08-07-2014 04:45 AM
47 12
tools
    I was watching CNET UK reviewing the Lumia 930
    great video but with a caveat. Watch it and you see the review of the phone is one of the best I've seen until the same old theme came out, It feels as the guys have an agenda mentioning this [The App Gap]. I totally don't understand this if you are going to review a phone do it by the phone features what it can and it can't do, specs and more... I know and understand how important apps are becoming for the every day user, but apps are not part of the phone core.

So I decided to look at some of the apps I owned and own to see how big the gap really is. Check the list and please don't be afraid to add some apps you believe are good it does not matter if they are 3rd party apps, like 6tags and 6snap. Note: I posted some games because I wanted to focus in other area. I know we have a huge stack of games so we are not short in that area.
    1. Accessory Shop
    2. Adobe PhotoShop Express
    3. Adobe Reader
    4. Amazon
    5. EBay
    6. Facebook
    7. Twitter
    8. Instagram [Beta] but is there.
    9. Whatsapp
    10. KiK
    11. Amtrak
    12. Another Level
    13. At Bat
    14. Bank of America
    15. CNN
    16. CNET
    17. Discus
    18. Dictionary.com
    19. Doorstep
    20. Dailymotion
    21. Emergency Kit
    22. Engage
    23. ESPN hub
    24. Evermore
    25. Eztube
    26. Fandango
    27. Fhotoroom
    28. Fresh Paint
    29. GasBuddy
    30. Hike Messenger
    31. Hipstamatic Oggl
    32. Hotel tonight
    33. Hues
    34. IMDb
    35. Intrix Traffic
    36. Mint
    37. Netflix
    38. NFL Mobile
    39. Network Speed Test
    40. Number Guru
    41. OneLens
    42. OneMusic
    43. ooVoo Video Call
    44. Pageonce
    45. PayPal
    46. PDF reader
    47. Photo Editor by Aviary
    48. PhotoBeamer
    49. PhotoFunia
    50. Photosynth
    51. Piano.Tiles
    52. Pocket Recorder
    53. Privet lite
    54. Rebel
    55. Remote Desktop
    56. Ringtone Maker
    57. Skype
    58. Sicker
    59. Telegram Messenger
    60. Textme
    61. Travel
    62. Truecaller
    63. Tuneln Radio
    64. Unit Converter
    65. Upload to YouTube
    66. VEVO
    67. Fiber
    68. Vimeo
    69. Wikipedia
    70. Walgreens
    71. GoPro
    72. Redbox Instant
    73. Wells Fargo
    74. Keek
    75. Vine
    76. CamScanner
    77. WeChat
    78. Hulu
    79. Roku
    80. Xfinity TV Remote
    81. History Channel
    82. Lifetime
    83. A&E Be Original
    84. Discovery
    85. Animal Planet
    86. Pandora
    87. Spotify
    88. iHeartRadio
    89. Shazam
    90. Beats Music
    91. SoundHound
    92. Google Search [Haven't been updated in awhile though]
    93. File
    94. UC Browser
    95. Flashlight
    96. QR code readers.
    97. App Folder
    98. ShopSavvy
    99. Stopwatch
    100. Surry
    101. Univision
    102. Domino's
    103. Zillow
    104. Group on
    105. Pizza Hut
    106. Newegg
    107. The Home Depot
    108. RedLaser
    109. McDonald's
    110. CarMax
    111. Best Buy
    112. Kids TV
    113. Pocoyize
    114. Weather Channel
    115. Zinio
    116. NBC news
    117. Fox News
    118. USA today
    119. ABC news
    120. Bloomberg
    121. Today
    122. Al Jazeera
    123. AP Mobile
    124. Site
    125. Prognoza
    126. MapQuest
    127. Priceline
    128. Copilot GPS
    129. Yelp
    130. Hilton HHonors
    131. TripAdvisor
    132. Kayak
    133. United Airlines
    134. Car Dash
    135. Alaska Airlines
    136. Scout GPS Maps
    137. Delta airlines
    138. Expedia
    139. American Airlines
    140. Hotels.com
    141. Translators...
    142. Compass...
    143. Orbits
    144. Avis
    145. Despegar.com
    146. National Car Rental
    147. YPmobile
    148. Hotels 4D
    149. N Spanish Translator
    150. Hertz
    151. Endomondo Sports
    152. 6 Week Training
    153. Runtastic Pro
    154. Health & Fitness.....
    155. PicsArt
    156. textPlus free text
    157. badoo
    158. Tagged
    159. Line
    160. Linkedin
    161. Pinterest Beta
    162. Nearby Live
    163. Vyclone
    164. Tumbler
    165. Groupie
    166. Ask.FM
    167. Haywire
    168. Nimbuzz
    169. Foursquare
    170. Tapatalk
    171. IM+
    172. Football Pro 14
    173. ESPN radio
    174. Basketball Pro 14
    175. Televise Deportes
    176. CBS sports
    177. NASCAR Mobile
    178. NBC sports live extra
    179. WWE
    180. PGA Tour
    181. Yahoo! Cricket
    182. Chase Mobile
    183. GEICO
    184. USAA
    185. Budget Buddy
    186. Fidelity Investments
    187. E*Trade Mobile
    188. Esurance Mobile
    189. TD Ameritrade
    190. ATM Hunter
    191. UPS
    192. Box
    193. Splashtop Personal
    194. CBNC
    195. Yammer
    196. HotSchedules
    197. Cisco WebEx Meeting
    198. Concur
    199. Ally Bank
    200. Amazon Kindle
    201. Audible
    202. Bible
    203. PublicStuff
    204. Politico

And more related to each one of those mention above. Plus the MS[Nokia] Collection. Yes we may be missing some apps like YouTube, but we have Vimeo, VEVO and others. Clash of Clans no, but we have Royal Revolt 1 & 2,
    Total Conquest, Throne Wars, Kingdoms & Lords, Hugo Troll Wars, Rule of Kingdoms and so on. So choose . The App Gap excuse is less than 10% and getting smaller by the day.
    07-19-2014 04:44 PM
    You've got all those apps on your phone (or is that your list of owned, including uninstalls) ?

... like to add Weave News Reader ( News consolidator)
    07-19-2014 04:52 PM
    You've got all those apps on your phone (or is that your list of owned, including uninstalls) ?

... like to add Weave News Reader ( News consolidator)
    I have close to 10% of the list. I have installed a least 65% to try it and see if I have use for it. Yes, owned and installs.
    07-19-2014 05:44 PM
    Are all those apps full feature parity with the other 'big two'? I would guess probably not.

Unfortunately for me the app gap is a small number of apps, but they are indeed a big gap.

Missing from my list:
    Almost all Canadian banks
    Sirius/xm (one of the biggest gaps)
    A working myfitnesspal
    BBM (yes I know the beta)

I lament this as someone who has been with WP since it began in 2010. The gap to me is as big as ever.
    07-19-2014 06:05 PM
    As a non English language user the gap is enormous. I would guess 1 out of 20 apps comes for WP, the other is analyst
    Android / ios only... Also the wp8 apps is worse than the android counter part (eg Netflix doesn't have seasons splits and so on).
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_sweden_243 using Tapatalk
    07-19-2014 06:14 PM
    Are all those apps full feature parity with the other 'big two'? I would guess probably not.

Unfortunately for me the app gap is a small number of apps, but they are indeed a big gap.

Missing from my list:
    A working myfitnesspal

I lament this as someone who has been with WP since it began in 2010. The gap to me is as big as ever.
    Yes they all are full feature party apps. I clear stated which ones are not in my note. I understand the gap can vary by person to person but in general the gap is closing really fast. We don't even have all U.S.A banks but they are coming; I never use myfinesspal but it is there are other good health apps available.
    07-19-2014 06:18 PM
    Think about it this way. It is a great OS and it is extremely underrated. However it does not do anything radically better than the competition. Because so they don't bother going into how the OS works and how smooth it is. They are then only focusing on what other people use their smartphones for; which are apps. If they can do something which makes navigating your phone easier or more intuitive, it will always be about apps.
    07-19-2014 06:22 PM
    I think at this stage, it's easier to list what's missing.

Slack and Foogi for me.
    jlzimmerman and bsbharath1987 like this.
    07-19-2014 06:24 PM
    I believe that as soon as 8.1 goes live, things will get serious. It adds so many things that will definitely bring people in. Like pretend you were a life long android user just browsing at the windows phone os. It would more than likely laugh. but things like the action center and volume controls are small things that people look for. I just think that Microsoft isn't taking this whole 8.1 update seriously, or the entire os seriously. As soon as they do this, app developers are going to finally see potential (hopefully) and start developing apps for the Windows Phone os.
    jordanzhninja and wpn00b like this.
    07-19-2014 08:26 PM
    I will be posting new apps every day as soon I learn from them.
    Nokia Pocket Magnifier 2014
    Climatology 7/15/2014
    Video Tuner [MS] 7/15/2014
    Adidas miCoach. 7/20/14
    Video Calling Via Tango 7/16/2014
    07-20-2014 09:13 AM
    Take eBay, for example. I just tried to review offers I have and I get a nice warning saying I can't review my offers and I need to use a browser. You call that full featured? 😞
    07-20-2014 09:23 AM

Missing from my list:
    A working myfitnesspal

Sirius XM is one of the apps
    am waiting for!
    Jorge Holguin likes this.
    07-20-2014 09:36 AM
    Getting most major banks and credit card companies in the fold would pacify a lot of people. I myself didn't groan about my bank not having an app (mainly because it's a credit union that has NO apps), but now that I moved to bank of America who has an app I can appreciate the convenience of never having to visit or even call the bank anymore.
    wpn00b and Jorge Holguin like this.
    07-20-2014 09:49 AM
    Take eBay, for example. I just tried to review offers I have and I get a nice warning saying I can't review my offers and I need to use a browser. You call that full featured?
    It is featured. There is a difference between featured and updated. And as WP 8.1 is getting released updates will be coming it just doesn't make sense to update your app if the OS is not fully ready. What I've been noticing is as 8.1 is rolling out updates are coming.
    07-20-2014 09:52 AM
    For me, missing apps are Vodafone uk and Nationwide (building society). But then that's no big deal - I use the mobile browser or wait till I get to my PC.
    07-20-2014 10:01 AM
    What I'm saying to think is that what they do is either just go with the "they still don't have any apps" story without even checking. Or they would check... but, for like one or two random unpopular apps that they use. It probably goes like this.
    > searches for first app
    > is not there
    > searches for second app
    > that one not there too
    Then they just go like "yup, the app gap is still there".... Just unf*cking believable. Trust me man, the last place you want to check for news and reviews is Cnet.
    07-20-2014 10:12 AM
    I checked The Verge's review on Windows Phone 8.1 (yes I know it's not a phone review but still). And I though that it would be a biased review. But no, it was actually a fair review. I know respect the guys at The Verge. They make fair reviews.
    07-20-2014 10:15 AM
    What I'm saying to think is that what they do is either just go with the "they still don't have any apps" story without even checking. Or they would check... but, for like one or two random unpopular apps that they use. It probably goes like this.
    > searches for first app
    > is not there
    > searches for second app
    > that one not there too
    Then they just go like "yup, the app gap is still there".... Just unf*cking believable. Trust me man, the last place you want to check for news and reviews is Cnet.
    I agree 100% but you have to be open to listen to others so we don't live in a bubble.
    07-20-2014 10:18 AM
    Dish Network's sling app... Something I have been dreaming for...

Anyone who says there is not a app gap, does not have a lot of apps. No question in my mind there is STILL a app gap on Windows Phone, Sure they have a lot of common apps now, it but, there are applications and games released every day, and some AAA titles but, not for Windows Phone....

Think of Cut the Rope for example, yea, we got the first 2 but, there is 3-4 more that we don't have. Then we have quality problems on apps, sure most apps have original apps or 3rd party apps but, the app refinement is not to the level as iOS or Android...(my wife had a 928 for a while coming from a iPhone 4, she showed me 25 apps one by one and compared them to the iPhone version, no question there is an issue here)
    07-21-2014 12:13 AM
    It's not so much about the app gap, it's mostly about perception of mobile support.
    When a company is releasing a mobile app, everybody (literally, everybody) is expecting it to be released on Android and iOS, because it's already usual and normal, while WP (unfortunately) is getting less attention and every time we get an official big app (anyone: Instagram, BBM, etc etc) WP community somehow "celebrates".
    When the perception itself will be changed, there should not be any more tears and complaints about "App gap".
    07-21-2014 08:39 AM
    It's good to be finnish in this regard. Here Windows Phone has a very signifigant market share which leads to fe. local banking apps typically making their way on WP as well. But regardless the app gap is definitely still there for a lot of things I care about. I wish I had fe. mobile Armory for WoW or well.. any companion apps for new games coming out (for most games it's a non issue and just a quick novelty thing, but some have good stuff).

Typically though my approach is as little apps as possible. I think it's a pretty terrible model that "there's an app for that". I don't want to download a bazillion apps just to do one thing on each. That's largely why I got a WP to begin with, the integrated FB chat eliminating my need to have a an FB chat. It's definitely not the same to use the integrated SMS view as having to open a seperate 3rd party app every time I chat on WP. Makes me sad they removed it for WP8.1 though. Anyways, I typically use the browser based sites as far as possible, but there are a few things I like to have apps for, like for my bank and a few other things, but generally speaking I rather take good integration over an app and to this day, after over 1 years on my Lumia 920, I don't really have much apps installed and I'm happy and don't consider myself lacking much except the things I mentioned above. This is why the app gap never quite bothered me. Now if I could only have flash (as terrible as it is) in the browser and I could probably eliminate most of the remaining apps :D
    07-21-2014 08:44 AM
    I have both Android and WP and I like both for different reasons. I couldn't ditch Android completely and live only with WP though. Everytime I try, I'm soon reminded that I can't do certain things in an app which I can easily do in its Android counterpart. It's usually a small thing, but then the small things start piling on top of each other until it makes for an overall frustrating user experience. I'll give you an example. Yesterday a friend asked me to like her page on Facebook, which I did with no problems on WP. But then I decided to explore her page a little more, and found that I couldn't even enlarge the page photo. I tried it on Android and of course I was able to see the photo full screen. Is it a big deal? Not really, but it's an annoying little thing among countless other little things which happen all the time. Even the WP Central app works better on Android than on WP. How ridiculous is that? I was going to comment on this thread from my 925, but since I don't have a proper account, I need the feature to login through Google/Facebook/etc. Was it there on my 925? If it was, it was pretty well hidden. So I took my Sony T2, tried the same thing, and there it was, the option to login using Google/Facebook/etc. So here I am posting this from an Android phone because I couldn't do it from my Windows Phone. Ironic?

As I said, I really like my 925, but I also use an Android when WP leaves me stuck. However, I couldn't recommend WP to people who have only one phone and need to rely on it solely (which is 95% of the people), because at some point they'll be stuck against a wall while doing something important with no other device to fall back on. That shortcoming needs to be addressed as urgently as the app gap, IMO.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    07-21-2014 09:23 AM
    I will be posting new apps every day as soon I learn from them.
    Nokia Pocket Magnifier 2014
    Climatology 7/15/2014
    Video Tuner [MS] 7/15/2014
    Adidas miCoach. 7/20/14
    Video Calling Via Tango 7/16/2014
    There is definitely still an App Gap. To illustrate, rather than list new apps as they come to WP, make a list of new apps that come to the iPhone App Store and tell us if they are also available on Windows Phone. I think it will be enlightening.
    07-21-2014 11:13 AM
    There is definitely still an App Gap. To illustrate, rather than list new apps as they come to WP, make a list of new apps that come to the iPhone App Store and tell us if they are also available on Windows Phone. I think it will be enlightening.
    Why on hell would I do that? We already know iOS and Android have them. If I would have been interesting in any of those OS' I wouldn't be here. Just because it is new does not mean it will be successful and/or popular; small example Flappy Bird: it was really first on iOS never became popular until it went to the roof on Android. I just want developer get interested in WP
    Check this out. Windows Phone a target of more than 1/4 of app developers, despite market share | Windows Phone Central
    07-21-2014 11:54 AM
    Why on hell would I do that? We already know iOS and Android have them. If I would have been interesting in any of those OS' I wouldn't be here. Just because it is new does not mean it will be successful and/or popular; small example Flappy Bird: it was really first on iOS never became popular until it went to the roof on Android. I just want developer get interested in WP
    Check this out. Windows Phone a target of more than 1/4 of app developers, despite market share | Windows Phone Central
    That is, by definition, the "app gap". Apps that are available on other platforms but not available on WP.
    07-21-2014 01:00 PM
47 12