switching apps and "resuming" issue

Ural Kemal Kavraal

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I wonder when will switching app be smooth. For example I start an app. When i switch back to that app after several seconds It says "resuming". It's very frasturating and annoying. I have lumia 920 which has a lot of RAM and good hardware. But It can't handle starting an app? It seems cyan update didn't change anything. Microsoft should respond this issue immediately.

Anyone using Cyan update can confirm this issue still exist or not please?

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
My 820 seems a lot better after 8.1 preview, now app switching is faster, but I did a hard reset when I upgraded - maybe you should try doing that as well.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I thought this issue will be fixed by cyan, I've Lumia 720 512 RAM :|
By the way which app are talking about?
Because some apps needs to be updated to support 8.1 and fix resuming issues

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My 820 seems a lot better after 8.1 preview, now app switching is faster, but I did a hard reset when I upgraded - maybe you should try doing that as well.

A hard reset will do nothing.

Wait for more apps to be optimized for Windows Phone 8.1

Liviu Avram

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Once again, I have no idea what long resuming / loading is. That 1 second? That's frustrating? Jesus.. You should be happy that your apps don't crash when you multitask too fast ( like on iOS).

Not a problem, I can live with 1 second of resuming/loading. I don't even notice it sometimes.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Once again, I have no idea what long resuming / loading is. That 1 second? That's frustrating? Jesus.. You should be happy that your apps don't crash when you multitask too fast ( like on iOS).

Not a problem, I can live with 1 second of resuming/loading. I don't even notice it sometimes.

Wow so when you have nothing better you immediately make assumptions about iOS.

iPhone 4S has weaker hardware than Lumia 520, yet performs faster than most Lumias out there. Apps crash on all platforms, not just iOS.

iOS and Android have much faster multitasking. But that's because the Windows Phone API isn't as advanced yet.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow so when you have nothing better you immediately make assumptions about iOS.

iPhone 4S has weaker hardware than Lumia 520, yet performs faster than most Lumias out there. Apps crash on all platforms, not just iOS.

iOS and Android have much faster multitasking. But that's because the Windows Phone API isn't as advanced yet.
actually its because apps haven't been made for wp 8.1, try using facebook beta, , calendar, photos etc, they will all resume fast. iPhones are optimised for ios every year, that's why its so fast.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
actually its because apps haven't been made for wp 8.1, try using facebook beta, , calendar, photos etc, they will all resume fast. iPhones are optimised for ios every year, that's why its so fast.

Windows Phone 8.1 aimed to add a small improvement in performance whereas some apps have indeed gotten faster, others like Xbox Music or Calendar now start slower.

Over the years the updates of iOS have actually slowed down the phones instead of making them faster but despite that iOS still has better multitasking.

However the condition on Android was similar in the beginning and switching between apps was slow, Android improved on that a lot and I believe that Windows Phone will too.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 aimed to add a small improvement in performance whereas some apps have indeed gotten faster, others like Xbox Music or Calendar now start slower.

Over the years the updates of iOS have actually slowed down the phones instead of making them faster but despite that iOS still has better multitasking.

However the condition on Android was similar in the beginning and switching between apps was slow, Android improved on that a lot and I believe that Windows Phone will too.

Six months from now, on this thread, you will tell me that Windows Phone has the best multitasking. Simple as that.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
ok maybe one year but by that time apps will be rewritten for 8.1. Stop doubting windows phone.

Have faith in WP.

Apps will be rewritten in just a few months, that's not the point. Even apps optimized for Windows Phone 8.1 aren't very fast.

Infact Microsoft's own app Skype is optimized for Windows Phone 8.1, it is terribly slow to resume and load, not sure if they are working on a fix for that.

Windows Phone 8.1 does not have a whole lot of performance improvements, maybe Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 has some improvements, but not sure.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
ok maybe one year but by that time apps will be rewritten for 8.1. Stop doubting windows phone.
Have faith in WP.

True. But, Microsoft is Microsoft.

Let me clear that up by saying Apple's AppStore vs. Microsoft's Store. When the iPhone 5 came, most apps were only written for the resolution of the iPhone's before that one. So you saw two black lines. Within some months 80% of the apps were done. Done only by internal pressure from Apple.

However 80% isn't enough. So Apple said that if you didn't upgrade your app it will be removed. They didn't remove so many apps but it was just the pressure. A kind of pressure Apple's got away with. They did the same with iOS 7. Because apps needed to look and feel like iOS 7.

To the point: I don't see Microsoft doing that. At least not the Apple way. You say "one year" ... rumors say there's Windows 9 (Phone?) in Q2 2015 this means that all the apps are updates to Windows Phone 8.1 and we're possibly running Windows Phone 9. You see, there's no point. It's always running behind. The only good thing I see is the universal apps and shared code. I would push my developers to create Win/WP 9 apps and would leave 8.1 for themselves to develop for.

Faith in WP
Honestly I do have faith in WP. Simply because they make the hard- and software. The only other company doing that is Apple. And, even if we don't like Apple, we all know they are the industry standard. Microsoft got my eye because I fancy the start screen and the idea of bringing Desktop and Tabled together with Windows 8. And bringing Phone and Desktop together in Windows 9. So the future is bright, but not very sunny!

Ural Kemal Kavraal

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

actually it takes sometime 15 seconds. Since it's a mobile phone, this waiting is too much

Ilestone

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem, would see a lot of "Resuming..." When switching between apps. The most annoying part however was that it also forgot the state of the app and reloaded from beginning. E.g. if working on excel, changes were lost, if playing a game you'd be back to the beginning. Disabling Cortana solved this for me. Had enabled it by switching local settings to US like many others have. Nokia 920 and dev preview 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234