Deny app permissions in WP 8.1?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I know Android users want to be able to deny some apps permissions, but I never heard of WP users wanting to. So, My question is...
1. Is anyone bothered by the fact that we can't deny app permissions?
2. Will WP 8.1+ have a way to deny permissions of apps?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
To be honest it never bothered me, thus I never read it. Well I actually don't have that much apps anyway, no social apps at all except WhatsApp and Viber (use it few time in a year).

But I read that on Android even some games require access to too much things.. even contacts. So I understand why ppl want to deny permission. Plus some ppl don't trust Google

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I just think that certain apps like some flashlight apps require owner identity, photos, phone dialer, etc. and its just a simple flashlight LOL! It would be able to block some of those permissions. Or like NBC news...they require microphone and I understand you could prompt the app to open via voice commands, but I really don't need it. It would be nice to be able to toggle permissions off/on.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just think that certain apps like some flashlight apps require owner identity, photos, phone dialer, etc. and its just a simple flashlight LOL! It would be able to block some of those permissions. Or like NBC news...they require microphone and I understand you could prompt the app to open via voice commands, but I really don't need it. It would be nice to be able to toggle permissions off/on.

I would suspect that a flashlight app requires the photos permission to access the camera flash, phone dialler is one that a flashlight should never require, same for owner ID. Until WP gets malware exploiting permissions I'm not really sure that we need the ability to disable individual permissions.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I look at an apps permissions carefully before I install it. When faced with the example cited above by peacefulberry, I just don't install it. I would like to have some control myself but for now I just try to be careful when installing apps.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I look at an apps permissions carefully before I install it. When faced with the example cited above by peacefulberry, I just don't install it. I would like to have some control myself but for now I just try to be careful when installing apps.

Yeah I definitely didn't install that app! Lol...but just in general, options to turn on/off would be nice. :)

jongthechemist

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Including ads for example adduplex in an app requires these access. That's probably why you see unnecessary permissions. Otherwise, Microsoft themselves can impose a more strict rule for developers when they are using these capabilities. For exmple, an app can be rejected if it doesn't provide a location toggle on/off if it's using it. One of mine was rejected once because of this. And also they require the app to state its policy on using location.

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the thing I really like about iOS.

They seem to be improving and adding more privacy protection to iOS each year.

Better privacy protection is never a bad thing, it would be best if Microsoft take user privacy more seriously, it can only improve upon the OS.

Sent from Tapatalk

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I made an app in app studio beta, when I installed it on my phone it asked for a ****load of permissions. as the app maker i didn't ask for them and i have no way to use them.
i think things like app studio beta just assign generic permission request so that the app will be compatible with all devices.
in other words, it is not necessarily the developer asking for permissions, the development platform in use might just be adding them to ensure compatibility.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I made an app in app studio beta, when I installed it on my phone it asked for a ****load of permissions. as the app maker i didn't ask for them and i have no way to use them.
i think things like app studio beta just assign generic permission request so that the app will be compatible with all devices.
in other words, it is not necessarily the developer asking for permissions, the development platform in use might just be adding them to ensure compatibility.
That makes sense... Do you think it did that because it was a beta app? Because I think otherwise all apps would need every permission. Also, its hard for ppl to trust certain apps like a flashlight that asks to use your phone dialer or read your contacts. Lol.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion if you didn't fully trust an app, don't install it!
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_530 using Tapatalk

yeah I didn't install that app, I was just giving an example. But, to be honest because apps are made by both large companies and individuals, its hard to know who to trust. Matter of fact, large companies would be more susceptible to data breeches and are more likely to profit from selling user data, so I might trust an individual dev before a large dev company. But, its nice to be able to toggle something on/off just for peace of mind. :)

squaresquared

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I only use a few of the microsoft and nokia apps, but i feel like the permissions required have been oddly growing... why does Nokia Camera need VOIP calling? Photosynth needs appointments, contacts, xbox, and phone dialer? Am i misunderstanding how to use these applications? how do i make VOIP calls from the camera app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte