Windows phone 8.1 USB drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got the lumia 625, 1520 and 1020 - all ruining the latest wp8.1 dp - all of them connect to my multiple windows 8.1 machines with no issue, as well as windows 7 and Apple machines (mountain lion)... Can you get the faulty phone working with another machine, like a friend's or a work machine?

Not to be alarmist but it could simply be the usb socket is not functioning properly. Sadly it happens - the socket on my 1020 went, amazon replaced the device under warranty (I'm in the UK, laws vary etc).

Perhaps contact Nokia?

Good luck!!!

Tornado92

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Start it up in safe mode and then go into device manager - you should be able to see things there that aren't visible in normal mode. Remove anything related to the phone and try everything again in normal mode.
Tried it, didn't see anything new at all. The device manager stays the same with or without the phone connected to the PC.

I think the problem is with the phone itself. In the phone's USB settings, it simply says "Not connected" even when connected to the PC

UPDATE : I've went to Nokia Care center, and unfortunately they stated that enrolling WP 8.1 DP will voids the warranty. They also stated that they need the replace the entire phone's motherboard to get it fixed

Last edited:

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm really really surprised they told you an officially sanctioned ms update voids the warranty.

What part of the world do you hail from?
It is not just him. The Preview for Developers app clearly states that installing the Developer Preview may void your warranty.
I contacted Nokia India through Twitter and their Support Chat about this issue, and both of them told me that the DP voids the phone's warranty.

PS. As you might have guessed, i am from India,

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
It may differ by region in that case...I have 8.1 on my L620 and according to the warranty check thing in Nokia (now Lumia) Care app, it says i'm still warranty.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... I'm in the UK. I appear to be in warranty using lumia help and tips also...

I actually told the amazon customer services that I had installed the developer preview from ms: He spoke to a colleague and I ended up with a new phone.

Perhaps it is a regional thing?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Consumer law is different place to place. It would be odd for a manufacturer to invalidate its own warranty be allowing its own device to be updated using its own software.

This isn't like android - if you want to unlock your boot loader, well it makes sense whatever you do after that is your problem.

This isn't the same thing.

Either way laws are different. I've got two years standard for the device - that's EU wide. They didn't even complain!

Consumer rights sometimes don't make sense. Apple still insist we only get one year warranty but legally it's two and they've had to change it in Italy... No sense indeed. It's all just greed. And economics ;)

CreationHipHop

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone that has the official Cyan update notice if this is still an issue??

Also, i believe that you can use the Nokia Recovery App to install orig. os on lumia phone.
I would do this in the us before you bring phone to metropcs or tmobile to have them look at it for ANY reason, as disclaimer for 8.1 DP in US clearly states that by installing you can void warranty.

Metro PCS tries to cut every corner they can with customer service and save every penny, using any excuse they can to not service your phone. It's one reason they are able to charge so little, cuz almost all of their customer service is automated, it takes an average of 5min on the automated phone menu of repeatedly insisting to talk to an operator before they will actually connect you, it keeps trying to force you to use automated system first. They will jump at the chance to not cover your phone using the DP warrant void excuse. I swear they're trained to try to screw the customer any way possible. That being said, the minimum of $720+ i save a year by using their service, without losing any features of the major networks or speed, makes it WELL worth it to solve my own problems, or to even just buy a new lumia.

michael37

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Preview for dev. is exactly that, a preview for developers,to work out the bugs. It is a beta version of the software and they do not know how stable it is.It could over heat you phone to the point of melting the solder on the boards. Crash when you open a picture. Become self aware and take over the world. Pretty much anything could go wrong. That is why it voids your warranty. Some stores, probably have workers who are ignorant to this fact and will give you a new phone. But they are not supposed to.I would go on the preview for dev. site and see if anyone else has this issue. Or report it on there so they can work on a fix for it. It is probably a result with some app you downloaded not being totally compatible with the OS. Or some app you deleted taking part of the OS coding with it. Either way I would go to dev. site to search for an answer. And maybe next time leave the beta testing t people with a knowledge of coding. If you don't want to run into problems. :wink:

jplbVI

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm from Brazil and I have the same problem!
I have a Lumia 820 (WP8.1) and my laptops running Win 7 and Win 8.1 don't recognize the device either.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello there!
I have a Lumia 1020 with the windows phone 8.1 developer preview, and am experiencing a problem with my phone. I can't connect my phone to my Windows 8.1 laptop.
I have tried all of the solutions I found online.
I can't uninstall or reinstall the drivers as Windows does not recognize the phone, and lists it under "other devices" in device manager.
I have tried connecting the phone while it is off and have even tried changing the USB setings in the Bing search.
I guess the only other solution possible is to find the USB drivers and install them manually.
Can anyone provide a link to the drivers ? I can't find them anywhere online.
Or does anyone know of a solution to my problem?
Really guys, I would be very thankful.
I am also facing the exact same problem.Did u manage to fix it??

cj-is-a-player

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I too am troubleshooting this issue. The phone charges from USB port from Win 8.1 laptop but not connect to open files. Tried to use Metro WP App and File Explorer. I hope to see an update soon. Pain for trying to add/delete music.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I too am troubleshooting this issue. The phone charges from USB port from Win 8.1 laptop but not connect to open files. Tried to use Metro WP App and File Explorer. I hope to see an update soon. Pain for trying to add/delete music.
sad to hear that. What about battery backup on your phone, is it any good after the update??

Independant Parthi

May 12, 2015
Visit site
my lumia 625 is updated to 8.1 and it wont connect to my Laptop OS 8.1
but it connects to other system with OS win 7 or XP
Can any one tell were the problem is . is it with Laptop or Mobile . I need driver . Pc settings says driver is un available.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
my lumia 625 is updated to 8.1 and it wont connect to my Laptop OS 8.1
but it connects to other system with OS win 7 or XP
Can any one tell were the problem is . is it with Laptop or Mobile . I need driver . Pc settings says driver is un available.

If your phone is detected by other PCs/OS , then the problem is definitely with your laptop. Check for drivers under device manager, remove/update existing windows phone drivers.
sometimes laptops fail to recognize phones when the laptops are running on batteries. Connect your laptop to a power source(mains) and then try connecting your phone to the laptop.
There are numerous threads on the forum on this topic, refer them if my reply seems to be inadequate.

Regards,
Raviraj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett