using memory card as ram in wp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell me why it is not possible ?

but more seriously, even the fastest of SSDs cannot stand up to the performance requirements of Random Access Memory. Everything in RAM needs to be available at any time.
But wait! PCs use such a thing all the time!
The use of Virtual Memory/swap (what you're proposing) can potentially be a plus, having done stuff like that before on my iPod touch, but will all but certainly result in varying degrees of degraded performance, lag, and wear on the memory card it was used on. (Really depends though)

I guess from a cost-benefit analysis, such a feature would add complexity, risk wrecking the performance WP is known for if not done carefully, take already limited resources from other more pressing projects, add another point of failure, and will likely shorten the end-user's SD card's life down the road.
And for what benefit? Multitasking could improve, I guess if some lower priority stuff can be moved to the card, heavier games might be possible.

I don't think my writing here is exhaustive, so feel free to correct and add. Just my thoughts.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Generally memory cards (and flash memory in general) are good for 100,000-1,000,000 write operations before they fall over. Using them as swap space would drastically reduce the life expectancy.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My webOS phones use the flash for swap space and it's fine for offloading rarely-used parts of the executables, but once the working set starts to exceed the actual amount of RAM it pretty much goes to pieces. It's just too slow as was mentioned above.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
you are correct.

the app gap is only between 512 MB and 1 GB+ devices, so it isn't unreasonable to lump those in with the rest of the 1 GB'ers.

yeah , was just confirming
i personally have a 720 and an 820
love both , games and apps run faster on 820 but on the 720 its playable with more loadtimes etc not as bad as 512mb ram phones on android
even on ios,512mb ram isnt a limitation as such,very rare
i guess some of the future games and apps will need 1gb ram even more

sisqo88

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Oooh gosh this would be a disaster. I remember the old good times where I have an Nokia N900 it got 256 Mb ram and 700 Mb virtual ram what do you think what happened with my phone when I reached the 25 Mb ram limit. My phone started to lag extremely so I can say you this wouldn't be a great idea to use the SD card as a virtual ram slot.

Last edited:

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Is it not possible to create a partition in sd card and use it as ram in windows phone ?
I think you are confusing RAM and Flashrom. In Android you can use an SD card as an extension to your flashrom (after rooting your device). In an unrooted device you can save some apps on your SDcard, to save flashrom. Now, in WP8.1, you can also save apps to your SDcard so you have more flashrom left. But you can never use an SDcard as RAM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs