Developer Preview, Lumia Cyan, and WP 8.1 Update 1

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
When update 1 comes out next week (assuming it won't get delayed - but probably will), will people using WP 8.1 developer preview have to rollback to WP 8 to get it?

If we do have to rollback, would phones like the 1520 on at&t get cyan first, or would we only get update 1?

Similarly, if we don't have to rollback and Microsoft unblocks the developer preview when update 1 comes out, would cyan show up and then update 1 or would only update 1 appear?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
There's a lot of confusion about this - an article did appear regarding not having to downgrade anymore, but it quickly disappeared again.

I would think it would be: keep preview, update to GDR1, then update to Cyan would be available. That's how I interpreted the article.

The rollback thing was purely to get Cyan as it was causing an issue with the current preview build. It appears (though it wasn't explicitly stated), that something in GDR1 fixes it, negating the need to roll back in order to get Cyan.

*disclaimer: this is my personal interpretation of the wording in the now missing article.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of confusion about this - an article did appear regarding not having to downgrade anymore, but it quickly disappeared again.

I would think it would be: keep preview, update to GDR1, then update to Cyan would be available. That's how I interpreted the article.

The rollback thing was purely to get Cyan as it was causing an issue with the current preview build. It appears (though it wasn't explicitly stated), that something in GDR1 fixes it, negating the need to roll back in order to get Cyan.

*disclaimer: this is my personal interpretation of the wording in the now missing article.

this. you will get cyan when you carrier releases it. cyan is a firmware update and is independent of the software updates ms does. cyan is just for lumia devices

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Cyan has nothing to do with eather 8.1, or Update1.
If you have normal WP8 with Lumia Black, check for updates on your phone, it will probably show Cyan as available. If you install that, you will be also on WP8.1. And when Update 1 is available (in about a month or more), you will get it. No needs to downgrade or anything.

The other scenario is like this: You have WP8.1 DP, and your Frimware is Lumia Black.
If you want to get Cyan, you need to downgrade to WP8. However you can just get Update1 which will be available for those on DP in a few weeks, and then wait for MS to push Cyan out to those with DP.

You can also mix these two scenarios and do: Rollback from WP8.1 DP to WP8, update to Cyan (you'll be on 8.1 then), and then join the DP to get Update1 before others get it.

In every scenario, you will eventually get both, Update1 and Cyan, it's just up to you if you wan't to wait.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Cyan has nothing to do with eather 8.1, or Update1.
If you have normal WP8 with Lumia Black, check for updates on your phone, it will probably show Cyan as available. If you install that, you will be also on WP8.1. And when Update 1 is available (in about a month or more), you will get it. No needs to downgrade or anything.

The other scenario is like this: You have WP8.1 DP, and your Frimware is Lumia Black.
If you want to get Cyan, you need to downgrade to WP8. However you can just get Update1 which will be available for those on DP in a few weeks, and then wait for MS to push Cyan out to those with DP.

You can also mix these two scenarios and do: Rollback from WP8.1 DP to WP8, update to Cyan (you'll be on 8.1 then), and then join the DP to get Update1 before others get it.

In every scenario, you will eventually get both, Update1 and Cyan, it's just up to you if you wan't to wait.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if there was some sort of order or not to have the updates.

Tomas Kavanagh

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back but didn't get Cyan. My cv is Hong Kong but I use the phone in Ireland (Meteor). So maybe it's best to stay on prev till after the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium