Apps on SD card

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Phone was running 8.1 DP when I downgraded the phone back to 8.0 in order to get Cyan in the Netherlands. However Cyan isn't available and I needed my apps back. So I enabled the DP again. Replaced the SD card but now the phone doesn't show the installed apps on that SD card. Which is weird?

Is there anything I can do to get those apps back?

SRK62

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Encryption codes changed everytime you format or reset the phone. So u can't back ur apps
Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
It goes off a unique ID when the phone is set up, and apps installed/moved to the SD card are linked to that ID so they will function in that location. Hard reset or flash the phone, a new unique ID is generated, rendering those apps useless.

Windows works the same way in regard to user accounts - every account created is given a unique ID. Deleting a particular user and creating a new one, even with the same username results in a new ID. So you can't access someone else's files by deleting the account (to get rid of the password) and create a new account with the same name and a new password.

You can get the apps back though - just download them again. Except for ones no longer published of course.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It's a secure solution but why won't you link them to your Microsoft Account which you use to download the apps? In that case you can take your SD card with you to your next Windows Phone. Perhaps I'm still too Apple minded.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I suppose the logic is that since it's a new phone you'd have to re-download apps anyway, as some won't function from the sd card, or just can't be moved.

But tying it to the MS ID would make more sense. I guess it's just part and parcel of its core being Windows NT at the end of the day.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
For **** sake. Why can't they encrypt it by IMEI or anything hardware related.

I think IMEI can be replicated/duplicated that is why we never post them over the internet. I don't know if a developer device can bypass this as you can sideload apps on it.
It could be that WP8 offer one time digital certification during the installation process. So if your app/game doesn't offer saving of app data/ game progress over the cloud, you only have the option to reinstall that app/game and start from scratch. Same with those in-app purchases..😭

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I think IMEI can be replicated/duplicated that is why we never post them over the internet. I don't know if a developer device can bypass this as you can sideload apps on it.
It could be that WP8 offer one time digital certification during the installation process. So if your app/game doesn't offer saving of app data/ game progress over the cloud, you only have the option to reinstall that app/game and start from scratch. Same with those in-app purchases..��

Well here's my Windows Phone 9 suggestion then. Every single app you download, or let's brand them as 'buy' in the Store will be encrypted with your Microsoft Account. Same counts on your Desktop. Therefor you can simply switch phone. Yes, some apps would still require to be re-downloaded because of whatfor hardware reason or whatsoever but this message that the apps are just useless is so disappointing. Especially in 2014. If this were 2008 I'd be okay with it...

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I think this is already possible it's just that MS wouldn't allow backups on MS cloud storage (still SkyDrive by that time). We do have backups but only settings and SMS up to this time.
I don't know if I was only dreaming (as I have cursed WP before because of my faulty L800), during WP7 days you can restore from a certain stage when you sync your device the using ZUNE desktop on your PC, we don't have OTA though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire