WP 7 hurting WP 8.1

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I want to share this small story; it happened last night and it have a good ending for WP.

Everything started when two of my coworkers told me one after the other "I am getting the iPhone 6" "me too" said the other one. I asked why? One said "well I am going to get a new phone and now that the iPhone has a bigger screen I am going to get it." The other said "well is a new iPhone" that's fair I replied. Looking at their phone I realized that they really need to update, one of them has the same phone he bought 6 yrs ago and the other has a Galaxy 2. As a WP fan I saw the opportunity to attack and lobby for WP. First as a good sale person I praised and give the iPhone the respect it deserve [ I did that to open their mind so the could pay attention.] Then I used the iPhone greatest weakness [the battery], I ask "do you guys know about the iPhone battery problem, right?" Thankfully they said "yes" making my life easier. "So, if you know that why would you buy the same thing in a new body but with the same issues?" "It is better for you to keep you current phone that spend above $500 for a phone that the battery won't last ." "But it will last 24 hrs" one replied. Well maybe if you keep it in your package or house" I replied back. I continue "look you will regret you bought this phone two moths later when you realized is the same old iPhone just with a new make up," and for this I actually got another coworker that regretted buy the 5S I called her and she told them "I sold it a month later got my old 4s and didn't lose too much $." Have you guys seen the Lincoln Navigator? "yes" they said, great SUV I said but you know why it doesn't sell? Because is the same old truck from 10 yrs ago that make you buy gas every time you go to the store, would you buy it knowing this just because is a 2014 model?" "No." So, why would you buy the iPhone, then? Nodding they agree.
Why don't you stick with Android, or even better get a WP and there was when the sad reality about WP hit me right in the face, WP7 is still hunting MS and its WP. "I don't like WP" said the other "I don't know WP." I was more worried about that one that didn't like WP. Why I asked "Well is slow, no attractive I own a W 8.1 laptop and I love it but I don't like WP." When was the last time you used it? "Two yrs ago" I was so surprised, just for the fact that he owns a W8.1 laptop but haven't hear about WP8 and/or WP8.1. I have the Lumias 925 DP and when I showed them how much you can customized, notification center and what's coming they were impressed but when I showed them the start of WP [Cortana] and all what she can do they were amazed. To end up the story and don't get you tired of reading let me finish by tell you that one of them call me on our break to show me he bid $100 for the 1520 on eBay and the other won't buy the iPhone. Why I am happy? Well because I stop two guys from getting the iPhone and make one of them to actually bid for the 1520. But this show is that MS hasn't work hard enough to get the bad taste WP7 left in many user. Every time I heard people "I don't like WP" more likely than not they haven't use WP 8/8.1

Last edited:

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Kudos for pointing them in the right direction. It's sneaky on your part to drop their guard with a compliment, but hey I do that too, otherwise they won't listen.

My experience in showing folks the benefits of WP usually goes well, but then they almost inevitably buy that iPhone. There's just too much pressure it seems for people to buy whatever is popular, so it is a uphill battle the entire way. There are some folks I know that if I told them that WP now has the exact same apps as iOS, a better Cortana, sync and play any kind of media file, is able to print money and they still won't want to switch. Entrenched. I don't know what it is, but that Kool Aid is strong.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I forgot t mention that I was open with the app situation. You know that they have 1,000,000 and we 300,000 and growing. And I mention that Youtube and any other Google's app. And this is what he say " I don't care about Youtube I can use the browser" I showed him how good IE for WP is. GEICO[that we have] and Peoples Bank [We don't yet]. But He was ok with that.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Love your arguments..I see myself in your situations many times..I more or less do the same thing..And yes, those who have bought a Lumia cause of me haven't touched iCrap and Lagdroid ever..my friend still uses the Samsung W8..I think that's what's it's called..the old 4" Scamsung one..another friend recently bought 1520 and loving it.. "Keep it in the box or house" LOL..nice one..

Coded from a Clover Trail+ Machine!

4 fun

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Sales are all about "marketing", and sadly Apple is really good at it... Let the Apple falls by its own weight... :D.. I*♡* MY L1520..

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
In both cases its Microsoft's poor marketing that's the issue. Even though one said they don't like WP (based on his WP7 experience) and the other didn't know about it, the problem is they BOTH didn't know about the newer version of the OS which is squarely down to the poor marketing that has plagued this platform from day one.

And after the launch of the new htc phone it seems the trend continues unabated, as apart from the one stupid ad with Cortana there has been no advertising for the phone or the OS its running. Nothing mentioned app corner, WiFi sense, data sense or any other WP feature, just useless, joke telling Cortana. This is, and always has been, one of the major problems for this platform and Microsoft as a company continues to be the biggest weakness of this OS.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
In both cases its Microsoft's poor marketing that's the issue. Even though one said they don't like WP (based on his WP7 experience) and the other didn't know about it, the problem is they BOTH didn't know about the newer version of the OS which is squarely down to the poor marketing that has plagued this platform from day one.

And after the launch of the new htc phone it seems the trend continues unabated, as apart from the one stupid ad with Cortana there has been no advertising for the phone or the OS its running. Nothing mentioned app corner, WiFi sense, data sense or any other WP feature, just useless, joke telling Cortana. This is, and always has been, one of the major problems for this platform and Microsoft as a company continues to be the biggest weakness of this OS.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

You didn't say nothing that I don't agree... Many may called it cheap and tiring but MS has to use Samsung strategic work and come one with something similar they need to let people WP is here and is one of the best. Although, the little Cortana commercial can be amusing isn't enough.
Agree, you

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree that WP7 is still negatively affecting WP sales. For one thing, most casual technology users don't have that long of a memory of gadgets. especially with WP7's relative marketshare.

Second, at the same time WP7 was out, Android was at least as crummy as WP, as it was Android two point something, and it had plenty of problems of it's own. Yet today, Android is actually an attractive and reasonably well performing OS.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
WP 7 was unique but was half baked os.wp 8.1 is a complete os.but I don't know 😞 what will happen to wp in India with android one from google.google you already have 90% of the market share.still you are trying to hurt wp in low end.plz android one should die 💀 else wp in low end killed.
From Windows phone

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't agree that WP7 is still negatively affecting WP sales. For one thing, most casual technology users don't have that long of a memory of gadgets. especially with WP7's relative marketshare.

Second, at the same time WP7 was out, Android was at least as crummy as WP, as it was Android two point something, and it had plenty of problems of it's own. Yet today, Android is actually an attractive and reasonably well performing OS.

Here is the problem I agree that Android was bad by that time, but Google didn't sit around and wait they were releasing updates way faster that MS did and using the price point strategic that MS has to [ was force] to concurred. I liked my Radar by HTC but by the time MS announced 7.5 Android has released more than 4 updates [significant updates] I did not update to 7.5 when I realize 8 was coming and that MS would stop supporting it really fast.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
WP 7 was unique but was half baked os.wp 8.1 is a complete os.but I don't know �� what will happen to wp in India with android one from google.google you already have 90% of the market share.still you are trying to hurt wp in low end.plz android one should die �� else wp in low end killed.
From Windows phone
This is what I believe because nothing is written is stone. MS[IE] owned 90% of the web, Office was the most used product, Nokia and Motorola owned the mobile arena but hey that is not more. So MS still have space to make it happen people always want to try new things specially after been using a product for awhile. Isn't going to be easy and MS has to be more proactive than reactive but I believe it can be done.

Sooraj Prabhakar

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
WP 7 is like the first version of windows for mobile(if we ignore the older ones). So it's like android 1.0 as mentioned by John OMeara. WP8 has progressed a lot from WP7. I personally liked WP7 when it came out. But I hated absence of features compared to others(like file manager). So in maybe few years, WP will evolve more into a cooler phone OS and I really hope that it overtakes android or iOS in market share.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I want to share this small story; it happened last night and it have a good ending for WP.

Everything started when two of my coworkers told me one after the other "I am getting the iPhone 6" "me too" said the other one. I asked why? One said "well I am going to get a new phone and now that the iPhone has a bigger screen I am going to get it." The other said "well is a new iPhone" that's fair I replied. Looking at their phone I realized that they really need to update, one of them has the same phone he bought 6 yrs ago and the other has a Galaxy 2. As a WP fan I saw the opportunity to attack and lobby for WP. First as a good sale person I praised and give the iPhone the respect it deserve [ I did that to open their mind so the could pay attention.] Then I used the iPhone greatest weakness [the battery], I ask "do you guys know about the iPhone battery problem, right?" Thankfully they said "yes" making my life easier. "So, if you know that why would you buy the same thing in a new body but with the same issues?" "It is better for you to keep you current phone that spend above $500 for a phone that the battery won't last ." "But it will last 24 hrs" one replied. Well maybe if you keep it in your package or house" I replied back. I continue "look you will regret you bought this phone two moths later when you realized is the same old iPhone just with a new make up," and for this I actually got another coworker that regretted buy the 5S I called her and she told them "I sold it a month later got my old 4s and didn't lose too much $." Have you guys seen the Lincoln Navigator? "yes" they said, great SUV I said but you know why it doesn't sell? Because is the same old truck from 10 yrs ago that make you buy gas every time you go to the store, would you buy it knowing this just because is a 2014 model?" "No." So, why would you buy the iPhone, then? Nodding they agree.
Why don't you stick with Android, or even better get a WP and there was when the sad reality about WP hit me right in the face, WP7 is still hunting MS and its WP. "I don't like WP" said the other "I don't know WP." I was more worried about that one that didn't like WP. Why I asked "Well is slow, no attractive I own a W 8.1 laptop and I love it but I don't like WP." When was the last time you used it? "Two yrs ago" I was so surprised, just for the fact that he owns a W8.1 laptop but haven't hear about WP8 and/or WP8.1. I have the Lumias 925 DP and when I showed them how much you can customized, notification center and what's coming they were impressed but when I showed them the start of WP [Cortana] and all what she can do they were amazed. To end up the story and don't get you tired of reading let me finish by tell you that one of them call me on our break to show me he bid $100 for the 1520 on eBay and the other won't buy the iPhone. Why I am happy? Well because I stop two guys from getting the iPhone and make one of them to actually bid for the 1520. But this show is that MS hasn't work hard enough to get the bad taste WP7 left in many user. Every time I heard people "I don't like WP" more likely than not they haven't use WP 8/8.1

The grammar Nazi in me wants to string you up, disembowel you and feed your entrails to the nearest pack of wild dogs.

Good story though once I'd mentally corrected it :winktongue:

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The grammar Nazi in me wants to string you up, disembowel you and feed your entrails to the nearest pack of wild dogs.

Good story though once I'd mentally corrected it :winktongue:
I never through away construct criticism; I wrote this after 12 hrs shift [night]. Feel free to correct me is just going to be beneficial for me.

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
WP7 was not as good as WP8.1 and that's a fact! I liked the points you made though :)

Certain things about 7 and 8 made them a lot better than 8.1. I miss hubs. Real hubs. I miss integrated messaging. What I wouldn't give to have the old cursor back. And the Me tile! Oh how I long for it. Changing my profile pic on everything with one interface. Posting to twitter and facebook at the same time built in.

Yes, there are improvements in 8.1...but, there were so many unique and wonderful things lost in the update also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa