Why are there no release notes?

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The happiest daya for any geek are the days their stuff gets updated! :)

One of the best feelings in the world is the one you get, when your phone tells you "A new update is ready for your device".
You download it, it installs for ages and finally it finishes, and you quickly punch in you PIN aaaaaaaaand nothing has changed, apparently...

Yesterday it happened to me when an update arrived for my Lumia 630, and it has happened many many times before.
After the initial rush of getting an update, I'm left with an empty feeling of getting nothing new, or at least nothing new that I am aware of.

I have been thinking about this for quite a while, and I would think that Microsoft would want their customers to be excited over their phone as much of the time as they can...
Why wouldn't it be in Microsofts interest to always tell the user what exactly their updates do?

It would undoubtedly make them much more happy, even if the update just provides a few "performance upgrades"... Tell us where the performance is supposed to be improved, tell us if the camera's startup time is now improved with 0.5%, tell us if the battery now lasts 10 minutes longer on average, tell us if word prediction is improved, or if IE-security have been improved - even if it's just a little.

Of course Microsoft knows what are improved in their updates, and compared to actually writing the code, a list of detailed release notes should be no problem at all...

Can anyone come up with a good reason for them NOT to do it?

yarvelling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree.... My phone went through a big update a couple of weeks ago, and I got very excited by the thought that it may finally be WP8.1. Rather deflated to find after reboots, that there was nothing visibly different. Nothing seems to have changed - I still have 'Black' and WP8, and it runs exactly the same as it did before.... so what the heck was that update? No release notes, nothing to say what it was all about....!
Irritating!
When (if) they ever get round to releasing WP8.1 officially, will it tell us that's what the update is? I should hope so!

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
A way to get a changelog is to search for the update version in google!

Those are still mostly guesses from users...
Also it shouldn't be necessary to search the web for a changelog, it should be the first thing you see after you install an update!

Gkaarl

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Also it shouldn't be necessary to search the web for a changelog, it should be the first thing you see after you install an update!
Yep, i know... But neither Microsoft or Nokia think so! :(

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Check with GOOGLE! Google isn't providing the update, Microsoft is. With each update should come a text file explaining what was done, what changes were made and how to take advantage of the changes.

GOOGLE! Really?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs