08-16-2014 11:46 AM
135 123 ...
tools
    I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT
    07-21-2014 07:39 PM
    This is all I hear from you: waaaah waaaah waaaah. There is a BUG, to avoid issues they RECOMMEND downgrading. Do what you want, but if you have issues it's your own fault. Also, it's about as technical as download recovery tool, plug in phone, press button, don't screw with anything until done, pick up phone. I have done it twice. Easy as pie.
    07-21-2014 07:44 PM
    Er, ok, then don't... Stick with the DP if you don't want to roll back, IF you need to...

Odds are very high that by the time we all get Cyan available(maybe another month) Microsoft will fix the "bug" that is causing data loss, so we can all upgrade with out worry.

Personally, *IF* I have to roll back, when it's available, I will time it out, finish the apps and games I need to, then do it. It might not be on release day but, maybe a few weeks later as long as I am not running into a major issue.

It is the best bet on Windows Phone after a major update, to do a hard reset on your phone, then don't restore your data. This will end up giving the best performance possible.

Personally, I lose a few apps (a few delisted games I have), if I hard reset, no major deal but, If I can avoid it for a while, I will.
    greedypnguin likes this.
    07-21-2014 07:45 PM
    This is all I hear from you: waaaah waaaah waaaah. There is a BUG, to avoid issues they RECOMMEND downgrading. Do what you want, but if you have issues it's your own fault. Also, it's about as technical as download recovery tool, plug in phone, press button, don't screw with anything until done, pick up phone. I have done it twice. Easy as pie.
    Downgraded to 8.0 though I don't like it, I know that it's for the best.
    07-21-2014 08:06 PM
    I do get some of what you are saying. The bug doesn't affect me. But it is a great bit more technical to downgrade than it was to sign up for DP and download an app.

I'm not protesting on grounds that I don't have the technical skill to do so, as I have done it before. I am protesting on the grounds that it is a big technical leap from signing up for the DP for people that can't or would be intimidated to downgrade.
    07-21-2014 08:20 PM
    It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.
    Then stop huffing and puffing and wait!

The 2nd WPC article mentioned MS was working on a fix, meaning when that fix is done, the update from 8.1DP should occur without problems.

The only downside is that you may have to wait longer than those who are willing to downgrade now.
    Karthik Naik and Yanano like this.
    07-21-2014 08:20 PM
    Honestly, it's a developer preview and only should be done in the first place if the user accepts that there may be bugs/issues/etc and that they would be able to take care of it or deal with it.
    07-21-2014 08:29 PM
    You don't need to go back to 8.0 to update to Cyan. If you have bitlocker, then yes you have to go back, but there are plenty of people in the 925 thread who have updated from DP -> Cyan. So calm down guys...don't downgrade
    07-21-2014 08:31 PM
    I do get some of what you are saying. The bug doesn't affect me. But it is a great bit more technical to downgrade than it was to sign up for DP and download an app.

I'm not protesting on grounds that I don't have the technical skill to do so, as I have done it before. I am protesting on the grounds that it is a big technical leap from signing up for the DP for people that can't or would be intimidated to downgrade.
    Seriously? You refuse to go from a developmental release of an OS, back to the stable release so you can get the production update? You wouldn't go from a beta build of Windows and expect to upgrade to the full version, would you?

This is why they should limit updates to developers only. You won't see a true developer in here whining about this process. Ever.
    07-21-2014 08:34 PM
    Yep, beta is always a flash at your own risk scenario. I point to exhibit A, the terms you agreed to when voiding your warranty. Lol. Fortunately, I am on the icon which means I have months before Verizon will release cyan. Lol
    RumoredNow, damule6666 and nohra like this.
    07-21-2014 08:39 PM
    Oh, and I've done the Nokia recovery tool process. Your rationale is that people could be intimidated by going back to factory. Anyone with one quarter of a functioning brain can do it... blind folded.
    07-21-2014 08:41 PM
    Honestly, it's a developer preview and only should be done in the first place if the user accepts that there may be bugs/issues/etc and that they would be able to take care of it or deal with it.
    I think there has been an open conspiracy between millions of users and Microsoft that this was really a test drive of 8.1 and a way to get beta Cortana onto millions of phones. Heck, it's not even a conspiracy it's an open agreement. Developer Preview in name only. I think DP was on >5 million phones the last report I read.
    07-21-2014 10:17 PM
    Seriously? You refuse to go from a developmental release of an OS, back to the stable release so you can get the production update? You wouldn't go from a beta build of Windows and expect to upgrade to the full version, would you?

This is why they should limit updates to developers only. You won't see a true developer in here whining about this process. Ever.
    I think this was a grand experiment by Microsoft. And I think it worked out to mutual benefit, but particularly to Microsoft's for all of the testers they gained. They have been doing this at least as far back as Windows 95. Windows 95 beta was near feature complete and very stable and it was free. And while the fact that you had to start fresh with the final build of Win95 may somewhat undermine the point of my original post, it does serve to illustrate this tactic has been used by Microsoft many times before to get hordes of testers.

Developers already have a channel. This was something completely different with the name Developer on it.
    07-21-2014 10:21 PM
    Open conspiracy? It's not any different from Windows Release Candidates on PCs. Microsoft provides an early look to the new OS, but you shouldn't expect it to work like a stable release until they give you a stable release (over the air). Just because over 5 million people installed the preview doesn't make it that any less true.
    nohra likes this.
    07-21-2014 10:22 PM
    I got to know that cyan update is available for India. I am using DP 8.1 do I have to downgrade to windows 8 black to get cyan update please clarify. Cannot wait if i have to downgrade I am ready to.. By need clarification from people who did it.. I am from India using NL 1520
    07-21-2014 10:27 PM
    I agree it's not any different than Release Candidates. But the consequence to trying an RC is to buy the RTM version and rebuild my PC. The consequence (which isn't true, but follow my logic) to going forward to Prod 8.1/Cyan is use a Nokia tool that most users have never used before and is a unique process. Those two paths are different. Many more people know how to install Windows than know how to use the Nokia tool to downgrade their phone. It's unreasonable to expect DP users to do it.

I understand now through this thread that only Bitlockered phones need to do the downgrade to 8.0, at least, I think I am more sure of it than I was coming in.
    07-21-2014 11:11 PM
    If I downgrade from dp8.1 to wp8 wil I lose apps stored in SD card ??
    07-22-2014 01:06 AM
    Same qquestion... Can anyone tell that...if i downgrade to wp8, what will happen to the apps and games stored in SD card ?
    Just remove the SD card and downgrade. When it's over put the card in your phone..
    svknet and metalchick719 like this.
    07-22-2014 09:15 AM

Although many ignored it, the reality is that this is a developer preview. As in IT guy, for over 45 years, I know that most developers are used to having to undo and redo things, that's why we tend to have development hardware.

If you chose to use the DP, you have to accept things like that.
    RumoredNow, Geddeeee and svknet like this.
    07-22-2014 10:12 AM
    Although many ignored it, the reality is that this is a developer preview. As in IT guy, for over 45 years, I know that most developers are used to having to undo and redo things, that's why we tend to have development hardware.

If you chose to use the DP, you have to accept things like that.
    Agreed - it's the reason why phrases like this exist: Don't use beta/preview grade software on production/live hardware, unless you are willing to accept the consequences and pitfalls of doing so.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-22-2014 10:16 AM
    Nothing that major in cyan anyway, not worth the hassle.
    07-22-2014 10:27 AM
    I got to know that cyan update is available for India. I am using DP 8.1 do I have to downgrade to windows 8 black to get cyan update please clarify. Cannot wait if i have to downgrade I am ready to.. By need clarification from people who did it.. I am from India using NL 1520
    No, you don't need to downgrade to 8.0, only people who have enabled bitlocker encyption, enabled through corporate device policies (consumer devices do not) have to downgrade.

So, no need to worry, update your phone to latest Cyan firmware without worrying about this bitlocker corporate encryption issue.
    Moiz Mian likes this.
    07-22-2014 10:27 AM
    I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT
    I appreciate your points, but just bite the bullet and downgrade. I have used the DP extensively, but this 'official upgrade' from WP8 is more complete and hangs together better. There are some added features: Brightness profiles, 5.1 Dolby sound recording etc...

I'm sure upgrading to Cyan from DP would probably give you these features anyway, but wouldn't it be better to have a 'pure' OS upgrade just in case???
    07-22-2014 10:29 AM
    So... I've Read The Rules. By rights you should have gotten no response to your post. However, I'll help out anyway.

Sorry OP. I read the thread and as many others have pointed out - you are wrong.

For an outstanding example of the attitude you need to maintain when using things like the Preview for Developers program, please read and understand the following section from webOS Internals regarding testing feeds which is labeled, "Rules that you must agree to before using these feeds:" Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals If you can't maintain that attitude you have no business modifying any device whatsoever... Period. Game over. Stop. Proceed no further.

Conspiracy to gather testers? LOLz. Open call is more like it.

"There is a fix and I REFUSE to use it." OK. Doesn't hurt anyone but you. Certainly it is no skin off Microsoft's nose.

There is a $5.00 limit on the remedy you can seek from Microsoft if using the Preview for Developers is not a pleasant experience for you. You agreed to that limit when you installed the PfD App. I suggest you apply for that $5.00, await their determination of eligibility quietly and move on.

The rest is just useless and misguided kvetching.
    07-22-2014 10:45 AM
    So... I've Read The Rules. By rights you should have gotten no response to your post. However, I'll help out anyway.

Sorry OP. I read the thread and as many others have pointed out - you are wrong.

For an outstanding example of the attitude you need to maintain when using things like the Preview for Developers program, please read and understand the following section from webOS Internals regarding testing feeds which is labeled, "Rules that you must agree to before using these feeds:" Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals If you can't maintain that attitude you have no business modifying any device whatsoever... Period. Game over. Stop. Proceed no further.

Conspiracy to gather testers? LOLz. Open call is more like it.

"There is a fix and I REFUSE to use it." OK. Doesn't hurt anyone but you. Certainly it is no skin off Microsoft's nose.

There is a $5.00 limit on the remedy you can seek from Microsoft if using the Preview for Developers is not a pleasant experience for you. You agreed to that limit when you installed the PfD App. I suggest you apply for that $5.00, await their determination of eligibility quietly and move on.

The rest is just useless and misguided kvetching.
    Ha ha ha.... Kvetching... Haven't heard that word in a while. Well played sir!!!!!
    anon(8150199) and RumoredNow like this.
    07-22-2014 10:54 AM
135 123 ...