Loading...resuming....why?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone explain why this cannot be fixed so apps load like iOS. Developers...Microsofties hanging around...Anyone at all?
It's really frustrating when even the start screen experiences Loading....and resuming...
Funny anecdote: In central London I saw a sign that said no Loading in this area at any time, I pulled out my phone to load up an app and was met with the dreaded word ...loading...
Tldr WP turned me into a criminal

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Because Windows Phone 8.1 is a Developer Preview, meaning its not finished (yet). The devices custom firmware hasn't been released yet to take advantage of the speed boost provided by WP8.1.

Also alot of apps haven't made the jump to 8.1, so the improvements aren't there yet.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Because Windows Phone 8.1 is a Developer Preview, meaning its not finished (yet). The devices custom firmware hasn't been released yet to take advantage of the speed boost provided by WP8.1.

Also alot of apps haven't made the jump to 8.1, so the improvements aren't there yet.

that's true

Lu520

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

So in Official WP8.1 we wont see the Loading... / Resuming... for apps. Right?

Goder

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site

I think it will be a little better, the developer preview is almost the same as released version

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I truly hope that you're all are right about it being better when everything is finalized and Cyan is out. I spend so much time staring at Loading and Resuming screens it's not even funny. I actually get a bit of iOS envy when I see people launch things instantly on their phones whereas I have to wait forever even just to change albums. I realize this was what I should expect for using a preview, but it's still got me a bit worried...

Anyway, I'll just keep looking forward to that "Update is Available" notification.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Most answers here are wishful thinking...

Honestly, it's complicated. It's not just one thing, but at least a dozen factors which combined, noticeably contribute to application launch and resume times. Some factors always have a role to play. Some factors depend on how the last app you were using is programmed. Some factors depend on how the app that you launched/resumed is programed. Some factors may or may not apply depending on how you use your phone:

Average seek/read times from NAND storage, RAM bandwidth, CLR initialization time (a big factor), the amount of work done by the apps going through state transitions to and from being suspended, the time it takes to tombstone an app when the RAM requirements for a newly launched app can't be satisfied, whether or not an app supports fast resume, whether the app utilizes the WP8.1 APIs or the 8.0 APIs that influence memory resource management, the size of the app you are launching, etc etc etc.

Most of this stuff won't make much sense to you unless you're a software engineer. Not that it can't be explained, but I don't know how to explain it to non-software-engineers without writing a book.

WP8.1 should have the affect that we see the 'resuming' message less frequently, AFTER all apps are updated to use the WP8.1 APIs, but when we do encounter the 'resuming' message, the device will behave pretty much the same as it does today.

Last edited:

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Most answers here are wishful thinking...

Honestly, it's complicated. It's not just one thing, but at least a dozen factors which combined, noticeably contribute to application launch and resume times. Some factors always have a role to play. Some factors depend on how the last app you were using is programmed. Some factors depend on how the app that you launched/resumed is programed. Some factors may or may not apply depending on how you use your phone:

Average seek/read times from NAND storage, RAM bandwidth, CLR initialization time (a big factor), the amount of work done by the apps going through state transitions to and from being suspended, the time it takes to tombstone an app when the RAM requirements for a newly launched app can't be satisfied, whether or not an app supports fast resume, whether the app utilizes the WP8.1 APIs or the 8.0 APIs that influence memory resource management, the size of the app you are launching, etc etc etc.

Most of this stuff won't make much sense to you unless you're a software engineer. Not that it can't be explained, but I don't know how to explain it to non-software-engineers without writing a book.

WP8.1 should have the affect that we see the 'resuming' message less frequently, AFTER all apps are updated to use the WP8.1 APIs, but when we do encounter the 'resuming' message, the device will behave pretty much the same as it does today.

You are correct, Developers are the lining factor whether we see the speed improvements in their apps or not.

Most developers base their app average on Lumia devices (as they have the most market-share) so owning a lumia device will show the improvements because they optimized on this hardware (unless your really good with the Windows phone developer power tools).

For these apps to take advantage of the OS's improved memory allocation, software speed improvements and so forth will require a stable OS and firmware to have the right drivers & optimizations (right now WP8.1 is emulating certain drivers)

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I truly hope that you're all are right about it being better when everything is finalized and Cyan is out. I spend so much time staring at Loading and Resuming screens it's not even funny. I actually get a bit of iOS envy when I see people launch things instantly on their phones whereas I have to wait forever even just to change albums. I realize this was what I should expect for using a preview, but it's still got me a bit worried...

Anyway, I'll just keep looking forward to that "Update is Available" notification.

I wouldn't get green with envy over IOS, its a mess when its in developer fashion. WP8.1 in its state is stable & more reliable (even more so when its finished).

The lumia 520 was the development device when MS was developing WP8.1 features, to show off the fact that its a usage friendly OS, the fact that it is not done shows that even more.

Last edited:

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
S. The loading/Resuming related to RAM/Processor things not to firmware/update IMO
nope not ram/processor ... 8.1 is supposed to work smooth and fast like 8 .. but even on 1520 and low end 520 8.1 is quite slow as compared to 8 performance... lets hope lumia cyan update will fix it .... the firmware part.

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
If its a lumia 520 then there will be a split second of the loading/resuming but it will be not noticeable, on the higher ram devices apps open instantly.
actually lumia 520 is working slow on 8.1 as compared to 8.. lets hope the firmware update wd lumia cyan update wl fix it

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
actually lumia 520 is working slow on 8.1 as compared to 8.. lets hope the firmware update wd lumia cyan update wl fix it

We are well aware of that, i was explaining after the Cyan update and the finished version of WP8.1 will achieve described by joe belfiore.

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
nope not ram/processor ... 8.1 is supposed to work smooth and fast like 8 .. but even on 1520 and low end 520 8.1 is quite slow as compared to 8 performance... lets hope lumia cyan update will fix it .... the firmware part.

WP8.1 uses the RAM and Processor more efficiently (like every software update/firmware). But if their are bugs and unfinished/incompatible software/drivers that run the phone the software improvements would be null.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I doubt that the "Official Release" will make any difference!
But still we all can hope!

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
As a point all OSes have some form of "Loading/Resuming" WP is just designed in a way that makes it more apparent that it's loading the app. Switching apps on my Nexus 5 often brings up a blank white screen or just an app header with the loading circle while it's bringing everything back into memory.

Firmware should speed things up but I wouldn't expect a massive improvement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte