Guide: Setup a personal VPN for use with WP 8.1 and a Raspberry Pi

Gunmoulier

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks mate awesome guide!

I went trough the whole guide, server is running fine and the phone connects. But I'm facing a problem, traffic dont seem to be forwarded, when the VPN is connected my phone wont access the internet.

From my understanding the config
leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
means all traffic is tunneled, but it doesnt work. Do the rightsourceip need to be different from my local subnet? And since my raspberry pi is connected to my router is there any particular ports that needs to be forwarded?

Did you notice the new DP 8.1 GDR1 brings L2TP Ipsec support, what do you reckon? Are we better off ikev2? Performance/security pro and cons?

Thx anyway for the amazing tutorial, though you should add something about certificates. WP wont install ca.crt, so rename it to ca.cer and email this to your phone.

Last edited:

Powdor

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the setup. All guides arround the internet are basically the same. The thing is that windows phone adds the devicename to the username (for whatever reason). For the rest it is a standard IKeV2/IPSec setup. And works fine on a Raspberry PI. I prefer to use the installation through AUR. Although it means things will need to be compiled (and that takes quite a while).

I found some issues using your guide (and many others). One major thing is that the name and location of the sysctl.conf is changed (which was the reason no data came through) in Arch Linux (see archlinux sysctl documentation note on top of the document, I cannot post links here yet). The other (probably because I am not used to working with Linux) is that the iptables will not be permanent (after reboot) if you do not save and enable the service (Again check the Archlinux iptables configuration documentation, this explains how to make it permanent). I post this here so you can add it to your guide..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes