Windows can now control internet sharing on Windows Phone!

Bajirav

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at available Wifi hotspots and noticed that the name of my phone's hotspot was showing up in the list. I was pretty sure internet sharing on phone was turned off so I checked on the phone and as expected it was turned off. So I clicked on the hotspot fully expecting it to throw some error. I then notice that it started connecting and internet sharing was enabled remotely on the phone.

Was this always possible? or is this something new?

This was news to me (mostly because I rarely use internet sharing from phone) but looks like Windows 8.1U can now turn on internet sharing on a WP 8.1U handset.

Note:
  • PC and WP are both using the same Microsoft account
  • PC is Windows 8.1U
  • Phone is Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 latest dev. preview
  • Internet sharing was previously configured and another PC (with same MSFT account) had connected to my phone

tl,dr; I am happy that Windows can turn on internet sharing on Windows Phone.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It works over Bluetooth, so you'll need to pair your phone to your PC/tablet before this will work, but yes, it's a great feature.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thanks for this, it Works perfectly. I am running stock cyan on 920. MS should be advertising this kind of things, same as Apple does.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Good finding, but one question. Does it turn the phone's internet sharing on even when the device is locked with a password/pin code?

No, you have to unlock your phone if its password protected.

Wow, thanks for this, it Works perfectly. I am running stock cyan on 920. MS should be advertising this kind of things, same as Apple does.

When it comes to WP, Microsoft doesnt know the meaning of the word "advertising".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel