Wp dp8.1 gdr1

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I'm reading this morning about GDR1 going rtm thus week from multiple sources. I have a question about this.

I'm running 8.1 DP now. Lets say the GDR1 comes out this in the next 10 days like these predictions. We download it. Since nearly every carrier has NOT even release 8.1 yet, what happens when they do? I don't have the cyan firmware yet, when Verizon finally does let it go, hows that play out.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re: WP DP8.1 GDR1

RTM does not mean that it will hit phones on the same date, it'll be a few months before manufacturers have finished testing. Release for Developers have it sooner, if GDR1 will have a developer preview (we've had no confirmation yes/no as yet).

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

@Aperture - I tend to disagree. Rumor has it that Microsoft WILL release the GDR1 to people who are already running Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers version. AFTER the WP8.1 DevPreview release, if there are little to no major problems, Microsoft will then release it to the manufacturers and carriers. We "previewers" are the "guinea pigs" for Microsoft (and I'm glad to be one!) and it is up to us to provide the feedback to Microsoft to get bugs fixed before they send it to manufacturers and carriers.

My only concern is that if we do the GDR1 update, and the carrers release WP8.1 with Cyan firmware, and we have already updated to GDR1, we may not get the WP8.1 with Cyan firmware. I say this because when Verizon recently released a firmware update for the Icon, I could not get the firmware update (which fixed the WiFi issue) until I used the Nokia Software Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.0, received the firmware update, then re-upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1. I would hate to have to do this again to get the Cyan update. But I will if I have to, because I am a mega-WP Beta tester. I want the latest and greatest of WP, no matter what! lol

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

NOLA, That was exactly my concern. God knows when Verizon will release 8.1. Knowing them it could be august or sept. Meanwhile I DL 8.1 Update 1 through Preview and then 8.1 is release on Verizon. Does an official carrier release override a dev preview that is newer under the DP program? I dunno.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

You will get Cyan and nothing will change with the OS as it will see the version is already above what is released. The OS and Firmware updates are separate updates and both check to make sure they are needed.

This is the beauty of WP.... It is not Android or IOS where updates are just a giant package. WPs are updated like PCs where your OS and BIOS are updated separately as needed.

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

This is the beauty of WP.... It is not Android or IOS where updates are just a giant package. WPs are updated like PCs where your OS and BIOS are updated separately as needed.

And just like PCs they need to be rebooted every so often :p

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

So you have a phone that is running OS A, because that's the latest on a server. Suddenly OS B pops up, you check for an update on your phone and find it, and now your phone is up to date.

With me so far? Good.

Now your carrier releases OS A + 1, but your phone is running is running OS B, which is newer. Your phone won't tell you about the new OS because yours hasa newer version, but it will get that + 1, it Cyan.

Hopefully you understand, and that wasn't too confusing. :)

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: WP DP8.1 GDR1

So you have a phone that is running OS A, because that's the latest on a server. Suddenly OS B pops up, you check for an update on your phone and find it, and now your phone is up to date.

With me so far? Good.

Now your carrier releases OS A + 1, but your phone is running is running OS B, which is newer. Your phone won't tell you about the new OS because yours hasa newer version, but it will get that + 1, it Cyan.

Hopefully you understand, and that wasn't too confusing. :)

Are you sure that's true? Based on OP, it doesn't seem to be the case. He said he could not download a firmware bug fix update because he was on 8.1. He had to downgrade to 8, get the firmware update, and then update back to 8.1.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

jasquid ? let me clarify a bit?

I believe the reason I did not get the firmware update for the Lumia Icon was because the firmware update that Verizon released was meant for the Windows Phone 8.0 OS. Since I had WP8.1 Dev Preview (a higher OS than what the firmware was meant for), I didn't get the firmware update. This is probably because the install file was searching for WP8.0, not WP8.1.

As long as the OS on your phone is the same as the version associated with the firmware being pushed out (or earlier), you will get the update. In other words, if you have WP8.0 or WP8.1 Dev Preview with Nokia Black firmware and Verizon pushes out WP8.1 (official OS) with Nokia Cyan firmware update, you WILL receive the new update.

Where I question is whether or not you will get the WP8.1 with Cyan firmware if you update to WP8.1 GDR1 while still only having Nokia Black firmware. I fear that the WP8.1 with Cyan firmware install file will be looking for WP8.0 or WP8.1 (since that is the OS version being pushed out) to install the Cyan firmware. But if we have GDR1 installed, will we have the same issue as I did with the previous WP8.0 firmware fix?

If anyone can answer that, please let me know.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

ALL phones need to be occasionally restarted regardless of the OS. Apple, Android, BB, WP, Umbuntu, etc. They all need to reboot at some point which allows for clearing cache and increasing performance. Usually this is a good thing to do when you've decided to uninstall apps or have installed a bunch of new ones.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
ALL phones need to be occasionally restarted regardless of the OS. Apple, Android, BB, WP, Umbuntu, etc. They all need to reboot at some point which allows for clearing cache and increasing performance. Usually this is a good thing to do when you've decided to uninstall apps or have installed a bunch of new ones.

^ missing the point of the conversation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos