New WindowsPhone convert: rants & Bing map's inaccuracies

Dichotomous Byte

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have just bought the Lumia 930, decided to jump onto the Windows Phone platform since I use OneNote and OneDrive extensively (I find them way better than EverNote, DropBox and all the other cloud storage services)

This is my first Windows Phone and I would just like to rant a little about the things that bugs me:

1) Windows Phone 8.1, similar to Windows 8/8.1, is a dichotomous platform. It comes pre-loaded have 2 camera apps, 2 map apps. I actually had to google to see which is the "default" one to use. Why can't they just merge all functionalities from both apps into 1?

2) Notification Centre. I understand that this is a new feature in Windows Phone 8.1, but it has a LONG way to go to get up to Android's functionality and fluidity.

3) A lot of apps are not as polished as their iOS/Android counterparts (Facebook, twitter, etc). However there are some 3rd party apps that are extremely well done (Readit, MetroTube). This reminds me a lot when Android was starting to gain popularity, and a lot of their apps looks horrible compared to their iOS counterparts. But they have come a long way now, and I hope Windows Phone gains substantial user base to get there eventually.

4) Bing Maps. I'm from Singapore, and I can't search a location by postal code - HUGE pain point for me.

5) Inaccuracy of location in bing/here maps.

I have seen a similar thread on this, and I'm wondering if this is a bug, or a GPS hardware issue. But whatever the case is, it's hugely annoying, and renders bing/here maps almost useless to me.

I have taken screenshots from my HTC One, iPad, and Lumia 930.

Apple Maps on iPad:
AppleMaps.PNG

Google Maps on HTC One:
GoogleMaps.jpg

Bing Maps on Lumia 930 (Here maps showed me the same location)
BingMaps.jpg

As you can see, I'm severely way off my actual location in Bing Maps. That's a good 400metre difference off my actual location, which AppleMaps and GoogleMaps are pretty close to. I'm able to replicate this almost everywhere I go. In some areas, the discrepancy isn't as huge (50-100 metres maybe?), but still noticeable enough for me to deem it unusable.

Has Microsoft identified this as a problem yet? Or does this only affects certain users in certain locations?

I would really hate to have to go back to my HTC One as that would mean my Lumia 930 isn't even capable of handling my day to day tasks. I'm not even bothered about the fact that the Windows Store don't have the top 25 most popular games, etc. I get that there's very little they can do to control the Apps situation as that is driven by developers and market demand, but Microsoft should at least make sure that their basic functions are working.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Edit: How do I remove the Attached Thumbnails? I attached the wrong png initially but it still shows up as Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• BingMaps.jpg
    BingMaps.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb