Email Attachment in Windows Phone 8.1

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
OK, I have to admit - this is the first hiccup ive had in my transition from Android to Windows Phone 8.1. I love the UI, the fact that my Icon never lags, and generally does exactly what I tell it, when I tell it. It has crashed maybe 1 or 2 times since I bought it at launch, and I cannot recommend the WP platform to enough people.

BUT........

I am an Architect, and I received an email attachment over the weekend - I did not have internet service where I was (out in the country). I needed to drive about 15 mins away from the house, to get cell service so I could download the file. My plan was to download the file via LTE onto my phone, and then plug my phone into my computer to retrieve the file. The file was a .dwg (AutoCAD) file, and it was not large, maybe 5mb - I tapped the download link on the email, and it showed as downloaded. I get back to the house, and the file is nowhere to be found on the phones storage. I tried long pressing the file, only to get a blanked out "save" or "cancel download" options. It is downloaded to the phone, yet I have no access to the file. I don't want to try to open it on the phone (Autodesk has yet to make an app for Windows phone), I literally just wanted to transfer it to my W8 tablet so I could work on it. When I tap on the file, it tells me to search for an app in the store, fine....then it gives me a link to Cloud Manager app, which did nothing for me. I have gone into Pocket File Manager app, doesn't show up anywhere, in the MS Files app, I don't see it. Where the hell did the file go, and why don't I have access to it? I cannot upload to Onedrive, or save the file anywhere on the phone because it is not supported by WP. Doesn't make sense.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me? If the file was compressed into a .zip, would I have been able to access it? Is there any way to save an incompatible file to my phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I've been able to download and access .zip files natively on my 920 running WP 8.1 (yes it does support .zip files and the compressed content). If I want to access downloaded files I can get to them under the Downloads folder under the root directory.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me where the file i downloaded went - the download folder is empty, so, its definitely not there, unless its hidden. Anyone have any explanation?

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess, if it's the same design as most of MSFT's email client, the downloaded attachment is in some folder that the mail client manages, so when you remove/archive/move the email, the attachment will be changed accordingly. So no, on all the MSFT email clients, downloading attachment is not downloading to Downloads folder. You need to save it there - but I don't think windows phone supports that.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Allow me one question:

why all the hassle? Why did you try and download it on your phone just to transfer it over to your Windows 8 device later on? You could've downloaded it there directly. Either via the email app or by going to outlook.com.

But regarding the WP email client, I agree. There's definitely much to improve there. Handling of attachments is one of these things.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess, if it's the same design as most of MSFT's email client, the downloaded attachment is in some folder that the mail client manages, so when you remove/archive/move the email, the attachment will be changed accordingly. So no, on all the MSFT email clients, downloading attachment is not downloading to Downloads folder. You need to save it there - but I don't think windows phone supports that.
It does download .zip files to the Downloads folder for sure

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
there is none file folder called "download",all know that

You've been asleep some time, huh? ;) The OP is clearly stating that he's using Windows Phone 8.1, which DOES have a download folder. If the device sports an SD slot and a card is present, then it even has 2 such folders. One in the device's internal memory, and one on the sd card.

Z Euan

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded a Gmail app in my Windows Phone. I had the same problem, I don't know how to download the attachments received. No options, buttons or anything. i'm totally pissed off. Please help!

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded a Gmail app in my Windows Phone. I had the same problem, I don't know how to download the attachments received. No options, buttons or anything. i'm totally pissed off. Please help!

Try Metromail. It's the only decent client available on Windows phone as of now.

Emmanuel Afang

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, I have to admit - this is the first hiccup ive had in my transition from Android to Windows Phone 8.1. I love the UI, the fact that my Icon never lags, and generally does exactly what I tell it, when I tell it. It has crashed maybe 1 or 2 times since I bought it at launch, and I cannot recommend the WP platform to enough people.

BUT........

I am an Architect, and I received an email attachment over the weekend - I did not have internet service where I was (out in the country). I needed to drive about 15 mins away from the house, to get cell service so I could download the file. My plan was to download the file via LTE onto my phone, and then plug my phone into my computer to retrieve the file. The file was a .dwg (AutoCAD) file, and it was not large, maybe 5mb - I tapped the download link on the email, and it showed as downloaded. I get back to the house, and the file is nowhere to be found on the phones storage. I tried long pressing the file, only to get a blanked out "save" or "cancel download" options. It is downloaded to the phone, yet I have no access to the file. I don't want to try to open it on the phone (Autodesk has yet to make an app for Windows phone), I literally just wanted to transfer it to my W8 tablet so I could work on it. When I tap on the file, it tells me to search for an app in the store, fine....then it gives me a link to Cloud Manager app, which did nothing for me. I have gone into Pocket File Manager app, doesn't show up anywhere, in the MS Files app, I don't see it. Where the hell did the file go, and why don't I have access to it? I cannot upload to Onedrive, or save the file anywhere on the phone because it is not supported by WP. Doesn't make sense.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me? If the file was compressed into a .zip, would I have been able to access it? Is there any way to save an incompatible file to my phone?

Thanks!

Emmanuel Afang

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Try using the ' Novell iPrint' app.
But you'll need to setup your system as a print Server for it to work.
Don't know it will work for file types like .dwg but you can try it.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is Microsoft thought people didnt need access to their files on a phone, thus the lack of "Files" until WP8.1 (circa 2014). Even now, Adobe Acrobats (replace with Email Client for other files) takes over PDF attachments from email and never gives em up. Safe in their storage, but inaccessible. Security.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

BUT........

Thanks!

Next time you have cell service, go to outlook.com in internet explorer in your phone and click on the file. It should give you the option to download it to your phone. Then use the "files" app to find it in your "downloaded" folder. From there you can upload it to OneDrive using the OneDrive app.

Slinkydink

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Would it not have been easier to set your phone up as a mobile wifi hotspot, and download the file on your tablet ?
Sorry if i missed something obvious.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
resurrecting an old thread.. I hit the same damn spot today... Lumia 640 - Wp 8.1 - downloaded a zip file to my phone. wanted to get it to my pc. it's not showing in the SD card nor Phone storage. Microsoft has to address this issue soon. hope this BASIC need is fixed in WP10. I used WP10 for 2 -3 days before switching to 8.1 again due to poor battery life

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss