No way to downgrade WP8.1 DP to WP8

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to fix this problem since a long time, but alas! I haven't found a solution.

I want to downgrade my Lumia 1020 running WP8.1 developer preview to Windows phone 8.0.
I have the Nokia software recovery tool on a Windows 8.1 laptop, a good enough connection to download the large files required by software recovery tool.

Now, HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I CAN NOT CONNECT MY PHONE TO MY LAPTOP.

The phone doesn't show up in device manager, doesn't show up for installing drivers in the taskbar, and doesn't even get recognized by the software recovery tool. Once when it did show up in the device manager, I tried reinstalling the drivers. Even that didn't help.

I have tried connecting the phone to different USB ports with different USB cables, as well as to another Windows 7 computer. I have also tried the USB setting in Cortana: Still no luck.

The phone just starts charging, when connected to a PC. Even a hard reset doesn't help.

So here I am stuck on Windows phone 8.1 DP with terrible battery life (which WAS NOT fixed by multiple hard resets, btw) with no way to revert to Windows phone 8.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Shouldn't Microsoft release a developer preview update to address this issue? I have seen multiple people on the forum having this issue. But instead of fixing this issue, Microsoft have suspended the developer preview program due to a problem which affects a fraction of users. It is really annoying.

I really need help over here, if someone has found a solution.
Also, I request you to read the complete post before suggesting something, as I have nearly tried every possible fix.

Thanks.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Use Nokia Software Updater for Retail version 4.21... Not problem on my 1520 going from 8.1 DP to 8.0... Give a try. Make sure you uninstall all previous Nokia applications, them restart and install the Nokia Software Updater for Retail. http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/fds_fire/1405/1213/7361995544/NokiaSoftwareUpdaterForRetail_4.2.1.exe
Okay I'll try this tomorrow, it is around midnight here right now.
Let me just ask one thing, were you able to connect your phone to a computer while your were on WP8.1 developer preview?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay I'll try this tomorrow, it is around midnight here right now.
Let me just ask one thing, were you able to connect your phone to a computer while your were on WP8.1 developer preview?
Yes and not problem, unlock the screen first before plugin the USB connection.

peter14f

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem on my lumia 920 running 8.1DP - phone does not get recognized by computer. Thanks for confirming that a 'hard reset' does not help.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Posted before about this ... it might be the cable, just because it charges, doesn't mean it'll carry data. If you have access to another cable, try that.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Posted before about this ... it might be the cable, just because it charges, doesn't mean it'll carry data. If you have access to another cable, try that.
As I said in my post, I have already tried multiple cables, including the one that came with the phone. None of them fix this.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I have used Nokia Software Recovery Tool yesterday to revert from 8.1 to 8.0 yesterday. Everything went successful without any problem and I am on 8.0 again.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have used Nokia Software Recovery Tool yesterday to revert from 8.1 to 8.0 yesterday. Everything went successful without any problem and I am on 8.0 again.

I am not questioning if the Nokia software updater works or not, I know it does. The problem I am facing is that my phone doesn't connect to the PC. It doesn't show up in the device manager either, so I have no way to reinstall the drivers. Whenever I connect the device, it just starts charging.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am not questioning if the Nokia software updater works or not, I know it does. The problem I am facing is that my phone doesn't connect to the PC. It doesn't show up in the device manager either, so I have no way to reinstall the drivers. Whenever I connect the device, it just starts charging.
Bing search usb, check your usb settings. If there are still problems then try installing the drivers manually from the internet.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Bing search usb, check your usb settings. If there are still problems then try installing the drivers manually from the internet.
For the USB settings, as i said in the original post, i have already tried that, without any success.
As for the drivers, my phone doesn't show up in the device manager. So i can not update the drivers. I have tried downloading and installing the Windows Phone 8 drivers, but even those don't help.

ame phirinyane

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
check if your cable is dual for data and charging.it happened to me only to find that my cable was messed up.so only phone was charging when I connected to pc.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3