05-18-2015 12:12 AM
28 12
tools
    Are there any apps for email that can manage multiple accounts, have a live tile that tells the total amount of unread emails (instead of newest email since last opened), had signature support, and isn't sluggish on the 1520?
    missionsparta likes this.
    07-04-2014 08:17 AM
    I am using the standard app and have 2 accounts (used to be 3), it's not sluggish and it has signature support...
    07-04-2014 09:10 AM
    The built in App is working pretty good for me. Used to suck on 8.0 as you had to download each and every email before viewing. 8.1 has the 'automatically download all emails' option. However I've found that if I'm having a long email conversation with someone, once the email convo gets to around 400kb in size it will stop automatically downloading and revert to having to hit the download button or start a new conversation with that person altogether.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums
    07-04-2014 09:38 AM
    It doesn't display total unread email in live tile or in the actually app. It's super stupid to lack such basic stuff.
    07-05-2014 07:40 PM
    What is the built in app called? I think I deleted it

Sent from Seattle using Tapatalk
    07-05-2014 08:55 PM
    I take this silence as no one has any alternative that's actually good.
    07-06-2014 04:54 PM
    Metromail , it is really advanced with almost all features, but it still needs some polish and few fixes here and there
    jleebiker likes this.
    07-06-2014 05:07 PM
    It doesn't display total unread email in live tile or in the actually app. It's super stupid to lack such basic stuff.
    Ikr. My Blackberry from how many years ago did this basic thing. I think it's stupid.

I think it's also stupid that you have to pin subfolders on the start screen because you don't get notifications for sub folders.

Hell, even when you pin it, it still doesn't notify you. Very stupid
    07-06-2014 05:51 PM
    Except not being able to attach documents and not supporting my work email EAS policy, the email client is sufficient to me - still I do hope we can make a lot of noises (tweet Joe Belfiore etc) to force them know how we think about their work
    James8561 likes this.
    07-06-2014 11:55 PM
    Except not being able to attach documents and not supporting my work email EAS policy, the email client is sufficient to me - still I do hope we can make a lot of noises (tweet Joe Belfiore etc) to force them know how we think about their work
    I think you should be able to attach documents through the "files" app.
    James8561 likes this.
    07-07-2014 01:18 PM
    Metromail , it is really advanced with almost all features, but it still needs some polish and few fixes here and there
    I tried metro mail and it's super sluggish on my 1520. Plus it doesn't display the unread mail on a live tile.
    07-07-2014 01:19 PM
    huh? you're like the only one I know that hates the built-in mail app. I think it's the absolute best email experience ever on a phone.
    and for the record it CAN manage multiple accounts (even merge them into one single inbox), HAS signature support, and DOES NOT lag since it is built into the OS.
    if you want a count of how many unread emails (within the sync time allowance, say 1 week or 2 week synced) then just tap ..., tap folder, then the number is in parentheses.
    rdubmu likes this.
    07-07-2014 01:52 PM
    huh? you're like the only one I know that hates the built-in mail app. I think it's the absolute best email experience ever on a phone.
    and for the record it CAN manage multiple accounts (even merge them into one single inbox), HAS signature support, and DOES NOT lag since it is built into the OS.
    if you want a count of how many unread emails (within the sync time allowance, say 1 week or 2 week synced) then just tap ..., tap folder, then the number is in parentheses.
    i have 3 accounts. Knowing how many unread emails I have seems like s really basic feature and still the built in app doesn't do it.
    07-08-2014 07:31 AM
    Link your inboxes. Open any one of your mail accounts, pull up the setting bar and select Link Inboxes. Now you will get one live tile showing the unread mail count for all your accounts.
    07-08-2014 10:46 AM
    Actually I too dislike the built in mail app , but its really smooth when compared to metromail , but lacks few UI elements and advanced features.
    07-08-2014 04:19 PM
    How about spam filtering? That feature would be very helpful.
    07-08-2014 04:41 PM
    How about spam filtering? That feature would be very helpful.
    Spam filtering should be apart of your email service. The phone only displays what your service should already be doing.
    07-08-2014 04:48 PM
    Link your inboxes. Open any one of your mail accounts, pull up the setting bar and select Link Inboxes. Now you will get one live tile showing the unread mail count for all your accounts.
    I don't think you understand my issue. My issue is that it doesn't show me the total amount of unread emails.it only shows me new emails since the last time I've opened the mail app. And even when I click the unread section in the app it still doesn't show how many emails are unread even if my accounts are linked together.
    07-08-2014 04:53 PM
    That's what I thought it should be doing but with my yahoo account the filtered email still makes it into my inbox on my WP. Not sure why.
    07-08-2014 04:54 PM
    That's what I thought it should be doing but with my yahoo account the filtered email still makes it into my inbox on my WP. Not sure why.
    That's weird. Not sure why that's happening. Is it in your inbox when you check again on yahoo?
    07-08-2014 05:50 PM
    I don't think you understand my issue. My issue is that it doesn't show me the total amount of unread emails.it only shows me new emails since the last time I've opened the mail app. And even when I click the unread section in the app it still doesn't show how many emails are unread even if my accounts are linked together.
    MetroMail will show you the total # of unread emails. You can pin tiles specific for each account you add to it. The pinned tiles will tell you the number of NEW emails and when you go into the tile, you can see the total number of unread emails like you want. I don't know of one that will show you the # of unread ones on the tile itself.
    07-08-2014 06:06 PM
    MetroMail will show you the total # of unread emails. You can pin tiles specific for each account you add to it. The pinned tiles will tell you the number of NEW emails and when you go into the tile, you can see the total number of unread emails like you want. I don't know of one that will show you the # of unread ones on the tile itself.

I know metro mail will at least show me in the app itself but its just really slow and sluggish on my phone. Not sure why its that way. May not be optimized for WP 8.1.
    07-08-2014 06:08 PM
    I think you should be able to attach documents through the "files" app.
    No, it's different. If I hit reply, I should be able to attach a document to that reply; sharing from Files will create a new email/email thread.
    07-16-2014 09:27 PM
    If you're looking for fast, smooth, full-feature third party email clients for WP 8/8.1, you're out of luck. Metromail is full-featured, but like all the third party email clients on the platform, is rather slow.

The fastest app is, of course, the basic mail app that comes with WP 8/8.1, but it's also severely lacking in features.

Unfortunately, this is rather systemic of the platform. Try to find a calendar app that isn't just a wrapper for the built in calendar, as another example of either:

a) Poor platform apis
    b) Poor developer skills
    c) Some combination of the two

..that are available for WP. :(

At the moment, I make do with the built in mail app, after spending a ton of time on the actual email services working on a gazillion filters so as to keep the inbox manageable. I do miss things like "tabs" and other basic organizational concepts email apps on other platforms have had for...a while now.

And, yes, Metromail has this type of stuff, but it is so freakin' slow. I'm not sure if I can really fault them, as I don't believe I've encountered any third party email app (not that there are many) for WP 8/8.1 that isn't super slow.

There is a "new" app that is supposedly in the works that at least looks pretty/like something you might be able to find on iOS or Android. No idea if they've managed to make an imap client that is actually fast for the platform. But, you can keep an eye on it for its eventual beta release at: http://www.maestroapp.com/ which their latest update claims will come out this month.
    07-16-2014 09:58 PM
    Basically I need Push notifications for more than the # of mailboxes currently allowed by WP. Metromail allows me to do that.
    07-21-2014 10:52 AM
28 12