Preview for Developers 8.1 to Cyan Question?

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 with the latest Preview for Developers installed and running well. But I have heard that the Cyan update, while largely consisting of what I already have with 8.1, will also bring some incremental improvements or fixes to the hardware side of my device, such as touchscreen over-sensitivity and certain camera improvements. I also will be agitated if Lumia Black continues to show up under Extras + Info! Even if it makes no difference!

So I will try and "upgrade" to Cyan as soon as its available here in the States. My questions is whether I should I do a clean install? It is time consuming and a p.i.t.a. and would also be against the old bromide -- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But I have intermittently installed apps over the last few months, some of which I no longer use or want, and I was thinking maybe I clean up and resetup might clear out some chaff.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Until they fix the problem acknowledged yesterday (which may or may not happen), the answer to your question is simple. You will not even see the update unless you reinstall the commercial release first. As per their press release they are halting distribution of Cyan to handsets running the DP due to problems.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
They have not halted cyan but latest version of dp 12400. So people don't install it ans they can get cyan update

Its not that folks who have got v12400 yesterday wont get Cyan update. The issue is with those who have bitlocker encryption in their phones and MS is working to fix this issue for them. User who has received v12400 update will be able to get Cyan update as soon as its available in his/her region and it will not pose any issues. MS has confirmed this. Its just a rumour that people (Except for those who have bitlocker encryption) will face issues while installing Cyan who had opted for yesterdays update.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
ok kool then that's great...lot of confusion about it

I'd call it Mixed Up Confusion! So the above responses, while welcome, amount to me that I will be able to upgrade because although I had updated to v12400 I don't have bitlocker encryption (at least not that I'm aware of). But the question still stands, is there any need or benefit from doing a clean install of Cyan?

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes I think formatting yr phone after software update is good for good battery life and no bugs.
Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Apparenly Microsoft pulled the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview version 12400 update. I've got Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview version 123897 on my Nokia Lumia 521. My phone was off all day yesterday. Today, I've checked for updates 3 times. It stated each time that my phone is up to date.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I am planning to upgrade my 925 to 1520 thru re-contract. But I believe the carrier-based 1520 is preinstalled with Windows Phone 8.0 instead of 8.1. So my concern is whether I can download and update the OS from version WP 8.0 to DP 8.1 on the 1520 ?!?! This is especially after MS has announced they are halting the DP 8.1 program. Should I wait or go ahead and upgrade to 1520 ?
Kindly advise! Thanks ��

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I am planning to upgrade my 925 to 1520 thru re-contract. But I believe the carrier-based 1520 is preinstalled with Windows Phone 8.0 instead of 8.1. So my concern is whether I can download and update the OS from version WP 8.0 to DP 8.1 on the 1520 ?!?! This is especially after MS has announced they are halting the DP 8.1 program. Should I wait or go ahead and upgrade to 1520 ?
Kindly advise! Thanks ��

I was thinking of going back to 8.0, upgrading to Cyan, then reinstalling PFD and then downloading the latest DP 8.1, so that I would also get subsequent PFD updates, as I had been getting until the Cyan s.n.a.f.u. I figure to wait, however, to see if there is some clarity forthcoming, particularly since Cyan hasn't been rolled out here yet. If this is viable, then maybe you would be ahead of the game by being behind on the PFD, if you catch the drift.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of going back to 8.0, upgrading to Cyan, then reinstalling PFD and then downloading the latest DP 8.1, so that I would also get subsequent PFD updates, as I had been getting until the Cyan s.n.a.f.u. I figure to wait, however, to see if there is some clarity forthcoming, particularly since Cyan hasn't been rolled out here yet. If this is viable, then maybe you would be ahead of the game by being behind on the PFD, if you catch the drift.

Fyi, my current 925 was actually installed with the Cyan update 3days ago without any glitches as I am not a BitLocker user. Its just that I have been planning to own a 1520 since its launch. Now, with this MS announcement about the DP pause, I am just not sure whether to get the 1520 now. My question is after getting the 1520 and then install the Preview for Devs app, will I be able to update the default OS 8.0 version to DP8.1. That's my main worry !
By the way, I caught your drift �� & thanks for responding ��

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm just going to wait and stay with DP 8.1, as Verizon will take their time getting their WP 8.1 operating system + Cyan firmware bits out to us 928 users in the States. Long before then, Microsoft will have the problem fixed, as Microsoft is very enterprise focused. That's where Microsoft makes most of their money.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
There are reports already of further updates: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wind...mber-8-10-14140-0-Emerges-Online-451385.shtml

So I don't know whether to wait or go forward. I think I will refresh at all events. I think my screen is becoming a touch oversensitive and I have also noticed a few website shortcuts I pinned to the home screen have become invisible. They are down at the bottom and its all blank screen but the site actually launches if you keep your finger on the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett