Hardcore Windows fan feels like he's losing hope :(

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I've been a hardcore MICROSOFT fan for a long time, having a full Microsoft eco system such as Lumia 920, Xbox One, Windows PCs and tablets. I work in the #1 Staples store in central Canada and recently Canada as a whole. After being so dedicated to Microsoft, having the dream job of working for them, and can't possibly own Apple or Google products because it just feels wrong.

However lately my phone feels laggy, slow, buggy, unresponsive, having my gf feel the same way about her 920. Which I know she misses her iPhone and would never admit it to me. After working at a tech center repairing endless windows PCs and having people rave how they never have any issues with Mac and Apple and how much they love them and dont have to think twice if that feature is available to them (because it most defiantly is) along with Android.

It all comes down to that recently I just feel disappointed that my phone isn't seamless, and that it freezes ever morning I unlock it and have to remember when the touch screen is unresponsive to lock and unlock my phone again for it to work, or that when my screen is black and nothing is responsive to hold the volume down dn power button until the phone vibrates to fix it.

I just feel like I'm losing hope. And it saddens me. I know it takes lots of time and I love Microsoft so much. But recently it just gets me so down.

Any one else I in the same boat?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If your 920 is that slow, something is wrong with it. I have had mine since day one. Is it slightly slower when I have the phone full? Sure, but I can say that about any device.

Regarding Apple products, they break just as much as others. Don't let the hoopla fool you. Apple does do a good job of handling issues though because of all their retail stores. I will give them that credit.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Quick question: Are you running WP8 or 8.1? I am running 8.1 on 920 and it is smooth as butter. The only complaint I would have is that WP is a second class citizen when it comes to 3rd party apps.

As for windows 8, it is much better than 7 in all ways. The start menu is Coming back for those who miss it and you are not required to use windows 8 modern apps.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The more you use the slower it gets, whatever OS you're using.
So that's why I Hard Reset every three months and Soft Reset every time the device feels cranky. Works Every time.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am running 8.1 and me and my gf are both experiencing freezing, lagginess, black screen and then some pretty consistently. I did what I though was a hard reset months back, but it really didn't seem convincing. The process erased everything, but it only took like 5 minutes and I really dont feel that it reinstalled the OS fresh like a new copy of Windows. Its like it just removed my stuff and the system was just as buggy as ever :( maybe I should try again this weekend

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So that's why I Hard Reset every three months and Soft Reset when every the device feels cranky. Works Everytime.

And I have to agree, windows 8.1 is miles better than 7 and everything before, but after dealing with thousands of customers computer issues for 3 years, it gets to you. Even if you love the company as much as myself.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Too bad about your phone, I've got a 1020 running 8.1 and its lighting fast...comparable to my wife's 5S. Your 920 would probably benefit from a restore from backup or a clean slate restore, I did this after installing 8.1 and it made a big difference.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Pro tip - don't be such a fan of any company, and especially not Microsoft. Enjoy their products but don't let yourself become too engrossed in them, they could drop any of those products at the drop of a hat if they think it will benefit them and leave you holding the bag.

Nawt0k

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
especially not Microsoft. Enjoy their products but don't let yourself become too engrossed in them, they could drop any of those products at the drop of a hat if they think it will benefit them and leave you holding the bag.

Zune anyone? Definitely bought into that one and think it was a better option to the IPOD....but where is that now? Good advice right here.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I think you have something going on that needs to be fixed. I wouldn't give up on the platform due to what is going on with your devices right now. I would spend some more time digging deeper into it.
BTW, Droid isn't going to be any better. Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon!

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
No disrespect intended, but there's really limited value in having an emotional attachment to Windows Phone. Remember, it's just an electronics device. Now if your girlfriend gets buggy, freezes up in the morning, and has an unresponsive touchscreen, that's a more legitimate cause for sadness.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am running 8.1 and me and my gf are both experiencing freezing, lagginess, black screen and then some pretty consistently. I did what I though was a hard reset months back, but it really didn't seem convincing. The process erased everything, but it only took like 5 minutes and I really dont feel that it reinstalled the OS fresh like a new copy of Windows. Its like it just removed my stuff and the system was just as buggy as ever :( maybe I should try again this weekend

Hard reset doesn't reinstall the os it just wipes all your stuff off it. If I were you I would use Nokia Software Updater to reinstall 8.0 then update all your system apps only. Then download 8.1 again and again update all your system apps and do not use restore so you set the phone up as new. You will have to install all your apps separately and you will also lose all your data but it could well be worth it.

I use the app called Lumia System Updater to update the system apps.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset doesn't reinstall the os it just wipes all your stuff off it. If I were you I would use Nokia Software Updater to reinstall 8.0 then update all your system apps only. Then download 8.1 again and again update all your system apps and do not use restore so you set the phone up as new. You will have to install all your apps separately and you will also lose all your data but it could well be worth it.

That's a great suggestion. But due to where I live, I am limited to satellite high speed internet and it would take all day.. I'll keep it in mind. Ironically my phone has been working fine since I posted this. But I really doubt the issues will just disappear. However no black screen, or freezing this morning!

I think it could very well have to do with 2 things though. Either A) having Cortana pinned to my start screen, or B) having clock hub installed and pinned to my start screen.

Whenever I wake up in the morning and unlock my phone, if its going yo freeze, clock hub's time is hours out of date and then it freezes or is super slow. One time when this happened I uninstalled clock hub and the phone completely froze, I soft reset the system, and reinstalled clock hub and it has been better at least, but not perfect

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So that's why I Hard Reset every three months and Soft Reset every time the device feels cranky. Works Every time.

My HTC Desire didn't suffer from this in four years of use without any kind of reset. Also not my ipad after two years with one reset (to clear several GB of "miscellaneous" data). And not my Moto G, although I've only had that for a few months so it may be too soon to tell. And even not my Windows 7 laptop, which has had problems with lag and temporary freezes from day one, but which has actually improved over time. So it seems that it may be a WP problem.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

NSU saved alot of WP users. i realy think this should get your phone working into normal.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You're using beta software.

I installed 8.1 in a L720 and is laggy too. So I kept 8.0 in the L920.

In an ideal world people should live peacefully without burning passions. But in real life people is a slave of their passions and preferences.
I think is hypocrite to criticize other's passions unless you're free from it. There is no much difference in what is the subject that generates the passion.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When I first upgraded to the dev preview of 8.1, my phone was actually really unstable and unresponsive. It was quite awful actually. So I eventually did a hard reset (Settings -> About -> Reset your phone) after running a full backup. Things ran much smoother. I eventually found there are a couple apps that aren't quite ready for 8.1 that was causing problems, photostream was one particular bad one. Remember, 8.1 is in beta, and most of the apps you are running have not even been tested on 8.1, let alone confirmed to be stable on it. But things seem to be running much better now, and it is nice and stable as I would expect. It is slower for sure (I see the Resuming.... screen a lot) but definitely stable. Give both your phones a hard reset.

And all devices get slower over time. With each iOS update, my iPhone gets slow. It's at the point now where it's SO slow it's painful to use. Instagram takes 7 seconds to load now. The camera roll takes forever to fill in the thumbnail tiles when there are a lot of pictures. And even scrolling through anything (browser, app, whatever) is choppy, when it used to be smooth. I just did a hard reset and it is still slow as hell. Not looking forward to iOS8.

So while the grass always seems greener, it often isn't. Most of the time you're just trading one set of problems for another set. All you gotta do it figure which set of problems you can live with and be happiest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos