Lumia Cyan update. But why?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This for me, I just want the battery to stabilize.

Same here, some days my battery drain is normal - as in doesn't go down from 100% down to 79% in a space of 15 minutes of using the WPcentral app. Also when changing regions to buy apps (from US to UK) also I have a battery bug - where the phone thinks it is out of charge when in fact it is not. Have to soft reset a few times to get it to boot again. Last night was worse, phone was on charge and nearing 100%, did a region change and phone rebooted with the flashing battery.. when it finally rebooted. it said only 2% was left and will take 2 hrs and 51 minutes to fully recharge T____T. But 10 minutes later, my phone was at 100% lol.

Now I can't use Cortana as it would mean restarting to do the region switch and having to go through all that again :angry:.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your comment.

<snip>

I think I just got my welcome to Windows Phone users.

No offense meant, but the Cyan update has been discussed for weeks, if not months. Heck, there has been even an article on the front page for ages about the whole Lumia Cyan update and what it brings to Windows Phone 8.1 - there's stickies on the forums (Developer Preview), countless topics that mention issues about battery life, reboots and performance issues, sd cards not being detected, etc.

And still the forums are being flooded with these kind of topics with people asking the same question like you did, claiming their device works flawlessly and they simple cannot understand what the fuss is all about.

You even call people out, ""whats wrong with you and your phone?"

In other words, people get tired of seeing these kind of topics - and you're indirectly telling them that they complain too much, since there's no problem with your own device and you tell others that you don't expect the same quality as former Apple user. Higher price doesn't mean better quality or support. People should not have to accept having a poorly working Phone because it doesn't cost you a rib or a month's salary.

If you understand what firmware is, and how it affects the OS/device in question, you should know that every device runs different hardware (NL920, NL1320, NL928, etc - thus uses other drivers. You claim to know a fair bit about it, but thats a bit contradictionary to your first post.

I'm sorry that people treat you like dirt, but you have to understand that if you're creating a topic like this, wondering what the Cyan update is all about, wondering how this affects the performance and such, you clearly didn't bother to check the forums at all (I mean seriously, it's really hard to *not* see all the topics about people running into issues).

If you want to see whats in the Cyan update, check out this front page article.

And thats why people treat you like an *****.

Again, no personal attack meant. Just explaining why people react this way. :wink: I'm glad your device works great - I have a Lumia 1320 myself and I too find no real problems. My buddy has a NL928 and its become real sluggish, burns through its battery in six hours. So I hope that the cyan updates solves at least a few of these issues people have been complaining about.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is sad really. What everyone should be screaming for is better Skype, better Facebook, better Twitter, better Whatsapp. Microsoft has made a huge leap as far as updating the software is concerned. Still all these apps are ruining day to day user experience. Not the OS. Yes, a firmware to match software to fix hardware specific issues is a good thing, a really good thing. The reason you've never had to think of firmware updates on your iPhone is because it has a single manufacturer of software and hardware - Apple. You never had a luxury of choosing between 10 different brands and types of hardware.

On WP, we have tons of OEMs that make one model a year to 6 a year. WP8.1 update comes to ALL WP handsets. That means it is a software update coming from Microsoft to following handsets:
Nokia Lumia 520,
520T,
630 Dual SIM,
720T,
920T,
925T,
Icon,
1320 and
Also, HTC 8S,
8X,
8XT.
Samsung Ativ S,
Huawei Ascend W1.

I may have missed out a few here but that makes it ONE software update for 30 DIFFERENT hardware configurations.

When was the last time an iPhone software update was applicable to more than 3 different iPhone hardware, made by 3 different OEMs?

You see why Cyan is so critical for the masses?

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Why Lumia Cyan update?

Because I have a 1520 and it's supposed to improve on the already amazing camera and also bring much new improvements to Creative Studio, etc. But isn't 8.1 basically incomplete without Cyan? Cyan is what makes 8.1 device specific (from my limited understanding).

I also came from an Apple iPhone and I was just as curious about the next IOS and what it would bring to my phone.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Watch the Cyan video on the main site - there's a whole heap of goodies coming with Cyan that aren't delivered with DP, not least the new camera stuff, improved Creative Studio and device hub.

Cyan brings handset manufacturer specific goodness.

**EDIT - while I was typing this, rpac said the same thing :grin:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Any chance we can lock all the threads crying out for when the cyan update is being released now? Since the tracking page is now live I mean.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
So why is everybody screaming about that update? Really. It works flawlessly here and I don't even get what that update of firmware should make better.
Might make things worse for some so then they'd have new issues to b!tch about. I generally look forward to updates but usually wait for the dust to settle and see what the first adopters start complaining about before I decide to go for it or not. My battery life is fine now, but better is always good and that would be a plus.

Maximus

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
for me it's mainly for the ability to store apps and their ever growing downloaded app data on micro sd. my 6 something gigabytes of internal memory screams for free space already.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have some stability problems that'll get fixed with Cyan and rolling back is not an option because WP8.1DP is way cooler for me than 8.0. One of my friends rolled back to 8.0 just to upgrade again to 8.1DP the next day.

Also, I love updates. I really love to update stuffs... even when they don't need it.

Jeremy D S

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Apple issues firmware updates all the time to deal with things like poor battery life, poor wifi signal, ability to bypass the pin lock, memory leaks, illegally storing location information in a secret partition and giving it to Apple without your consent, etc.

Nokia is working device specific firmware / hardware drivers to fix bugs with how the software interfaces with the specific hardware.

Welcome to Windows Phone.

wphashan

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
This is such a stupid thread. Updates are released for a reason, especially a firmware update... because the firmware needs updating. If it didn't, they wouldn't. It isn't rocket science. Just because your phone is working flawlessly doesn't mean others are (I have a few problems from 8.1 DP). There probably are problems but you just don't notice it.
+1

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I hope it fixes the BT issues 8.1 caused (like the car's track progress bar doesn't work, and the phone keeps oscillating between connections to the car and my headset if the headset is on while I'm driving).

On the other hand, I hope it doesn't unfix the Audible BT resuming bug that one of the builds of 8.1 fixed.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your comment.

I'm sorry that my thread sounds stupid. I've just gone from Apple to Windows Phone and I never ever had somebody asking at Apple forums what the firmware did. Because it just worked out of the box. Also if my phone didn't work good on the DP of 8.1 I'd move back to 8.0 which sounds logic to me. I won't go screaming at Microsoft because I believe that doesn't make sense. That's why I've became curious what this Cyan update brings. Appears that's a stupid question ..... fine.

I think I just got my welcome to Windows Phone users.

Oh poor little sensitive you. When you ask "What is wrong with you and your phone?" you get the same back. Don't be disingenuous and pretend you just asked something, you came out with hostility and will be met with the same.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Its coming when each carrier determines after testing that its compatible with their system. Which for ATT will be longer than most I'm expecting. So I am thinking sometime before the 8.1.1 update rolls out which could be very soon.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Now that you're on a minority platform, you too shall come to know the feeling that there is something good out there and no you cannot have it. Just give it time. :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire