Navigon USA problems

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea where exactly to post this, so, I hope a mod will move it into the right category. I am having a weird problem with the NAVIGON USA app since (or slightly after) I upgraded my phone to the 8.1 DP back in time. I am not sure if this has to do with the new OS, the circumstance that I installed the app on the SD card or if NAVIGON changed their policies and now, a permanent internet connection is required. Here is what happens:

If I open the app at home while being connected to Wi-Fi, everything works fine. If, however, I am somewhere on the road, I receive the following message:

''An error has occured." And then something about the app not being installed in the proper way (I don't remember the exact words.) Now, how inproperly can I install an app when I download it from the Microsoft Store? :)

I don't have a data plan on my phone, so, mobile data is permanently turned off. It seems like Navigon (lately owned by Garmin) tries to connect to the internet on start up and then throws an error if it can't. This totally neglects the point of being an offline navigation solution! I am sure mad about it because this app used to be my favorite navigation app but, thankfully, there is still Here Drive+ and CoPilot (which I also own).

Did anyone else encounter the same problem with Navigon? The funny thing: sometimes it works on the go when I don't have internet but more often than not, it doesn't.

I have contacted Navigon about this about 2 months ago and never heard back. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times in the phone memory and on the SD card but the problem persists. My (tiny) hope is that there isn't anything wrong with the app but within the Developer Preview which may be fixed if Samsung ever releases a firmware update, otherwise, there is no point in keeping Navigon on my phone.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It amazes me that you have a smartphone on AT&T without a data plan.

I would guess that Navigon is trying to use A-GPS when you are not in WiFi.

Solution: Buy a data plan like everyone else does with a smartphone.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Give HERE+ a try, Nokia maps are pretty darn good, and they are offline. You can try the customer support number for Garmin and see if someone there could help.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

It amazes me how you think you can dictate to other people what to do with their money. I pay about $100.00 a year for my phone since I am desk-bound most of the time with a land line phone and I am on Wi-Fi 90% of the time, so, why would I need a data plan?

My entire point is that it worked before the WP 8.1 DP upgrade, I never had any issues. Besides that, why would I need a data plan for an offline navigation?

@Noahma:
Yeah, I have Here+ too. Still, I prefer Navigon above all available.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It amazes me how you think you can dictate to other people what to do with their money. I pay about $100.00 a year for my phone since I am desk-bound most of the time with a land line phone and I am on Wi-Fi 90% of the time, so, why would I need a data plan?

My entire point is that it worked before the WP 8.1 DP upgrade, I never had any issues. Besides that, why would I need a data plan for an offline navigation?...

A data plan was simply a solution. You can do whatever you want. AT&T requires data plans on all smartphones, don't be surprised if they require you to add a data plan to your account. It's in the AT&T's terms and conditions of service regardless if you have read them or not.

iPhone and Smartphone data plan requirements- AT&T Wireless Support

Is cellular data plan required for ALL smartphones... - AT&T Community

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Tumultus did not ask for the data plan!

Try use HERE Drive+ and HERE Explore Beta works well for me and my wife phone on lumias 810 (yes 810!).:winktongue:
I do not give a phuck for any data plan I use phones Pay as you go for many years. :smile:

I have T-Mobile.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Tumultus did not ask for the data plan!

Try use HERE Drive+ and HERE Explore Beta works well for me and my wife phone on lumias 810 (yes 810!).:winktongue:
I do not give a phuck for any data plan I use phones Pay as you go for many years. :smile:

I have T-Mobile.
Yeah, I am doing the same thing for nearly a decade now. The phone in itself isn't really important to me. Basically, I could take out the SIM card and use the phone without it since, as I said earlier, I am on my desk with a land line phone nearly all day. The few times I am using my cell is when I know I will be late for a meeting, so, I can let the other party know when I arrive.

Here Drive is nice but, in many ways, I prefer the Navigon app. It is just more task focused. With Here, I have to go into my contacts, tab on the address, open it in Maps and start navigation from there. So, essentially, I have to run 3 different tasks to start navigation. Or, I would have to write everything from street over city to state in one input field and hope that there is a matching entry in the database.

On Navigon, I simply click on the CONTACTS option, type in the first 1 or to letters of a contact and then tap on it in order to navigate to that address. Or, I can go the manual way by selecting 1 thin g at a time (state first, then city, followed by street and then house number) with auto completing lists, so, I can be sure that I don't type anything that may not be in the database.

Sure, in the end of the day, it comes down to preferences and, occationally, I am using Here as well. However, it doesn't explain the issues I am experiencing since the WP 8.1 DP update. A friend of mine has also a Samsung Ativ S and that one is still on 8.0. He doesn't have that problem, so, I wonder if this is related to the newer OS or something else.

@palandri:
A data plan would absolutely not be a solution to fix this problem. Why would I want to spend $50.00 or more monthly just so that I can use my Navigon every once in a while? Sorry for my earlier attitude but your first reply really came accross a bit rude. I am sure you didn't mean it that way.

Thanks also for the information on AT&T's policies but they don't truly apply to me. I am on the PAYG $0.10 / minute plan with BYOD.

mgerbasio

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
@Tumultus
Do you find the traffic and re-routing to be accurate? They don't have a stated refund policy or trial version and I've been disappointed with the free choices available including Here Drive as it doesn't re-route for traffic Hate to spend $50 and find it doesn't work well. I'm considering going back to a Nexus 5 for Google Maps.

Don't want to hijack the thread and will start another if needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes