Is downgrade mandatory for Cyan?

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The bitlocker issue. Although, my phone isn't encrypted with bitlocker thingy and it is a 920 (no cyan yet), I want to know do I need to downgrade to WP8 when Cyan will be available, which will be in next 5-6 days. If it is mandatory, I'll downgrade just now to feel the old days of 8.0. :D

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The bitlocker issue. Although, my phone isn't encrypted with bitlocker thingy and it is a 920 (no cyan yet), I want to know do I need to downgrade to WP8 when Cyan will be available, which will be in next 5-6 days. If it is mandatory, I'll downgrade just now to feel the old days of 8.0. :D

Until a fix is released and the block is lifted, that's the only way all Preview users will be able to get the update. They blocked it for all of them because it's easier than filtering out x number of devices and hoping they got it right.

You can do it now, but it may be less hassle to wait until the release is confirmed and out in the wild for your region+model, before doing the rollback, if you choose to do so. So more optional really - depends how long you want to wait.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
What if... Let's say, Cyan is available for my phone. I'm on 8.1 dev preview. I plug my phone to my laptop and try to update through NSU. Will it flash my phone with Lumia Black or Lumia Cyan?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
What if... Let's say, Cyan is available for my phone. I'm on 8.1 dev preview. I plug my phone to my laptop and try to update through NSU. Will it flash my phone with Lumia Black or Lumia Cyan?

Not having used it I couldn't tell you, but I would think it will flash whatever the server says is current at the time you try it. I know for certain Nokia's Retail Recovery Tool will put it back to Black+8.0 GDR3, as that's the most current commercial release (ie globally available to all devices, save for the 810 - they would get 8.0+Amber). When Cyan has finished rolling out globally, the tool will probably receive an update so that's what it restores when used.

NSU relies on the firmware being downloaded on the computer already doesn't it? (via navifirm).

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about it. Never tried. I'll have to search about it then.

Probably why MS recommend using the recovery tool I mentioned - plug the phone in and press go. It goes off and gets the correct firmware for the phone that's plugged in.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
When the phone restarts, its screen will go red with a progress bar - that's normal. When the bar is full the screen will go green and restart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium