows PCs and tablets. I work in the #1 Staples store in central Canada and recently Canada as a whole. After being so dedicated to Microsoft, having the dream job of working for them, and can't possibly own Apple or Google products because it just feels wrong.

However lately my phone feels laggy, slow, buggy, unresponsive, having my gf feel the same way about her 920. Which I know she misses her iPhone and would never admit it to me. After working at a tech center repairing endless windows PCs and having people rave how they never have any issues with Mac and Apple and how much they love them and dont have to think twice if that feature is available to them (because it most defiantly is) along with Android.

It all comes down to that recently I just feel disappointed that my phone isn't seamless, and that it freezes ever morning I unlock it and have to remember when the touch screen is unresponsive to lock and unlock my phone again for it to work, or that when my screen is black and nothing is responsive to hold the volume down dn power button until the phone vibrates to fix it.

I just feel like I'm losing hope. And it saddens me. I know it takes lots of time and I love Microsoft so much. But recently it just gets me so down.

Any one else I in the same boat?

And the Oscar goes to....

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
When the developer preview came out I flashed my 920, didn't opt for a restore, then immediately installed the 8.1 preview and then the apps I actually use. My 920 is faster than with 8.0 and I have none of the problems others have reported. I always got WhatsApp notifications, no freezing, no touch screen problems, in fact I can even connect to my work wifi which uses a proxy - WPC said this would only be possible with the future Cyan firmware update. Apps start up noticeably faster than with 8.0 too - all in all I am well pleased and can't wait to get my 930.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Never put all your eggs in one basket. Technology is constantly evolving. Gadgets come and go. I think it's foolish to limit yourself only to technology that has a certain company's logo on it.

Always get a device/gadget based on what it can do NOW, not based on a vague hope of what it might be able to do at some nebulous point in the future. You'll only set yourself up for disappointment.
Sent from my Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

I've been on WP for a couple of years, no doubt some of you have been on it for longer. I am on WP for several reasons.

First, I don't like Apple and don't buy their products.

Second, my experience with Froyo on a Samsung was one of the worst phone experiences I've ever had. Froyo on a Motorola was a bit better. I was tired of having my phone hang and cough up hair balls.

Third, I've always been a Microsoft guy and wanted to check out WP.

Finally, and in a sense most importantly, I realized that WP would not get the apps in the store which will enable WP to compete in a real way unless WP showed an increase in its market share. So I have to say part of why I am here is in hope of what WP will be in the future. I am acting exactly opposite of what newfangled suggest. Because at the end of the day, if some of us aren't here, they won't build it and apps won't come.

P.S. I have 8.1 on my 920 and it is working great. I tend to think Clock Hub is what is giving the OP his issue. I have Cortana pinned to my start screen and am having no issues.

Last edited:

Warren_S

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I was new to the Windows Phone and really liked the simple and efficient user interface. But my slow TuneIn and iHeart Radio Apps and the ridiculous problems with things as simple as a "playlist" in the native music player app made me jump ship back to Android. Low-and-Behold, all of those problem I had with Windows Phone actually work, and are fast, with Android, even on the el-cheapo Moto G. Jeez, It's just the basics and it frustrates me with the Windows Phone. I'm hoping Microsoft keeps development going and I'm looking forward to a "working" inexpensive 4.5" screen Windows Phone something like the Lumia 635. Me loves the Windows OS (if it works). So in response to you Darkest.White...I feel your pain...he he

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers