"Phone" app is destroying my battery

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
My battery life has been horrendous the past few days, and I noticed that my "Phone" has the in-use battery consumption bar filled to its maximum. Why is this? It is draining my battery hard (15% an hour). This is new and is quite bothersome. Is this happening to anyone else? Did a soft reset to see if it would "unlock" it, but no dice.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
My battery life has been horrendous the past few days, and I noticed that my "Phone" has the in-use battery consumption bar filled to its maximum. Why is this? It is draining my battery hard (15% an hour). This is new and is quite bothersome. Is this happening to anyone else? Did a soft reset to see if it would "unlock" it, but no dice.
you have been calling people more than you use apps, that's why the consumption is so high. Also there are a few ways to solve battery problems 8.1.

Disable mobile data if you're not using 2g/3g/4g etc, disable wifi if you're not using it.
Disable bluetooth if you're not using it and disable tap+send features if you're not using them either.
Lastly, disable the background task for battery saver using the battery saver app. All it does is update the tile in realtime. Battery saver mode will still run fine.

If you still have a bad battery, start fresh by doing a hard reset and not restoring from a backup.
Someone seriously to make a sticky thread on how to solve battery problems on 8.1.

Update: OMG Sam Sabri liked my post!

Last edited:

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
you have been calling people more than you use apps, that's why the consumption is so high. Also there are a few ways to solve battery problems 8.1.

Disable mobile data if you're not using 2g/3g/4g etc, disable wifi if you're not using it.
Disable bluetooth if you're not using it and disable tap+send features if you're not using them either.
Lastly, disable the background task for battery saver using the battery saver app. All it does is update the tile in realtime. Battery saver mode will still run fine.

That would be the obvious answer, wouldn't it? This has never been like this, even after 30 minute phone calls. Never since using the phone since March have I seen the consumption go that high, nor have I seen it on any of my phones. And all of that is disabled.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

If you still have a bad battery, start fresh by doing a hard reset and not restoring from a backup.
Someone seriously to make a sticky thread on how to solve battery problems on 8.1.

A response like this is laughable. I'm not stupid, I know how to conserve battery/check those threads before I make a post. Most of the time I've found with WP that things like this never work and there is no reasonable explanation why the battery is draining.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
That would be the obvious answer, wouldn't it? This has never been like this, even after 30 minute phone calls. Never since using the phone since March have I seen the consumption go that high, nor have I seen it on any of my phones. And all of that is disabled.
I think you might need to do a hard reset or..... you need to start your phone from fresh.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
[/B]

A response like this is laughable. I'm not stupid, I know how to conserve battery/check those threads before I make a post. Most of the time I've found with WP that things like this never work and there is no reasonable explanation why the battery is draining.
Well it's either you do nothing and suffer or try and solve the problem. Choice is yours.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Well it's either you do nothing and suffer or try and solve the problem. Choice is yours.

Hence why I made a thread. But when people reply with stock answers with a boatload of obvious solutions that everyone tries, it's not always helpful. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and what they did (even if it's a hard reset) to solve it.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Are you on 8.1 official or 8.1 DP? Basically I had high drain on my 1520 on 8.1DP do I rolled back to 8.0 and waited for the official launch with cyan. Now I get on average 14 hours of battery. That includes display setting to high and I am on heavy net usage. Maybe a little game here and there..but yeah...all backgrounds are off apart from whatsapp and facebook

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Are you on 8.1 official or 8.1 DP? Basically I had high drain on my 1520 on 8.1DP do I rolled back to 8.0 and waited for the official launch with cyan. Now I get on average 14 hours of battery. That includes display setting to high and I am on heavy net usage. Maybe a little game here and there..but yeah...all backgrounds are off apart from whatsapp and facebook

I'm on 8.1 DP.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it's happened to me recently and was destroying my battery as well as heating up. Where I used to get 24 hrs a day has now been reduced to about 12-13 hrs and the culprit was always the phone and messaging apps. Battery Saver showed usage for the phone and messaging apps almost at max and the phone would get really hot. I thought it might have been some rogue app that was updated or I recently installed so I deleted some apps that I didn't really need and shut the phone down for like 15 minutes. Booted it back up and it cycled a couple of times. It hasn't happened since and battery life is back to semi-normal with about 17 hrs. It seems like the phone app was stuck doing something in the background. It was definitely weird. Turn the phone off for like 15 minutes and let it cool down then turn it back on and see if that helps. It could definitely be a driver issue that Cyan may resolve.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's happened to me recently and was destroying my battery as well as heating up. Where I used to get 24 hrs a day has now been reduced to about 12-13 hrs and the culprit was always the phone and messaging apps. Battery Saver showed usage for the phone and messaging apps almost at max and the phone would get really hot. I thought it might have been some rogue app that was updated or I recently installed so I deleted some apps that I didn't really need and shut the phone down for like 15 minutes. Booted it back up and it cycled a couple of times. It hasn't happened since and battery life is back to semi-normal with about 17 hrs. It seems like the phone app was stuck doing something in the background. It was definitely weird. Turn the phone off for like 15 minutes and let it cool down then turn it back on and see if that helps. It could definitely be a driver issue that Cyan may resolve.

Will try this. Thanks, mate.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I had a similar problem on my 1020, the phone app was by far top one when it came to battery consumption.
Now I would like to tell you how I fixed it, yet I can't. It,got back to normal by itself, I think I rebooted the phone once, maybe twice and of course enabled flightmode every night. It has yet to happen again.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My "phone" feature is my top battery consumer 90% of the time. It generally fills out the whole bar. And there's a reason for that.

When I'm at work, my phone is almost always sitting on my wireless charging stand. I'll send emails from it, text message, browse Grin (Imgur), tweetium, baconit, etc. All this time, it's on the charging stand. The battery app registers the use of those apps as going off of power, not battery.

When I get a phone call, I take the phone off of the stand and hold it in my hand. Thus, the battery app registers the phone as a battery consumer, not a power user. It makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure if that's the case with your phone. But if so, it's not battery drainage. Just a nuance of using a device while on and off a charger.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
My "phone" feature is my top battery consumer 90% of the time. It generally fills out the whole bar. And there's a reason for that.

When I'm at work, my phone is almost always sitting on my wireless charging stand. I'll send emails from it, text message, browse Grin (Imgur), tweetium, baconit, etc. All this time, it's on the charging stand. The battery app registers the use of those apps as going off of power, not battery.

When I get a phone call, I take the phone off of the stand and hold it in my hand. Thus, the battery app registers the phone as a battery consumer, not a power user. It makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure if that's the case with your phone. But if so, it's not battery drainage. Just a nuance of using a device while on and off a charger.

i think you've almost nailed it. The OP maybe just needs to disable the battery saver task. I dunno. Maybe even microsoft doesn't know. Windows Phones since 8 has always has always had battery drain problems for some reason. At least other storage was fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo