Am I the only one who hates WP8.1 ?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Got 8.1 with Cortana but not sure if I am that happy with it. Small little things have been taken away like the animated avatar on Xbox game tile, can't message facebook friends in the normal text message way, music crackles after every track, and now can't relax listening to music as complaints are made at how music comes out the loud speaker on some Lumia 1520 (which is what I have) Cortana is ok and understand that its early days...i just don't need to use her. I used indigo which is the same as Cortana. Notification centre is good but not essential. Would like to hear other peoples feed back. Would be nice

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Am I the only one who hates 8.1 ?

Not sure if you are the only one but I adore the update so far. The issues you posted are due to Lumia black firmware running on top of windows phone 8.1 on your Lumia 1520. cyan which is rolling out should fix these issues. Games hub,music can be fine tuned with separate app update from windows phone store. Cortana umm you can disable her by going into phone settings.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean no animated avatar in the games hub? I had a recent message and my guy came running in with a letter and threw it. That's definitely animated.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

The firmware Cyan update is meant to adress most if not all of those issues (wishful thinking). If you don't have cyan yet, consider rolling back to 8.0 GDR3 until the official release for your phone. You'll get to enjoy it a while longer; not like Nokia or MS release anything in a timely manner.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Hate is a strong word. I've used 8.0 and 8.1 and like you I still prefer 8.0 but I don't hate 8.1.
I'll never use Cortana, I'm fine with live tiles and don't need a notification center, and the other stuff just seems to be eye candy.
What they took out of 8.0 is what presently keeps me with 8.0 in the end.

​I'm up for a new phone this fall and I'll more than likely get a phone with 8.1 on it and I'll be ok with it. Things change!

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of usual comments. @jas00555 with regards to the animation I didn't explain correctly. basically I have the Xbox game tiles pinned to my phone. There used to be an animated man...not anymore. It's just a green tile with games written on it and a control pad.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of usual comments. @jas00555 with regards to the animation I didn't explain correctly. basically I have the Xbox game tiles pinned to my phone. There used to be an animated man...not anymore. It's just a green tile with games written on it and a control pad.
Current one looks boring. Loved the previous one on windows phone 8.0 where my avatar used to play hide and seek :winktongue:

AwesomeLewis24

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

8.0 was alright but I much prefer 8.1. 8.1 just makes my life so much easier with the notification bar, and that's just one example.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I hate the 8.1 people hub & no more msg hub.

This is my biggest problem too. It's the reason I got Windows Phone to begin with cos I loved the integration. It's even quite a deal breaker for me, but since there really is no better alternative and I'm very invested in the MS-ecosystem, I'll just have to bite the dust on this "issue".

Sure, it didnt always work properly and was very limited in functionality, but for most one-on-one chatting it beats opening a seperate app every time.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Hate is a big word, sure I have some minor gripes too but overall I really like this update!

gumblecosby

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
It feels more disjointed now when using first party apps due to the separation of the apps from the os. I think you should never see a splash screen when launching a first party app. Ie. Calendar, music, weather, battery saver etc..

I hope they add a toggle to enable auto hiding of the status bar like in WP8 in the upcoming gdr1 update

Its still pretty decent update and if the battery life is as good as WP8 when cyan is released I won't mind the other changes.

Santiago_Canepa

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I did never use wp7.5/7.8 but when I get 8.0 (L920) it was Wow, super fast, smooth, those animations, good battery life.
But things have changed and now the live tiles are useless. With the action centre I only use it for shortcuts. I really hate when an app says loading or shows the splash screen, I prefer the black screen until it shows up. I did never use facebook so I have nothing to tell about the messenger integration.
I hope that now windows phone will progress a little more on the side of those older consumers :).

dpkdayal

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Except Xbox music and Xbox video I like each and every thing about windows phone 8.1 now we have files manager, ie download option , transparent tile , Action center, universal app , install app in SD card and more

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
For the most part many of the issues you describe here are only minor niggles for most people.

The Facebook chat option in the messaging app didn't support stickers or photo sharing, Facebook Messenger is a worthy alternative with much more functionality.

The crackling sound you describe here, is it like a pop sound when your scrubbing through media? On my Lumia 520 whenever I skip to a further part of any video I hear a cracking/pop noise as well. I hope this is fixed.

Cortana is arguably one of the most fun features of Windows Phone 8.1 and it has made me a lot more productive, it also brought new life to the Windows Phone OS, Cortana is just amazing.

Other than that Windows Phone also brought support for a whole new set of APIs to create amazing apps, like the ones your seeing in the Store right now. Also brought the ability to store apps in the SD Card, VPN and file management capabilities.

It also resolves one of the biggest issues plaguing all Windows Phone, slow shutter/focusing speed. The new API supports continuous focus enabling you take much faster photos, Nokia Camera in Lumia Cyan and 1shot by Invoke IT Limited leverage this new feature.

Hate is a strong word, sure there are problems with Windows Phone 8.1(like Xbox Music app) however it is still a very amazing update.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm really enjoying 8.1. I've been running the developers preview for a couple of months now, and whenever I grab one of my 8.0 test phones I realize just how much I love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa