Apparently you can upgrade to Cyan from Developers Preview without downgrading

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Some people are saying here and other forums that when they use NSRT the program shows the Cyan update.

This is true, I have a 920 from Telcel Mexico running Lumia Black and WP 8.1 Preview for developers with update 1, it shows the latest firmware for my phone wich I believe to be Cyan:

Capture.JPGCapture 2.JPG

NSU shows the same:

Capture 4.JPG

I haven't updated myself because I don't know if this causes any problems, can anyone confirm that this actually Works without F-ing up the phone?

Last edited:

sez who

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
i did exactly this last night.

my 920 had the Cyan available but i was on Developer Preview so i didn't get it.
i was no longer willing to wait for the fix so i decided to use Nokia Software Recovery Tool to "downgrade".
it was not the case, as it installed the Cyan version directly, but take into consideration that yes, it wipes the phone if you're using the Software Recovery tool as this is not an "update" tool but a recovery one :)

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes I can confirm it worked, I just got an error that made me sh*t my pants that said that the software couldn't be installed, but I clicked retry and the unplugged and plugged the phone again and everything worked.

So yes you can upgrade to Cyan without downgrading if your carrier has rolled out the firmware for your phone.

Last edited:

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is an upgrade... I think it wipes your phone and just installs the newest software fresh... Which is why it is wiped when it is done...

This is basically the same as downgrading and upgrading. An update would mean everything is still there.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't say this is an upgrade as it does not keep the O/S on the phone and just upgrade the firmware, it wipes the phone complete therefore flashing the ROM (in laymen terms, it removes the 8.1 developer preview from your phone and cleans everything out, hence why you need to re-enrol to DP to get Update 1) and installs the latest software version that is commercially available for your device.

Hence why when you read the articles about getting Cyan onto your phone, it is referred to as "downgrading from the developer preview"

I am currently awaiting on Game Insight to transfer my progress for Big Business Deluxe to another device before I downgrade to Cyan. Since the back up system in Windows Phone is not as robust as it should be.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't think this is an upgrade... I think it wipes your phone and just installs the newest software fresh... Which is why it is wiped when it is done...

This is basically the same as downgrading and upgrading. An update would mean everything is still there.

Yes, it seems the concept of an upgrade is being misunderstood here. Whether the Nokia program offers the latest update or not, it still wipes your phone which is the real point of contention with the incomplete backup functionality in WP.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Some people are saying here and other forums that when they use NSRT the program shows the Cyan update.

This is true, I have a 920 from Telcel Mexico running Lumia Black and WP 8.1 Preview for developers with update 1, it shows the latest firmware for my phone wich I believe to be Cyan:

View attachment 78309View attachment 78310

NSU shows the same:

View attachment 78311

I haven't updated myself because I don't know if this causes any problems, can anyone confirm that this actually Works without F-ing up the phone?

Can you check your extras+ info and under more details what's the model number listed? (920.1 or 2 or 3)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
what will i lose forever even with a backup?
i know i will lose :
-pics
-videos
-music

probably app settings and game saves..

what else?
  • Pics - No, move them to a PC using a usb cable or bluetooth
  • Videos - As above
  • Music - As Above, if you purchased any music via subscription service they will be tied to the MS account you used therefore you should be able to retrieve them (providing you use the same MS account to restore)

Apps, you will lose any app that has been pulled from the store along with game saves from games that do not tie into the OneDrive for Cloudsaves (the same applies to app data).

I just wish people would stop posting contradictory statements as if they are facts....

What we need is a one click back up in the form of a application that is installed on your PC or MAC, even then that is not guaranteed to be "fool" proof :winktongue: .

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh well then its a "download and flash new firmware" thing, the point is you don't have to go back to WP 8 again, I'm not that tech savy. From my point of view it's an update or upgrade or whatever ou may call it because you get something better that what you had, whatever suits you, it's just a way to get Cyan without having to wait for MS to release a fix and start the roll out again.

And if you had a backup you can restore the phone with everything you had, it gives you that option when the phone restarts.

SumairB

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
It's like downrading and upgrading, but quicker than actually doing both. I'll try it out, since Cyan is available for my phone.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh well then its a "download and flash new firmware" thing, the point is you don't have to go back to WP 8 again, I'm not that tech savy. From my point of view it's an update or upgrade or whatever ou may call it because you get something better that what you had, whatever suits you, it's just a way to get Cyan without having to wait for MS to release a fix and start the roll out again.

And if you had a backup you can restore the phone with everything you had, it gives you that option when the phone restarts.

You may see it that way, however to class this as updating from the developer preview is incredibly misleading as MS has not resumed Cyan for the preview programme. I would suggest brushing up on your terminology :).

Also you are half correct about the restore, it does not restore everything - this is how it works:
1) Apps re-install directly from the store so any apps that are pulled from the store and were installed on your phone / SD card prior to a hard reset or in this case prior to reflashing. The pulled apps are not restored as there is nowhere to reinstall from.

2) Games that do not tie in to OneDrive for cloud saves, you will not get your saved games back for these games. However you will not lose your achievements they are tied to the gamer tag associated with the MS account tied to your phone.

3) Apps that do not utilise OneDrive to store app data, you will not get this back either

4) Contacts are linked to the account you saved them under, so if you don't sync the contacts for these accounts - you lose them. However if you have save contacts under the MS account tied to your phone (your main account), you cannot turn off contact sync. The Same applies to everything else apart from email. However any other account you add, you get the option to sync contacts, calendar, email and tasks.

I hope the above helps alleviate any confusion you may have in how the restore currently works on windows phone.

If you are on update 1 developer preview:
1) back up
2) reflash
3) re-enroll
4) update to GDR1 (update 1)
5) do a hard reset and then restore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss