If you're having battery issues, overheating, "Resuming.." or delayed power button wakes, try these!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If you're having battery issues, overheating, "Resuming.." or delayed power button wakes, try these!

I'm basically compiling some interesting stuff I've found hunting through these boards because it appears every Windows Phone I've upgraded to the 8.1DP (except the 520, strangely) has been getting issues that make it impossible to use. On my Lumia Icon, it would overheat and the power button would start having 3-9 seconds of delay when on WiFi. Using diagnostics I must've sent at LEAST fifty error reports with nothing being fixed... but there are some very helpful people I've run into here and there that gave me solutions that I'd like to share.

Solution #1: Open EVERY App Installed On Your Phone
From what I understand, apps do need to be initialized so that they don't cause problems. It sounds illogical that people would have apps installed that they haven't even used once, but the user response for this has been too much to ignore. While this wasn't a solve-all solution, it made the situation much more bearable when I had my Lumia Icon.

Solution #2: Unpin Cortana's Live Tile From Your Start Screen
Unpinning Cortana was something I first heard of from the user Kurtis Fox in this thread. I'm not exactly sure how the Cortana live tile has anything to do with it, but the moment I unpinned it, my 1520 stopped idle-overheat-battery-draining, and the indefinite "Loading...","Resuming..." that occurred after unlocking stopped as well! After so many people told me it was due to low reception areas I was overjoyed to find that was not the case. Regardless of signal, my phone's been staying cool to the touch until I decide to game on it. I halfway wish I still had my Lumia Icon so I could see if this solved the daily overheating I had.

Solution #3: Block The Background Process For All Games By "Gameloft"
Gameloft; while once being humble copy-cat artists, have turned into the exact kind of poison that can make your phone unusable. Even though they take IAP way too far, they spit out a quality game every now and then... but at the same time they are the absolute worst about murdering your battery with non-stop toast notifications and heavy background processes. Go into battery saver and make sure nothing by this publisher is allowed to run in the background.

Solution #4: Assure none of your email accounts' refresh is set to "based on my usage"
This option is a gargantuan battery monger, and has two different ways in which it can wreck havoc on your device. Go into your settings, email+accounts and set the drop down menus for both "Download new email" and "Sync contacts and calendar" to something (ANYTHING!!!) other than based on my usage. I prefer to have mine set to "every 2 hours" and it works swell for me.

Solution #5: Set Up "Kid's Corner"
This is especially helpful if you unlock your device and are treated to a screen that says "Resuming..." very often. This basically resets your lock screen and gets rid of whatever cached data is causing your device to be constantly bludgeoning you with screens that take away from the super-fast, snappy and responsive nature of WP8.1. Swipe down to access your notification bar, tap "All Settings," then scroll down until you see "Kid's Corner". Go through the process of setting it up with a couple apps just to establish it. Test to assure it's been setup properly, then you can go right back into your settings and turn if off if you so desire. This should; at the very least, cut down the amount (if not totally eliminate) the "Resuming..." / "Loading..." screens

...any more tips will be added with due credit. I'll try to keep it visible (possibly even get it stickied?).

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you're having battery issues, overheating or delayed power button wakes, try these!

This is definitely a good start and I appreciate the Solution #1 specifically. I'll try it out on one of my many WP devices and post back.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you're having battery issues, overheating or delayed power button wakes, try these!

This is definitely a good start and I appreciate the Solution #1 specifically. I'll try it out on one of my many WP devices and post back.
#2 was the big game changer for me. I've fallen in love with my 1520 again. The overheating almost drove me to go iPhone!

ikhwanZulkefli

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Great man! Thanks. Solved my lagging problem on each and every game

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Great man! Thanks. Solved my lagging problem on each and every game
Awesome. I'm very glad to see that this compilation of things works for people!

...I've also added a fourth solution, something that should've made the original cut but it slipped my mind! Make sure to give that one a go too.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm basically compiling some interesting stuff I've found hunting through these boards because it appears every Windows Phone I've upgraded to the 8.1DP (except the 520, strangely) has been getting issues that make it impossible to use. On my Lumia Icon, it would overheat and the power button would start having 3-9 seconds of delay when on WiFi. Using diagnostics I must've sent at LEAST fifty error reports with nothing being fixed... but there are some very helpful people I've run into here and there that gave me solutions that I'd like to share.

Solution #1: Open EVERY App Installed On Your Phone
From what I understand, apps do need to be initialized so that they don't cause problems. It sounds illogical that people would have apps installed that they haven't even used once, but the user response for this has been too much to ignore. While this wasn't a solve-all solution, it made the situation much more bearable when I had my Lumia Icon.

Solution #2: Unpin Cortana's Live Tile From Your Start Screen
Unpinning Cortana was something I first heard of from the user Kurtis Fox in this thread. I'm not exactly sure how the Cortana live tile has anything to do with it, but the moment I unpinned it, my 1520 stopped idle-overheat-battery-draining, and the indefinite "Loading...","Resuming..." that occurred after unlocking stopped as well! After so many people told me it was due to low reception areas I was overjoyed to find that was not the case. Regardless of signal, my phone's been staying cool to the touch until I decide to game on it. I halfway wish I still had my Lumia Icon so I could see if this solved the daily overheating I had.

Solution #3: Block The Background Process For All Games By "Gameloft"
Gameloft; while once being humble copy-cat artists, have turned into the exact kind of poison that can make your phone unusable. Even though they take IAP way too far, they spit out a quality game every now and then... but at the same time they are the absolute worst about murdering your battery with non-stop toast notifications and heavy background processes. Go into battery saver and make sure nothing by this publisher is allowed to run in the background.

Solution #4: Assure none of your email accounts' refresh is set to "based on my usage"
This option is a gargantuan battery monger, and has two different ways in which it can wreck havoc on your device. Go into your settings, email+accounts and set the drop down menus for both "Download new email" and "Sync contacts and calendar" to something (ANYTHING!!!) other than based on my usage. I prefer to have mine set to "every 2 hours" and it works swell for me.

...any more tips will be added with due credit. I'll try to keep it visible (possibly even get it stickied?).
Would you suggest turning battery saver on?
How do you set your email sync to 2 hrs as the maximum for me is 1 hr.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Would you suggest turning battery saver on?
How do you set your email sync to 2 hrs as the maximum for me is 1 hr.
Some accounts types simply will not have access to a 2hr setting. For example, my college email (Office365) only has access to 1hr, but Personal, Business and Security Account emails (all Gmail) have access to the ability to refresh every 2 hours.

As for battery saver, I have it controlling many of my background processes and kicking into effect at about 20%... and I have no adverse effects out of it... however others have reported that it causes problems. It's simply a YMMV case.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Some accounts types simply will not have access to a 2hr setting. For example, my college email (Office365) only has access to 1hr, but Personal, Business and Security Account emails (all Gmail) have access to the ability to refresh every 2 hours.

As for battery saver, I have it controlling many of my background processes and kicking into effect at about 20%... and I have no adverse effects out of it... however others have reported that it causes problems. It's simply a YMMV case.

My email is outlook.com, so that's maybe why. I find setting it to "as they arrive" or 1 hour sync is fine. I set battery saver to kick in when the battery's low too.
Thank you for your help :)

Not keeping Cortana or battery saver as live tiles helps.

I don't find my 930 excessively overheating. Though having Flash as part of IE won't help with battery life.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried solutions 1 and 4, and all that I can say is so far so good, no overheating, I see and improvement in battery life and the power button haven't had any delays
My icon is working like a charm right now

Last edited:

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I experinence the wake delay issue however wifi is not the issue. It makes no difference for me. It only delays when I have my brightness setting set to automatic. If its set to anything else its fine. I have a 920

xankazo

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Good post. I'll try everything, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

If I can just mention hopefully without it being taken wrong; one idea is to try using a Windows Phone that is not a Nokia Lumia. While that is probably sacrilegious around here, I can honestly say that the various problems that have cropped up for people over the course of the developer preview have not happened or existed for me, and I have both an HTC 8xt my daughter plays with, and my Samsung Ativ S Neo.

For the record, I'm not insulting Nokia, but I am saying these assorted problems, I'm not seeing them and I'm using DP just like everyone else and further, my phone is Bitlocker encrypted via EAS.

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I will tell you, the second tip is what nearly bricked my Lumia 822. Seriously. I found this thread and tried option 2 and its actually back to normal! How odd...

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

It's not just a Lumia problem. I have an htc 8x and my battery life is atrocious. None of the suggestions have worked and I've tried them all.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

It's not just a Lumia problem. I have an htc 8x and my battery life is atrocious. None of the suggestions have worked and I've tried them all.

That's so weird. The 8xt in my household does extremely well. I suppose that perhaps its not manufacturer but maybe what apps people are using under DP? Oh well. Beta software is always fascinating.

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

OK so I did Options 1 & 4 (not got Cortana set up on UK 930, and don't have Gameloft games installed) and although I only did this around three hours ago, my 930 has not gotten hot to the touch at all, and battery seems to be stabilising. I'll keep testing it throughout the day and tomorrow and will get a better idea tomorrow of any changes :) Thanks for the tip!

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I know this thread should be only for phones with WP8.1 DP, but i think cuz it's active thread, will help others who doesn't have DP, since WP8 and WP8.1 are 90% the same OS, so it doesn't matter.
I have a suggestion, cus so many threads touch these questions, why don't we use this thread to not just said what is wrong with the battery, but let's say we monitor our battery behavior and report this here? Maybe we find a solution.
For example: My battery starts overheating when or after i do this and that (and possible solution to that if you figure it out how)
I think you understand my purpose.

So here is my "monitoring":
- I use Insider Pro for the battery monitoring, it's a great tool with lots of features and informations and did not impact the battery or the RAM as some other apps are doing. It almost have 0% usage in Processes. Free version of Insider is full functional Pro version but with some adds, barely noticable.
- Sometimes when i make a phone call or receive one, let's say normal call for about 30-60 seconds, i find that on the area around my back camera is starting to overheat and after 15-20 minutes the phone in that area and on the front in the screen are very hot and cause a battery drain from 15-20%. This doesn't happen every time, but lets say 4-5 times a month. What I do in that moment is go to Settings>Background Tasks (doing nothing) and just go back to Start screen. The phone start to cool off immediately and in around 1 minute it's back to normal. I am not sure if this is a solution for that but it works, and i think WP has some issues of finishing tasks. It's like some task got stuck in the background and it tries to finish and causing the phone to overheat. I don't think it's a hardware problem, cuz if it was, it will do it every time, not sometimes. In Background Tasks, everything is blocked except Insider Pro (cuz it needs for the monitoring) and Samsung NOW, which i use only for the weather, no news, stocks, etc. and the weather is changing only when i connect to internet. Yes, I tested with blocking these two apps, the problem is still there, so it's not them which are causing this.
- This is a question now: When you have a long conversation, lets say 30 minutes to 1 hour. Does your phone start to get normal hot or above normal hot? This happens to me sometimes when i have long conversation (usually business related), the phone gets from normal hot to above normal hot. But most of the times is ok.
- Sometimes also when i surf on the net (either through IE or some app) if the page on IE have a white background (most of them are) and if the app i am using at the moment has only white background (facebook, facebook beta, facebook messenger, etc) the phone got pretty hot, which you might say it's normal, but what I have notice, when I use apps who have black backgrounds (like WP Central, Gismeteo Weather, IM+, etc) the phone is staying fine and it's bellow normal hotness. I tested this one more time by opening Facebook Beta, IE and Messenger in the same time, using them for about 20 minutes, the phone got above normal hot and then i closed those apps and open WP Central and IM+ (which have black backgrounds) and the phone in 1-2 minututes start to cool off. Strange, isn't it? :)
---------------
Most of the times the phone works perfect even if Rotation is ON, Location is ON and Wi-Fi finder is ON all the time. This cases I write you about are happening sometimes, not all the times.
So far I got only this, if i notice something else I will either update this post/comment or will write another one.
Thanks for reading, keep this thread alive.

P.S. If this post is not suitable for here, I will ask moderators or others to point me the right thread where to re-post this so I can do it and then you delete this post from here, Tahnk you :)
My Device: Samsung ATIV S GT-i8750
Display: HD Super AMOLED (1280x720)
RAM: 1GB
Storage: 16GB

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs