File Manager Shootout

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been playing with several file managers, and I thought I give out what I learned. Here you go:

I tested 4 file managers. They rank in this order: 1. Pocket File Manager 2. Pocket Explorer 3. Files 4. Aerize

You can quit reading this if you already agree with me, or if you are a very busy person that just needs someone to tell you what to do. My ranking is not subjective. I can back it up. Keep reading if you care!

In 4th place, or more aptly named LAST place, Aerize is just junk. How on earth it made it in a shootout article against Pocket Explorer here on the WPCentral is a complete mystery to me. Don't waste your time.

In 3rd place, Files. This one can access all of the folders you see when you plug your phone into your computer. That's it, nothing special. It does have a couple of nice features. First, it shows thumbnail views of photos. Second, it has a nice "copy to" button or "move to" button function for moving files to other folders. And the coolest one, "share", which will put all of the selected files in an email attachement, or drop them into a folder on your OneDrive. It can share via any of your email accounts, text msg, One Drive, OneNote, Tap to Share, and the wierdest one: Pocket Explorer (which is my number 2 app choice). But photos you select (from your Photos folder) automatically get shared into, your Photos Folder. Wait, what? Yep, it automatically shares it to the same folder it came from. Odd. Although the sharing can push files to your Onedrive, you can't actually browse your OneDrive. Browsing is limited to just the basic folders that I mentioned. So, other than that nothing special here. You will find that these features are common in the No. 1 and No. 2 choices.

In 2nd Place, Pocket Explorer. The cool option on this one is, if you select several files, there is a "Properties" option that will tell you how many files you have currently selected and what the total size is. You can also change the layout from large thumbnails to small thumbnails to tiled really easily. That's nifty. As far as moving files around, there is a dedicated "Move to local folder", but you can simply use cut/copy and paste options. That seems cleaner to me anyway. The sharing does NOT include text message, which is an oversight in my opinion, and darn near made it fall behind Files in the ranking. But what saved it is browsing on your OneDrive. That's cool. The last thing that gave this an edge that none of the others have is pinning files or folders to the home screen. That's cool.

In first place, PFM. Pocket File Manager. This baby has everything all the previous apps have (except the cool pinning feature), plus it has not just OneDrive access and browsing, but it also has Dropbox, Googledrive, Yendex.disk, and Copy. I was able to do a copy/paste from a OneDrive folder to a Dropbox folder. How cool is that? It also has Bluetooth transfers, a file downloader (by url), sorting options, Add to Zip file (that's nifty, although buggy at times), and "virtual folders" which are not accessible through any other app besides PFM. Using the file downloader saves files to the virtual folder. So if you want them accessible to the Documents folder, you have to do a cut and paste (don't forget, you can paste them just about anywhere you want to VERY easily). And the last thing, it can act as an FTP server. I have NO idea how to get this thing to work or what purpose it has, but the software states that up to 10 people can be logged into it. Just like the number 2 choice, this one can't share to text. So I am planning on keeping #3 "Files" for the purpose of text sharing photos and videos. The review below says you can use PFM to set music as ringtones, but I haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

This hasn't been a complete coverage of HOW-TO type stuff, but just my quick rundown of comparisons. Add to this if you like.

Here are some screenshots in this review:
Pocket File Manager – The best file manager app for Windows Phone 8.1 - Windows Phone Latest

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Update: "Files" only lets you share 1 photo per text message, no better than just using photo hub. So I don't need to keep it around. PFM takes the crown. I'll keep File Explorer for the pinning function. I'm tired of this exercise now. LOL

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It may help people figure out which way to go if they're seeking out a file manager. While I haven't tried any of the others besides Aerize and Files, I'm happy with Files, but my needs are simple. I could understand someone finding it lacking in features. But it does the job for me as of now.

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Pinning a tile to your home screen, like you do with your favorite apps. You can pin a folder for quick access to it. Or you can pin a photo even. But the photo is not a live tile or a thumbnail, so that kinda sucks.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Pinning a tile to your home screen, like you do with your favorite apps. You can pin a folder for quick access to it. Or you can pin a photo even. But the photo is not a live tile or a thumbnail, so that kinda sucks.
In PFM you also can pin tile for folder, but only for local storages, not cloud

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
And the last thing, it can act as an FTP server. I have NO idea how to get this thing to work or what purpose it has, but the software states that up to 10 people can be logged into it.
Well, when you start the FTP server, it provides you with an IP address, which you can then connect to from other devices, like your PC.

Browse to the IP given by PFM, and there you'll see all the files and folders. You can do usual file operations without the need of USB cable, like copying a video from your PC directly to the Videos folder on the phone.
You can use an FTP client like FileZilla for easier use on PC.
Just make sure you allow "Run under lock screen" in settings of PFM so that the FTP operations don't time out or get suspended when the phone goes idle.
Another thing under Settings "Password protection" and "Use Authentication" for FTP server. Secure enough?

Sure, these features do give PFM an upper hand.
And nice write-up! :)

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the kudos guys. By the way, if you are new to Pocket File Manager, the first time you open the app, it will only show the virtual folders. along with some test files. You have click the + symbol (New). Then select "Add Provider". From here, touch "Phone Folder" and you will find all of the folders that show up on your computer screen when you plug the phone in to your PC. You can add each of them to your root directory. This is also where you will add OneDrive, Dropbox, or any of the other available cloud based servers.

When I first used PFM, I thought, what good is this? All it has is virtual folders, and I can't even access them from my PC. But then I found the + symbol. It quickly jumped to #1.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
PFM is best. It also has photo viewer which is not there in any other app and is also superfast. My only gripe with PFM is not able to search files.

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
In PFM you also can pin tile for folder, but only for local storages, not cloud

AH, it took me a while to find, but you are right. If you tap and hold a folder in the Local Storage section (those are the virtual folders only available to the PFM app itself) there is a pin option. Honestly, though, I don't see much use for those virtual folders, as you can't really do anything with them via other apps or even see them on the PC. I suppose they would be good for hiding files from the kids....LOL...

One thing I did learn, though, is there is a pop up menu for files and folders when you tap and hold. You can see the metadata on photos by using the Info (scroll the options to the right on the pop up menu)

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
AH, it took me a while to find, but you are right. If you tap and hold a folder in the Local Storage section (those are the virtual folders only available to the PFM app itself) there is a pin option. Honestly, though, I don't see much use for those virtual folders, as you can't really do anything with them via other apps or even see them on the PC. I suppose they would be good for hiding files from the kids....LOL...

One thing I did learn, though, is there is a pop up menu for files and folders when you tap and hold. You can see the metadata on photos by using the Info (scroll the options to the right on the pop up menu)
​you can pin any folder from local storage, sd card and any phone memory locations.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Files is best overall because it's fast and has search (very important!). I still keep Pocket File Manager around for the FTP transfer, but that's the only thing I need it for now.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I fully agree with your choices & rankings, but I like to use Folders & PFM side-by-side since folders provides better details of a file & is not cluttered up while PFM is good for different functions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise