I refuse to go back to PROD from Developer's Preview to get Cyan

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT

davedsone

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
This is all I hear from you: waaaah waaaah waaaah. There is a BUG, to avoid issues they RECOMMEND downgrading. Do what you want, but if you have issues it's your own fault. Also, it's about as technical as download recovery tool, plug in phone, press button, don't screw with anything until done, pick up phone. I have done it twice. Easy as pie.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Er, ok, then don't... Stick with the DP if you don't want to roll back, IF you need to...

Odds are very high that by the time we all get Cyan available(maybe another month) Microsoft will fix the "bug" that is causing data loss, so we can all upgrade with out worry.

Personally, *IF* I have to roll back, when it's available, I will time it out, finish the apps and games I need to, then do it. It might not be on release day but, maybe a few weeks later as long as I am not running into a major issue.

It is the best bet on Windows Phone after a major update, to do a hard reset on your phone, then don't restore your data. This will end up giving the best performance possible.

Personally, I lose a few apps (a few delisted games I have), if I hard reset, no major deal but, If I can avoid it for a while, I will.

Clemzo39

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
This is all I hear from you: waaaah waaaah waaaah. There is a BUG, to avoid issues they RECOMMEND downgrading. Do what you want, but if you have issues it's your own fault. Also, it's about as technical as download recovery tool, plug in phone, press button, don't screw with anything until done, pick up phone. I have done it twice. Easy as pie.

Downgraded to 8.0 though I don't like it, I know that it's for the best.

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I do get some of what you are saying. The bug doesn't affect me. But it is a great bit more technical to downgrade than it was to sign up for DP and download an app.

I'm not protesting on grounds that I don't have the technical skill to do so, as I have done it before. I am protesting on the grounds that it is a big technical leap from signing up for the DP for people that can't or would be intimidated to downgrade.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Then stop huffing and puffing and wait!

The 2nd WPC article mentioned MS was working on a fix, meaning when that fix is done, the update from 8.1DP should occur without problems.

The only downside is that you may have to wait longer than those who are willing to downgrade now.

d3ad connection

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, it's a developer preview and only should be done in the first place if the user accepts that there may be bugs/issues/etc and that they would be able to take care of it or deal with it.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to go back to 8.0 to update to Cyan. If you have bitlocker, then yes you have to go back, but there are plenty of people in the 925 thread who have updated from DP -> Cyan. So calm down guys...don't downgrade

Josh Gabel

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I do get some of what you are saying. The bug doesn't affect me. But it is a great bit more technical to downgrade than it was to sign up for DP and download an app.

I'm not protesting on grounds that I don't have the technical skill to do so, as I have done it before. I am protesting on the grounds that it is a big technical leap from signing up for the DP for people that can't or would be intimidated to downgrade.

Seriously? You refuse to go from a developmental release of an OS, back to the stable release so you can get the production update? You wouldn't go from a beta build of Windows and expect to upgrade to the full version, would you?

This is why they should limit updates to developers only. You won't see a true developer in here whining about this process. Ever.

BUDDYFUNLOVE

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep, beta is always a flash at your own risk scenario. I point to exhibit A, the terms you agreed to when voiding your warranty. Lol. Fortunately, I am on the icon which means I have months before Verizon will release cyan. Lol

Josh Gabel

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and I've done the Nokia recovery tool process. Your rationale is that people could be intimidated by going back to factory. Anyone with one quarter of a functioning brain can do it... blind folded.

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, it's a developer preview and only should be done in the first place if the user accepts that there may be bugs/issues/etc and that they would be able to take care of it or deal with it.

I think there has been an open conspiracy between millions of users and Microsoft that this was really a test drive of 8.1 and a way to get beta Cortana onto millions of phones. Heck, it's not even a conspiracy it's an open agreement. Developer Preview in name only. I think DP was on >5 million phones the last report I read.

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? You refuse to go from a developmental release of an OS, back to the stable release so you can get the production update? You wouldn't go from a beta build of Windows and expect to upgrade to the full version, would you?

This is why they should limit updates to developers only. You won't see a true developer in here whining about this process. Ever.

I think this was a grand experiment by Microsoft. And I think it worked out to mutual benefit, but particularly to Microsoft's for all of the testers they gained. They have been doing this at least as far back as Windows 95. Windows 95 beta was near feature complete and very stable and it was free. And while the fact that you had to start fresh with the final build of Win95 may somewhat undermine the point of my original post, it does serve to illustrate this tactic has been used by Microsoft many times before to get hordes of testers.

Developers already have a channel. This was something completely different with the name Developer on it.

d3ad connection

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Open conspiracy? It's not any different from Windows Release Candidates on PCs. Microsoft provides an early look to the new OS, but you shouldn't expect it to work like a stable release until they give you a stable release (over the air). Just because over 5 million people installed the preview doesn't make it that any less true.

Sandeep Sandrapati

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Do I have to downgrade my DP 8.1 to get cyan update..

I got to know that cyan update is available for India. I am using DP 8.1 do I have to downgrade to windows 8 black to get cyan update please clarify. Cannot wait if i have to downgrade I am ready to.. By need clarification from people who did it.. I am from India using NL 1520

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree it's not any different than Release Candidates. But the consequence to trying an RC is to buy the RTM version and rebuild my PC. The consequence (which isn't true, but follow my logic) to going forward to Prod 8.1/Cyan is use a Nokia tool that most users have never used before and is a unique process. Those two paths are different. Many more people know how to install Windows than know how to use the Nokia tool to downgrade their phone. It's unreasonable to expect DP users to do it.

I understand now through this thread that only Bitlockered phones need to do the downgrade to 8.0, at least, I think I am more sure of it than I was coming in.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Although many ignored it, the reality is that this is a developer preview. As in IT guy, for over 45 years, I know that most developers are used to having to undo and redo things, that's why we tend to have development hardware.

If you chose to use the DP, you have to accept things like that.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Although many ignored it, the reality is that this is a developer preview. As in IT guy, for over 45 years, I know that most developers are used to having to undo and redo things, that's why we tend to have development hardware.

If you chose to use the DP, you have to accept things like that.

Agreed - it's the reason why phrases like this exist: Don't use beta/preview grade software on production/live hardware, unless you are willing to accept the consequences and pitfalls of doing so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99