No way to downgrade WP8.1 DP to WP8

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi and sorry if you have tried this but could it be your autoplay settings in Windows 8.1 on your laptop as I went into mine deliberately and said do nothing when I plug my phone in. You can find it in Metro, Settings, PC and devices and then AutoPlay, you will see a dropdown for whatever you have named your 920, probably just 920 and see what action it is set to perform when you plug your phone in.

You said;

"For the USB settings, as I said in the original post, I have already tried that, without any success."

So you may have already looked at these settings, if so I apologise, mine doesn't show up anywhere in device manager as far as I can see anyway and I've used the recovery tool a couple of times before to go back to WP8.0.

Good luck,
J.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi and sorry if you have tried this but could it be your autoplay settings in Windows 8.1 on your laptop as I went into mine deliberately and said do nothing when I plug my phone in. You can find it in Metro, Settings, PC and devices and then AutoPlay, you will see a dropdown for whatever you have named your 920, probably just 920 and see what action it is set to perform when you plug your phone in.

You said;

"For the USB settings, as I said in the original post, I have already tried that, without any success."

So you may have already looked at these settings, if so I apologise, mine doesn't show up anywhere in device manager as far as I can see anyway and I've used the recovery tool a couple of times before to go back to WP8.0.

Good luck,
J.

Thanks for this. I will surely try this and get back to you.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You said;

Good luck,
J.

Nope :(
Still doesn't work.
This can only mean that the phone itself can't connect to the PC.
Either it's because phone has some missing USB connection drivers without Lumia cyan, or because there is a hardware fault.
I am just going to wait until cyan is released and then try. Or I'll have to send my phone in for repairs.

Hitesh tulsani

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have nokia Lumia 520 running developer preview 8.1 gdr1 in India and cyan is now available in my region but I am still on nokia black firmware so just wanna know its downgrading is safe and how much downloading is required

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
There's some instructions for flashing any ROM to any phone, as a last-gasp you could try doing that:

[Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho… | Windows Phone 8 | XDA Forum

A first try might be just to power off your phone before plugging it into the USB, then hold volume down and power until it vibrates as suggested in this guide. Maybe then the Software Recovery Tool will find it.

I am sorry that I forgot to reply to this.
I tried this method, but the phone didn't connect.
I am going to wait for Microsoft to resume the Cyan release for those on developer preview as of now, and then see what happens.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I may have an idea. Have you got Cortana? If you have that means your region has been switched meaning it cant be recognized. So switch back to India or maybe English UK on keyboard, region and language. Once the phone resets to English try again. Hopefully this may work. Never had this issue, never heard of it so this is a spur of the moment guess. So I could be wrong or a hidden genius *smiles* let us know what happened

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I may have an idea. Have you got Cortana? If you have that means your region has been switched meaning it cant be recognized. So switch back to India or maybe English UK on keyboard, region and language. Once the phone resets to English try again. Hopefully this may work. Never had this issue, never heard of it so this is a spur of the moment guess. So I could be wrong or a hidden genius *smiles* let us know what happened
I don't think this will work, as I have another 630 with it's region and language set to English (United States), and it connects just fine.
I do think that the hidden USB setting in Cortana might have something to do with this issue, but toggling it in WP8.1 DP didn't help, and since WP8.1 update 1, the setting is no longer visible in Cortana.

Still, I will try this solution and report back what happens.
Thanks, btw :)

NickelFocus

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Have you: rebooted your phone? (turn it off, turn it back on) often when the phone doesn't show up this is all you need to do to get it to show up on your pcs.
Have you removed all the drivers in device manager treated to the phone, then plugged the freshly rebooted phone in and let it reinstall drivers on the PC? remember the 1020 shows up as 909 in device manager.

dergutehirte

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
You dont need to install the driver for the unknown device. The point is you need to get the right timing. The timing where you should do the following is important:

Connect the USB end into the USB port of your PC. Turn off your WP8 Nokia Lumia. Connect the other USB end to the USB port of your WP8 Nokia Lumia. Press both the Power button and the Volume Down button. Once a vibration felt, click on Retry in Recovery window.

I tried severaly PC, Win8, Win7, x86, x64 and nothing seems to work until i find out that it is just a timing problem.
Just do like posted here: [Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho… | Windows Phone 8 | XDA Forum
And in the moment you press "retry" hard reset your phone and push volume up to get in the flash mode. If Nokia Software Update for Retailer fails, just try again until you find the right timing. Its a bit tricky but it will work!

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You dont need to install the driver for the unknown device. The point is you need to get the right timing. The timing where you should do the following is important:

Connect the USB end into the USB port of your PC. Turn off your WP8 Nokia Lumia. Connect the other USB end to the USB port of your WP8 Nokia Lumia. Press both the Power button and the Volume Down button. Once a vibration felt, click on Retry in Recovery window.

I tried severaly PC, Win8, Win7, x86, x64 and nothing seems to work until i find out that it is just a timing problem.
Just do like posted here: [Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho… | Windows Phone 8 | XDA Forum
And in the moment you press "retry" hard reset your phone and push volume up to get in the flash mode. If Nokia Software Update for Retailer fails, just try again until you find the right timing. Its a bit tricky but it will work!

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly try this and get back to. This is kind of my last hope for downgrading the phone.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
That's where i went, and they said they couldn't help me as I was running the Developer Preview. Customer Support here in India is freakin ugly.
Wait, how did they know that you were running DP? My friend's 520 had DP installed (WP 8.1 DP) and Nokia care updated his phone to cyan for free. I don't think they check such things?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes