Gmail deletes in 8.1?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed now that when I delete messages on my phone, they are just "archived", which is a godawful behavior, regardless of what the settings are in the IMAP settings page on my gmail account.

Did the behavior around deleted messages with GMail accounts change in 8.1, or did my gmail settings somehow get messed up or something? I can't find anything else on the phone settings or GMail settings that would explain this behavior, and it's ONLY happening to messages that get deleted on my phone, not any other devices.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed now that when I delete messages on my phone, they are just "archived", which is a godawful behavior, regardless of what the settings are in the IMAP settings page on my gmail account.

Did the behavior around deleted messages with GMail accounts change in 8.1, or did my gmail settings somehow get messed up or something? I can't find anything else on the phone settings or GMail settings that would explain this behavior, and it's ONLY happening to messages that get deleted on my phone, not any other devices.

there was something odd in gmail since begining.
prior to 8.1, deleted mails were transfered to "deleted mails" folders (tagged) instead of going to trash.
after 8.1, i have not gave thought about it. i will check.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
there was something odd in gmail since begining.
prior to 8.1, deleted mails were transfered to "deleted mails" folders (tagged) instead of going to trash.
after 8.1, i have not gave thought about it. i will check.

Yeah, they certainly aren't ending up in "deleted items", just getting archived.

I don't see anything in there with a sync date newer than 2013, I believe that was just for controlling EAS, but I'll poke around.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, they certainly aren't ending up in "deleted items", just getting archived.

I don't see anything in there with a sync date newer than 2013, I believe that was just for controlling EAS, but I'll poke around.

Using that link, I logged in to my account. Under "manage devices" I see Windows Phone.
Tapping that takes me to a page where I can check the option for "Enable "Delete Email As Trash" for this device.".

hope it works for you too.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Using that link, I logged in to my account. Under "manage devices" I see Windows Phone.
Tapping that takes me to a page where I can check the option for "Enable "Delete Email As Trash" for this device.".

hope it works for you too.

Sadly, that was already checked and nothing there looks in any way current. Anyone else having this issue?

mattdreed

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues. I'm also frustrated with Gmail not deleting messages that had been deleted on the phone and simply archiving them. Up until 8.1 I had no issues with deleted items syncing (using method in the link). Now, even though everything is set correctly, the issue remains on 2 Google apps accounts and a regular Gmail account.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
funny thing is, if u delete it through any other mail app, it deletes it, not just archive.
i m having metromail installed and being used parallel on my phone. i deleted one mail from metromail, it went to trash. i confirmed it on PC.

Cersdo

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Starting from today? My Gmail cant connect, and i cant add new Gmail account.
Some one got same or its just me?

Error code: 80072F05

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I found this setting by logging in to in gmail.com:
Settings > forwarding and pop/imap >

"when i mark a message in imap as deleted" > Turn off auto-expunge.

You can then choose not to archive the deleted mails, and instead move to trash or immediately delete forever.

gmyzak

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

You can then choose not to archive the deleted mails, and instead move to trash or immediately delete forever.

Does this work for you? Regardless of what the IMAP settings are, my emails still don't move to the Trash.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

i am gonna try, but i am really doubtful about it. as i have stated earlier, the default mail app archives them, but if u delete through MetroMail, it trashes it.
thus, it got to be something with the default mail app, not with gmail.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i am gonna try, but i am really doubtful about it. as i have stated earlier, the default mail app archives them, but if u delete through MetroMail, it trashes it.
thus, it got to be something with the default mail app, not with gmail.

Yeah, this changed 100% when I installed 8.1 Sadly, the just released 8.1 update doesn't fix it.

AR_B

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
This is Expected behaviour. Because GOOGLE, support itself says following :

Source : support.google.com/mail/answer/78755

If you delete a message from your inbox or one of your custom folders in your IMAP client, it will still appear in [Gmail]/All Mail.

Here's why: in most folders, deleting a message simply removes that folder's label from the message, including the label identifying the message as being in your inbox. [Gmail]/All Mail shows all of your messages, whether or not they have labels attached to them.

If you want to delete a message from all folders, move it to the [Gmail]/Trash folder.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Why is Google so afraid of MS that they don't offer any apps for the WP OS, they don't offer support to the minute few that's already there and yet Google/Android has the lion share of the market with respect to devices and OSes used and yet it's a problem to just update, lend us an app or two. Seriously can MS after getting an official YT app from Google or and other mainstream apps currently in usage around the world take the away the market share from Google?? Yes competition is there no matter what but why offer the same support to your biggest/only rival Apple your apps and services and have 0 fear from them why is that? MS right now is playing catchup and when a step or two is gained you pull 3 ahead but still find it hard to allow WP to have a decent OS with properly working apps. Maybe if you and MS could get along then there wouldn't be stupid annoyances of deleting an email and having it go to anywhere but the TRASH!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05